Gold as currency. How does that work?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Farmimator's picture
Farmimator
Gold as currency. How does that work?

These may be very basic questions, I hope they haven't been answered elsewhere and I missed them.

It really feels like some kind of big shake-up is imminent.  Some kind of Government based currency thing.  Not global meltdown but a definite dip on the rocky road to our more modest post-carbon future.  I'm going to start withdrawing cash from my bank - not that I carry much in there, it's always empty by the end of the month.  But for the first time ever I'm considering buying some actual gold I can hold in my hand.  Not as an investment per-say but as a hedge against the fiat currency going bust.  

What is the day to day usefulness of gold though?  I couldn't go to my neighbor and get him to weld something for me and give him a shaving of gold because he'd have the same problem as me - how to turn that gold into REAL stuff:  Food, clothes, fuel, etc.  Presumably it would take a massive crash for gold to become relevant as a trading medium.  And the assumption is that since gold HAS been used as a trading medium for time immemoriale it will be again?

I also grow a lot of food - I'm a farmer - is food just as good as gold in terms of a reasonable trading medium?

How would people reccommend a person buy small quantities of physical gold?  Like convert $300-500 a month into metal and slowly build it up?

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas
 The 1933 confiscation and

The 1933 confiscation and the punitive tax  imposed on gold is meant  to keep Americans from using it as money again.  

cmallende's picture
cmallende
discount if paid in gold

I've actually presented a 2-5% discount on my remodeling jobs if paid in gold. Never thought it was illegal but I did get some curious replies. One client actually considered it enough to look into the conversion.

No takers yet I'm still trying

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments