Glenn Beck plagiarizing Crash Course?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
stfrequency's picture
stfrequency
Glenn Beck plagiarizing Crash Course?

I am new to browsing the forums here, and I came across the Glenn Beck thread from January. If he indeed was "promoting" Martenson's Crash Course on his radio program a few months ago, it seems he has now taken to appropriating and remixing it for his own program, without credit...

http://patriotsforamerica.ning.com/video/the-crash-of-2009-is-coming-to

Am I wrong in detecting a bit of plagiarizing going on here? Why not just direct people to the full Crash Course, where everything can be explained in detail?

-st

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: Glenn Beck plagiarizing Crash Course?

good point but i think chris took quite a bit from others most notably dr. bartlett. of course chris gave credit. these hockey stick charts are not anything new so i dont see the problem. if you look at the essential books list you will see that this info has bee around. the thing that sets chris apart is his ability to synthesize it in a relatively easy to understand format

anyway chris is more interested in the info getting out there. and right now there is somewhat an urgency in the process.

beck has the third most listened to radio show and he is drawing very well on tv so i think the important thing is  he has the audience and it will be years before chris gets that many people to watch the crash course.

stpaulmercantile's picture
stpaulmercantile

There was a thread about a month ago on this forum "welcoming Glenn Beck" folks to the site.  My assumption from those posts was that Glenn had mentioned the Crash Course on his show.  I couldn't find anything on his website, though.

And if Glenn Beck were plagiarizing thing that I said, I'd be proud.

stfrequency's picture
stfrequency

I know the data and concepts aren't new, but assuming that Beck mentioned the Crash Course on air in January -- I do think that he is directly borrowing from Chris's material in this clip. Not a big deal, but imagine the benefit if he would just drop the name of the website while doing it?

poisonivy113's picture
poisonivy113

Glen Beck is NOT plagiarizing. The data presented in the crash course is readily available to anyone who takes the time to look it up. Expoential growth charts are also well known. I'm not sure what makes you think this is plagiarism....the fact that somebody else has the same interpretation of data that Chris does?

I'm a regular listener/viewer of Glen Beck. His message has many similarities to chris's but it is not identical. Beck focuses much more on the economic aspect. His message in that regard is the same as Chris's and many other experts...printing currency is not the way out of our crisis, and is likely to lead to hyperinflation. He urges his listeners to be prepared to be unemployed, underemployed or to have our currency devalued. I have not heard him talk about peak oil issues.  

I encourage CM fans to check out Glen Beck's web site, and specifically his efforts to build community via his We Surround Them campaign. If you get Fox news, DVR his program, at least on Fri March 13. Many Glen Beck viewers/listeners could be valuable additions to your local community.

Dara 

gillbilly's picture
gillbilly
Teachers/Plagiarism

Many schools are already using services such as turnitin.com. The problem is not the students but where they are learning it.  Web 2.0 has brought an enslaught of mashups and outright theft of information. From Silicon Valley, we were sold the open-source format of Web 2.0, but information mashups (and theft) are becoming the norm and therefore it is difficult to know the source of anything. Intellectual property is being attacked on all fronts through digital means, and there seems to be complete apathy among the masses. The music industry is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, victim so far. Billions of songs have been downloaded illegally, which has brought the industry to its knees, but worse it is that intellectual property has been stolen from the composers who wrote the songs. With youtube now in full swing the movie/video industry is being brought down. How often are videos downloaded, re-edited, mashed up, and then reloaded up on the net as new property?  As Google continues on their mission of digitizing every book ever written in the world (yes, the world!), basically making one huge global digital book/mash up, how will any author receive credit for their work? Think about it, we all love the internet, but are we really prepared for what's coming? Also think about how Google works...ever wonder why wikipedia is always at the top of the search? 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments