GNP 5.5 percent annualized growth tomorrow

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
docmims's picture
docmims
GNP 5.5 percent annualized growth tomorrow

Senator Bill Nelson was on Shepherd Smith's show on Fox news just now talking about the state of the union and let slip the gnp numbers were going to be "really good" tomorrow.  Shep was like go on..... and after an uncomfortable silence said 5.5 percent.  Then he adde "i predict".  As Nathan says: riggght.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: GNP 5.5 percent annualized growth tomorrow

sheesh

But you know they will come back with a revision a month later and say new data has it at a 'surprisingly' and 'unexpected' 4.2%.

docmims's picture
docmims

I think it's because inventories are stripped bare, and they count the Investment industry/GS output of derivatives as part of our "output".  It will be interesting to see  nate take it apart.  I was just interested to see a Senator indicate that he had seen the number before it was released.

idoctor's picture
idoctor

US Economy Likely Grew 4.6% in Fourth Quarter

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35000055

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

I'm sure they'll pump out the best possible number they can possibly fabricate and sell with a straight face.  Looks like Greece is circling the toilet bowl, China's on a sleigh ride, and who knows what else is lurking in the bushes.  They'll fire off a nice GDP flare, hoping to blind us all to everything else falling apart around us.  Just don't stare at the GDP directly for more than a few seconds as you might go blind and lose your shirt.   

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Just don't stare at the GDP directly for more than a few seconds as you might go blind and lose your shirt.

Farmer you crack me up

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Economy Grows 5.7 Percent as Recovery Looks for Traction

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35141739

Up..up.. And away LOL.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

LoL

idoctor I was just about to post that. Smile

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Something doesn't smell right today with the (spin) #s that came out this market ought to be up 250 points but the NASDAQ just went negative??

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
idoctor wrote:

Something doesn't smell right today with the (spin) #s that came out this market ought to be up 250 points but the NASDAQ just went negative??

Well, the $ is up a bit today.  But yeah, the Dow is also giving back its early gains...

(I should really be focusing on finishing up the biz taxes thang...)

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Anyone else get the feeling things are unwinding a little faster than expected?

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Johnny me thinks that Greece needs a little grease on them there axles or in might keep grinding to a hault. I am starting to get that fir ball feeling also. If we close negative today & the s&P closes below 1080 I will add to some shorts. Already have my supplies for a long cold winter if needed LOL.

V's picture
V

Yes Johnny

I have the feeling things are unwinding quite a bit faster.

i feel sometime around the middle of Feb. We will experience some kind of shock and awe event to the economy. I feel it will precipitate some kind of banking holiday. Based on rulings regarding money market accounts of late I believe the powers that be are putting things in place to put some draconian measures in place.

The change in the bankruptcy laws under Bush always struck me as strange until the meltdown then it became much clearer.

Seemingly innocuous changes in laws and regs have what some may believe to be unintended consequences.

If you have money in a bank or money market account I would remove it for a few months.

But hey what do I know

V

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

And a twitching corpse is showing signs of life.

Yes, I am rolling my eyes.

Aaron

nickbert's picture
nickbert
idoctor wrote:

The gov't is hinting 'bull', but seems the only thing the only thing the markets are sensing and smelling is the big pile that the bull left behind.

Maybe there IS a limit on stupidity and ignorance after all...

- Nickbert

docmims's picture
docmims

5.7 percent. Sorry.  Undecided

Maybe we are letting the Chinese do our GNP calculations and productivity statistics.

Thanks, comrades.Tongue out

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Hummmmm....

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
idoctor wrote:

Economy Grows 5.7 Percent as Recovery Looks for Traction

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35141739

Up..up.. And away LOL.

And as a show of euphoric enthusiasm for the UNBELIEVABLE Q4 growth the markets....

head for the crapper. 

Huh????

Seems to me the investment community is saying "BS".  

idoctor's picture
idoctor

'Underemployment' tops 20 pct in 3 states

'Underemployment' near or above 20 pct in 9 states as part-timers, discouraged workers grow

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Underemployment-tops-20-pct-apf-2783967295.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama said in his State of the Union Wednesday that "one in 10 Americans still cannot find work." But in nine states the figure is much worse -- closer to one in five, according to Labor Department data released Friday.

The figures are a stark illustration of how tough it is to find a full-time job, even as the economy has grown for two straight quarters. The official unemployment rate of 10 percent doesn't include people who are working part-time but would prefer full-time work, or the unemployed who have given up looking for work.

docmims's picture
docmims

idoctor do you have the Glenn Beck link from thurstday where he posts all the pictures of Obama economic council members from Goldman Sachs?

idoctor's picture
idoctor

docmins I think it is in this group.

On Our Own's picture
On Our Own

Glenn Beck is only a passing acquaintance of facts.  He mangles history on a regular basis, and no I don't mean the "liberal idealogy of history"  I mean basic history.  He mangles rambled good ideas that have some semblance of reality into paranoid flights of ideas that end up nowhere.  Making any argument based solely on the points made by Glenn Beck is like using Mad magazine as an academic resource.

docmims's picture
docmims

It's the jan 28 part 5 of 5 where he's holding the picture of Bonnie and Clyde.  It is just awsome if you want a visual of the fox guarding the henhouse.  so to speak.  can you start a thread with just that one?  I think it synthesizes a lot of complicated economics down to something the common person can grasp.

and onourown.  I understand where you are coming from.  Glen selects his facts to prove his point in a debate type format that is entertainment  - not news but this segment is pretty good for understanding who is actually in control of our economy by controlling the advice the president gets and filtering the information he recieves.

On Our Own's picture
On Our Own

This, to me, is what makes me so angry about him.  Glen Beck tells some pieces of truth that the people NEED to hear and know.  But, he wraps it in so much hyperbolic bullpuckey and paranoid nonsense that it ALL gets considered nonsense.  He is the best argument that fringes at either end have and the worst argument for the truth.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments