Global Sun Oven Now Available Here

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
stpaulmercantile's picture
stpaulmercantile
Global Sun Oven Now Available Here

This message is done with the cooperation and support of the Martenson staff.

Chris highly recommends this solar oven.  It is called the Global Sun Oven and is the sturdiest and best-performing solar oven I've ever seen.  I am selling it at the same price as the manufacturer's website, but we are adding two upgrades to the package.  The manufacturer charges $289 and includes a 3-quart pot and free shipping within the continental US.  Our price for the product is $259.15 and shipping is $29.85, for a total of $289, but we upgrade the pot to a 4-quart deluxe stock pot with removeable strainer, plus we add a Water Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI). A WAPI is a simple thermometer that indicates when water has reached pasteurization temperature and is safe to drink. Pasteurization destroys all microorganisms that cause diseases from drinking contaminated water and milk.

In addition, 10% of the purchase price ($26) goes back to Chris to help support this website.

Complete information about this product is available at this link:

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&item=SunOven&ref=ChrisM

I will try to post the demonstration video in the next link.

stpaulmercantile
Re: Global Sun Oven Now Available Here

This is the short demonstration video for the Sun Oven.

https://www.sunoven.com/usa/instructions-video.php

paranoid's picture
paranoid

Looks good! What about the comments I read like these:

I bought this oven over a year ago. Beware reviews written by people who are smitten with their new purchase. I was smitten too. I put it out there on the front lawn and it worked! It heated water, cooked food, everything came out great. It was magic. But then I began to notice that food that came out of the oven had a plastic kind of taste. Whatever the oven was lined with was contaminating the food with its smell...ugh! I cleaned and cleaned it, but nothing made it better. By the end of last summer, I was reduced to cooking everything in sealed mason jars to keep the smell off the food. "

is this still an issue?

thanks!

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia

This is the sun oven we have and it is awesome. I cannot recommend it enough. It is amazing to cook out in the front yard.

As for the plastic smell--I have never encountered that and have no idea what would cause that.

The
only issue I have is that the sun leaves our yard at around 4 p.m. and
no one wants to eat dinner right then. (We live in the wilds and the
sun goes behind a mountain.) Also, measure your cooking pot or pan
because the sun oven is not real big.

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it right now from stpaul. 

stpaulmercantile

Paranoid,

Appropriate userid, I suppose!   I don't know about the plastic smell - sounds like an isolated case, or perhaps it was a competitor posting a bad review..  Perhaps they were cooking something uncovered.  They do recommend using a pot with a lid, and cooking in Mason jars is also a recommended practice.

I don't own one.  I sold them in 1998 and 1999 before Y2K and saw them demonstrated at some preparedness shows.  They have a very loyal user base.

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia

Wow, cooking in mason jars, I never thought of that. That's good to know, in case I was stuck without a pan.

Edit:

And speaking of loyal customer base, when there was
a lot of smoke from fires last year, I didn't know where the fire was
so I packed up the Jeep with my essentials: a box of photos, the
accordion, the sun oven, and a paper bag of clothes. What else do I
need? That was before I bought the water filter. I would take the water
filter now too. 

lookingforhelp's picture
lookingforhelp

This is not an isolated case!

I own a sun oven and have had it for about 3-4 years.  I have experienced the nasty taste that seems to develop after a few years of use.  I am also not the only one I know that has had the problem.  I have a friend that owns one as well that it doing the exact same thing.  For now I haven't found a fix, but I can say the food it too nasty tasting to eat.  Cooking in mason jars works well if you're not making brownies or doing any kind of baking.  But I would really like to be able to stop that taste from getting into my food.  Has anyone been able to solve this problem? I"m sure there are many more people out there with the same problem.  I spent enough money on this oven and I would like it to work properly.

Forest's picture
Forest
Re: Global Sun Oven adding smell to food

we got our oven this summer and have cooked with covered dishes until yesterday.  I did a pudding without a lid on the dish.  The pudding tasted like the oven smells.  I see that one solution is to cover the dish.  My guess is oils vaporize out from the black paint interior of the oven and somehow get infused into the food.  The oven flavor was strongest on the outside of the pudding.

Poet's picture
Poet
Forest wrote:

we got our oven this summer and have cooked with covered dishes until yesterday.  I did a pudding without a lid on the dish.  The pudding tasted like the oven smells.  I see that one solution is to cover the dish.  My guess is oils vaporize out from the black paint interior of the oven and somehow get infused into the food.  The oven flavor was strongest on the outside of the pudding.

Can you tell us some of the lessons you've learned from cooking in the solar oven? For example, what time of day, what time of year, what lattitude are you at, and what make and model of oven? And based on that, how long does it take you to, say, cook a dish or boil an egg?

Would love to learn more.

Poet

Jager06's picture
Jager06

I ordered one on 9-15 and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

I have seen the same negative reviews around the net about this oven, but it is always written in the same style and by someone who only has one posting per user name. Interesting attempt at sabotage I suspect.

Anyway, I will file a report when I get mine.

Patiently waiting......fingers tap tap tapping away......

Thrivalista's picture
Thrivalista
not every negative review is an astro-turfer

I'm also having problems with odors in my SunOven, have had from the day we got it, and am therefore pretty disappointed in it thus far. We've tried to cook out the smell for so long that the interior is bleaching out, and still the odor persists, contaminating everything we attempt to prepare in it.

I contacted the company, who said in essence "that's not possible".  They said it couldn't be offgassing because that was all taken care of during the manufacturing process.  Well, anybody who doubts the smell is welcome to come here and take a whiff - we were showing the oven to a friend, who even as we were unfolding it wrinkled his nose and said "Eww, what's that smell?".

Its also pretty offensive to have folk here dismiss these kinds of statements.  If we can't be truthful and respectful with each other here, then what's the point?

mainebob's picture
mainebob
SunOven ... Alternative???...

A solar oven sounds like a great item to have for camping or
when no fuel is available but the sun is....

SO.... what about alternatives solar ovens that are safe...

We am sensitive to what we ingest...
we do not buy/own any "Teflon" coated cookware... Why take chances...

Cast Iron works great... for cookware.... likely too heavy for a solar oven...

Oh, just in...Google search,  1st result:

Homemade solar ovens: Best Materials and supplies
Best sources of materials, supplies and designs
for building good homemade solar ovens from
scratch.

http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/homemade_solar_ovens.html

-Bob

rhare's picture
rhare
Alternatives...

Here is another site with lots of plans: http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

Also, I know someone who has a Parabolic Solar Cooker that is at the cantinawest site that mainebob referenced, that thing is awesome.  My friend can boil water faster with it than he can with his electric stove top.

Thrivalista's picture
Thrivalista
odor *finally* dissipated

Shortly after posting about my negative experience re the Sun Oven odor, the odor did finally clear up. However,  the insert tray has also bleached, from black to purple. And it took much, much longer than the manufacturer said it would for the odor to be gone - dozens of heating and cleaning sessions. They still have not responded to my email of 3 weeks ago, asking them - again - to address the issue. Perhaps they had one lot of bad (overly odoriferous) gaskets, but denying and stonewalling the issue is not an appropriate response. We'll continue using ours, but do not recommend it to others given the quality and communication problems.

Sorry to be so negative, especially for my first posts here, but people considering investing in one deserve to have the facts.

betidwell's picture
betidwell
Odor In My New Oven

My oven arrived on Saturday and I read the instructions.  I followed them exactly and after 120 minutes of heating 3 cups of vinegar I scrubbed the entire oven as instructed.  I heated it the rest of the day and cooked a loaf of bread this afternoon and it smells and taste just like the oven.  Please tell me what to do to get rid of that smell and taste. I'm concerned that it could be unhealthy to ingest whatever it is making it smell like that.

I love this oven and want it to work so badly so I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Try cleaning again and cook

Try cleaning again and cook something you don't plan on eating and see if the problem corrects itself.  There have been instances and product reviews that mention this issue but a majority of people I know who have them don't have problems.  Perhaps they changed something in the manufacturing process and it is causing more off-gasing of the new materials.  Also - contact the vendor you purchased it from for a replacement if necessary.  I know the vendors we have worked with on Sun Oven offers have provided replacements as needed when issues have come up.  Hope this helps. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments