Gold / Silver forecast & how to invest in Gold

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL
Gold / Silver forecast & how to invest in Gold
The links below are to a recent two part interview w/ Jon Nadler, a research / investment guy @ Kitco.com 
He comes off sounding like a very well informed, reasonable guy; for someone in the gold business, he certainly doesn't beat the gold drum very loudly! Zero hype here!
The first part is a discussion about gold and the best way to invest in it (physical vs pooled accounts vs ETFs), the second link is his forecast for gold & silver.
Definitely worth reading!
Woodman's picture
Woodman
Re: Gold / Silver forecast & how to invest in Gold
I am considering transfering some of my IRA to an IRA with gold, pending more research.  My goals are to protect the value for 20+- years and hedge against the risks of inflation and low or negative stock growth.  If you have a gold IRA account are you actually holding physical gold somewhere or is it just "paper"?
gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Be careful buying paper gold or silver in these troubled times...

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/west102908.html

Golden Age's picture
Golden Age

Personally, when I go to the Kitco web site, I have, for a long time, avoided reading Jon Nadler's articles.  One day in the not too distant future, the bottom will fall into the economic abyss that the Fed and Treasury have created.  When that happens, Jon will fall off of his high horse/superior attitude and go down with those who continue to expect Govt to solve all of our problems.

Greenspan, Bernanke and Paulson have managed to ruin what was once the most vibrant economy on the planet.  There was ample collusion from those in the Bush administration and in Congress to facilitate what has happened.  The Bush administration, IMO, is the most corrupt administration I have witnessed in my lifetime. Even more than the Johnson administration.  And I voted for him.  Yell

john50's picture
john50

Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Gold, the metal that rallied during every U.S. recession in the past three decades, may drop to a two-year low as the threat of deflation curbs bullion's appeal.

The number of gold futures held in New York plunged 48 percent since its Jan. 15 peak, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Prices fell 17 percent last month to $724.55 an ounce in London. The metal may drop to $600 by yearend for the first time since 2006, said Joel Crane, a Deutsche Bank AG strategist in New York.

While gold rose since 2000 as the world economy expanded and the dollar weakened for five of the past six years, the Reuters/Jefferies CRB Index of 19 commodities lost 43 percent since reaching its peak in July as the seizure in credit markets caused economies around the world to slow and the U.S. to contract 0.3 percent in the third quarter. Rather than providing safety for investors, gold declined almost 31 percent since reaching a record $1,033.90 an ounce in New York on March 17.

``Gold is not considered a safe haven because investors are viewing it as part of the commodity class,'' Crane said in an interview. ``Commodity is a bad word right now. Through this whole credit crisis mess, cash has been king.''

Deutsche Bank expects gold, down 13 percent this year in London, to average $861 in 2008 and $750 next year. UBS AG last week lowered its 2009 forecast to $700 from $825. Gold for immediate delivery averaged $887.31 this year.

source:  http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a0JWfuD8k9Fg&refer=home

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Silver manipulation? Excerpt...

"I think the data in the COT and the Bank Participation Reports indicate that the U.S. Government may have bailed out the biggest COMEX silver short by arranging for a U.S. bank to take over their position. This coincides with JP Morgan’s takeover of Bear Stearns. In fact, it would not surprise me if the bailout was JP Morgan taking over Bear Stearns‘ short silver position, at the government‘s request. While this silver bailout (if it happened) was no doubt undertaken with financial system stability in mind, it has disturbing implications of legality and equity"

http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1226344970.php

KKPSTEIN's picture
KKPSTEIN

Anglo Far East Bullion Company has a background in the gold business for the last 100 yrs.   If you go to www.anglofareast.com, you will see Chris's Crash Course right on the home page top right.

If you are ready to postion yourself in gold bullion coinage or an off-shore gold bullion account, please contact me at [email protected].

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Free Lakota Bank-New Private Bank for only Gold and Silver Currencies!

I just received this from RTR press release! Here is a link to the Website http://press.freelakotaba...

DIGG IT! http://digg.com/business_...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

People of Lakota Launch Private Bank for Only Silver and Gold Currencies

Hill City, Lakota - November 24, 2008 - In a stunning development, the Free & Independent People of Lakota announced today the introduction of the world's first non-reserve, non-fractional bank that accepts only silver and gold currencies for deposit.

"Today is a great day for us, a day that we begin to exercise our rights as a sovereign people with strength and pride," comments Canupa Gluha Mani, Tetuwan Council Judicial Member of the Cante Tenza "Strong Heart" Warrior Society. Mani's 2500 member warrior society has contracted to provide private security services for the Free Lakota Bank.

"We invite people of any creed, faith or heritage to unite in an effort to reclaim control of wealth. It is our hope that other tribal nations and American citizens recognize the importance of silver and gold as currency and decide to mirror our system of honest trade." Mani, also known as Duane Martin Sr, is a member of the delegation that declared Lakota independence on December 17th, 2007.

The launch of the Free Lakota Bank is also an incredible victory for StrikeForce Technologies, the access control experts providing depositor Out-of-Band Authentication. As the Free Lakota Bank does not require a name, photo identification or social security number to transact, StrikeForce's technology met the challenge of limiting fraud without requiring controversial biometric technology.

The People of Lakota invite depositors to establish accounts and invest in the Free Lakota Bank's General Investment Fund, the fund it uses to develop profitable free-market enterprise inside Lakota territory. Mani comments that the nation despises donations and charity, and instead insists instead on "earning our wealth by creating value for those that place their faith and trust in our system."

The Free Lakota Bank issues an American Open Currency Standard Approved currency, making it readily accepted for trade by over 10,000 merchants and businesses across the continent.

For more information, visit the Free Lakota Bank website at http://press.freelakotaba...

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/74072

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
moving to silver

Our main concern is paying our taxes on our paid off house. Here in South Carolina, the state and local governments accept gold and silver as legal tender for all debts, so we are staring our PM investing by putting aside enough silver to pay over three years of property taxes. Where's a good place to buy it? My husband wants to buy 1/2 and one ounce rounds.

As an aside, I bought $100 face value junk silver and am waiting for delivery. I am not happy with the vendor: Northwest Territorial Mint is a broker, and I may not get my silver if they as middleman cannot find it: I may just get the market value back in dollars after two months (or more) of waiting. I will never use them again!

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Re: moving to silver
safewrite wrote:

Our main concern is paying our taxes on our paid off house. Here in South Carolina, the state and local governments accept gold and silver as legal tender for all debts, so we are staring our PM investing by putting aside enough silver to pay over three years of property taxes. Where's a good place to buy it? My husband wants to buy 1/2 and one ounce rounds.

As an aside, I bought $100 face value junk silver and am waiting for delivery. I am not happy with the vendor: Northwest Territorial Mint is a broker, and I may not get my silver if they as middleman cannot find it: I may just get the market value back in dollars after two months (or more) of waiting. I will never use them again!

For On-line purchases I have always been satisfied with APMEX. Their prices are competitive but not always the lowest.

If possible buying over the counter is best if you can find a local dealer. I like to be able to walk in with cash and leave with the PM in hand.

Ken

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Safe,

www.coloradogold.com is an excellent source.  Don (the founder) is a bit of a "bigot" but he says it as he sees it so I have the utmost respect for him.  His daughter Melissa is the rep on the East Coast and is very personable.  They are almost always the lowest priced vendor as well and their customer service is absolutely TOP NOTCH!  They're so honest that Don has told me numerous times to not buy an item because the markup was ridiculous in his opinion.  That says something!

I've also had good luck with APMEX as well and they have a much broader selection than Colorado Gold, but I've run into times in which I've received Silver Bars that were discolored/yellow.  I don't want that type of item in my collection as it makes the item harder to sell to persons that aren't educated on the product.  They took them back without issue, but IMO they shouldn't have let it be shipped in the first place.  

And as for Rounds/Bars/etc.......  make sure you diversify.  Get yourself some Eagles/Maples, Generic Rounds (AMark, Academy, Sunshine, etc..) as well as 10oz bars, and if you're buying quantity 100oz bars.  The more diversified the more confident you can be that you have the right items to sell when needed.  As for "junk" silver.......again, a bit in your possession is good but it shouldn't be more than 20% IMO.  

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

I can second LogansRuns' opinion. Have dealt with all the "Stotts" at colorado gold. I read and chuckle,cry,moan Dons' ramblings

regularly. Iwas busy w/pts. when a good buy came thru and Melissa took an order from my 12yo daughter gotta love'em.

Robie

V's picture
V

LR

You may be interested i this. A friend of mine has been buying from APMEX for years. She used to live in Edmond Ok. She would jsut walk in and make her purchase no problemo.

She went there a few weeks ago and they have moved. Guess where? OKC. Now guess where in OKC? 

The Federal Reserve building.

The reason ...................more security.

V

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

Safe, I've used Colorado gold as well twice and had great experiences. I deal with his daughter, who's in NY.

Doug's picture
Doug

I've dealt with Colorado Gold, specifically Melissa, a number of times and have always been pleased.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments