Glimmers of hope: a call to leadership from the dissafected

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Glimmers of hope: a call to leadership from the dissafected

I was completely blown away by this comment that someone left on my blog. For the first time in my life I feel that people are looking to me as a leader. Not that Im trying to take away from the message of the three E's as I am a product of the Martensons work and espouse it almost weekly on my site. Again, the recent NYT article re law school and debt has caused an explosion in emails and traffic on the blog.

I would like to note that I've never been the type of person to lead a group. Have never joined student body organizations or any other groups for that matter. Ive always been a lone wolf, doing my own thing. However, the hundreds of hours of work invested in posting original and borrowed content has yielded results. Please advise.

I'm writing this because I expect more, from you, and individuals like yourself.

I don't disagree with the particular ideas expressed in this blog, nor do I disagree with the sentiment that drives this post and many others like it. Yet no matter how much of this 'scamblogging' that I read, from this site or others, I can't help but think that this is a job half finished, and it's the important half thats missing.

I expect more because there is obviously more work to do, I expect more from you because you obviously see how whole generations, including ours (as I suspect we are about the same age), are being railroaded. Unlike most people though, you have a J.D., and I can tell you from experience that if I had one I'd be able to make more of a difference than I can now. When I talk to folks about what could be done to improve our lives, they don't listen to me because I lack, for lack of a better word, the prestige that is associated with that piece of paper. Talk to people about their rights as workers, about the possibilities of community organizing, about the value and power of local zoning boards with a J.D. and people will listen. Or at least they will listen more than if you are just some guy who works at a grocery store.

What I can see, perhaps more clearly than the JD scamblogging world, is that there was never any 'right way' to live for people born after 1979. For every kitchen manager or head chef making a decent wage there are 100 guys like me that either couldn't hack it in kitchens or, more commonly, just won't ever get a chance. I don't think I'd even need to make an argument about how retail employment is an economic cancer in our society, but I can if you'd like, and from what I can tell M.D.'s are in almost as bad a place as J.D.'s.

Hard work, either on a factory floor or on the farm or in school was supposed to lead to a reasonable job with reasonable pay and a decent, if common, life. It's yet to pan out that way for us (as an aggregate average), irrespective of our life choices (it seems to have a strong correlation only to how rich your parents were), and at a very basic level that has created a cognitive dissonance that is pervasive and common.

So, yes, there is a problem, I agree. The one point I would make is that this is the problem of our entire working class (employed or not, educated at university or not), and the solution won't be found simply in changing the legal education system. From what I can see there is a great need, greater than ever, for lawyers. But the people who need legal services can't afford to pay for them, just like there are a great deal of people who need food, shelter, transportation, healthcare etc. and can't pay for it.

The next step is to propose a solution - reiterating the problem isn't as helpful - and then take action to bring the solution to fruition.

So what's the solution to this larger, systemic problem? Even without a J.D. I have a few ideas:

-A new political party
-New legislation that provides a framework for jobs growth
-A labor/unionization movement that puts economic power back in the hands of the working class
-Reformation of the financial system,
-A reevaluation of trade agreements that may be hurting our domestic economy
-Creating new social safety programs

All of these are projects that would require people with legal educations at every phase of their implementation, and as I'm nothing special, I'm sure that with some hard work a group of unemployed/underemployed lawyers could do even better. All of these projects have a good chance of creating more jobs for lawyers in the long run as well, and that, more than anything will help with that money problem.

Of course I know, better than most, that trying to do anything on this scale seems impossibly hard, but really, do you have anything better to do?

Oh, and I'd be happy to help, just let me know how.

Thats amazing! I'm trying to bring as many young souls over to CM as I can. However, i will say that this group does appear to be more older user friendly. Anyone who can help with web design in order to make the page more user friendly please dont hesitate to contact me on PM. Im willing to pay if necessary.

Thanks again. Super excited!!

guardia's picture
guardia
Re: Glimmers of hope: a call to leadership from the ...

This guy is still obviously stuck in the bargaining phase of awareness.. When the same dude comes along again and starts writing stuff like: "We're all going to DIE!!!! But that's all right", then I would call for a glimmer of hope. Until then, much work to be done...

Still, good job, keep up the good work :) Sadly, I am a better lone wolf than you are :(

Samuel

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Re: Glimmers of hope: a call to leadership from the ...
guardia wrote:

This guy is still obviously stuck in the bargaining phase of awareness.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments