Getting the Word out about the Crash Course

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
greypilgrim's picture
greypilgrim
Getting the Word out about the Crash Course

Hello Erik!

I ordered 50 DVDs and have been doing some no-profit marketing on my own. Lucas Altec suggested that I post here to let you know what's going on. (FYI my bio is listed on the Martenson Brigade Introductions thread)

Starting small I want general distribution of the Crash Course (CC) to as many friends and family as possible.  I'm giving the DVDs as gifts, but instead of giving just 1 DVD, I give 2 so the recipient can pass the 2nd DVD onto another person. This extends the reach of the gift.

The next action item was to utilize Facebook and social networking to promote the CC on my profile.  It's an OK tactic, but it's passive promotion, so I've utilized several professional networking groups here in Madison WI. One group, in particular, is called Madison Magnet. It has several thousand members in the Madison area.  Here are their mission and vision statements:   http://www.madisonmagnet.org/index.asp?menuID=16

I contacted Magnet's leadership circle and they were willing to promote the CC on their email list serve. My next step is to follow-up the director and see if they might be willing to host a round table CC discussion with the goal of developing a marketing/distribution plan. This is in the works.

The third and most exciting thing I've been doing is writing personal letters (drafts posted below) to the radio show hosts at Air America Radio.  My goal is to get Chris on-air with a national FM Radio audience.   Not much sizzle in a letter writing campaign, but they key is in the packaging.  

First I write the personal letter that targets something meaningful to that person.  If I'm targeting a radio show host, perhaps I mention something specific in their programming, and what I like about. That way they know it's not just a form letter, I'm not trying to sell them something, and they know I'm sincere. I personally sign each letter.

Then I include a DVD, and mail it FedEx Priority Mail.  Sure it costs more, but I can track it and when somebody gets a FedEx envelope they open it before any other letter in the stack. Furthermore, it doesn't get buried among the 700 emails in an Inbox!  In this day and age of email, SMS, and twitter, sometimes the old way of doing things shows more thoughtfulness and care and will get peoples' attention first.

So does it work?  You bet!  As of last night 12/22/08 Mac Sussman personally called me from New York, NY to thank me for the letter and DVD.  Marc stated that he will be in touch with Chris!

To loop you in, Marc has a radio show called The Money Message, and it has so many parallels to the CC it's a perfect compliment.    Read about it here:  http://www.marcsussman.com/ga/index.php   Here's Marc's bio:  http://www.marcsussman.com/ga/bio.php

Another great thing about Marc is that he recently got back from a conference with Al Gore, so he's got some potential connections in larger Washington DC circles......

I've also sent letters to Ed Schultz of the Ed Schultz show.  Lee Rayburrn who has a morning Radio show here in Madison. I'm sending a letter and DVD to Matt Rothschild of the Progressive Magazine and also the Editors of The Nation Magazine.

After the holidays are over, I'll target the remainder of the Air America hosts and especially Rachel Maddow.  Now that she is televised nationally on MSNBC (right after Keith Olbermann) she's got an incredible forum for a Crash Course type discussion.

That's it for now, but I'll keep you update on progress. 

Sample letters are below. These are just drafts. The finals were polished a bit more to clean up the wording, balance and messaging.  Feel free to let others use these as templates.

Happy Holidays, and let's keep working for a better 2009 and beyond!!!!

Scott Kohl

Madison, WI

------------------------

DRAFTS BELOW

-----------------------

The Ed Schultz Show

1020 25th Street South

Fargo, ND 58103-2312

Hey Big Ed!

Whenever possible, I listen to your program on Air America (92.1 The Mic in Madison, WI) and I especially like your Dow Theory discussions with the folks from ITM Trading.

The degree of complexity regarding the issues you speak about can often leave people reeling. Even with an MBA and a degree in Economics, I find it challenging to look for solutions until I can fully grasp the depth of these problems. Also, speaking with folks in a “common language” of economic & sound business principles certainly helps. You bring it home everyday, Ed, but I also found a great resource that might dovetail with your programming.

Several months ago, I discovered a website run by a guy named Chris Martenson. (www.PeakProsperity.com) Chris put together a series of free, online videos called “The Crashcourse” It's an amazing course that gives clarity to the tough economic, political and ecological challenges we are facing. The course also weaves the important thread that change is upon us so we need to modify our behaviors and attitudes while living within a sphere of finite resources.

The short videos teach while not being boring, didactic, politically biased, or out of reach from a technical standpoint. (Seriously, my 66 year old mother can grasp the material without much problem.) Finally, the course lays the foundation for us to take positive, real action in our communities.

Understanding that we all need to do our part is why I'm sending you a copy of the Crashcourse on DVD. I paid for these DVDs out my own pocket because this is very important to me. There is no agenda here other than knowledge transfer and an opportunity to spread the word about the Crashcourse. You and Chris Martenson have similar goals so it might make sense to team up. It would be so cool have him on the Ed Schultz show! WOOT!!!

Thanks Big Ed for what you do everyday, and I'd sincerely like to know what your thoughts are regarding The Crashcourse.

Happy Holidays,

Scott Kohl

Madison, WI

[email protected]

---------------

Marc Sussman

The Sussman Group

118 East 28th St. Suite 307

New York, NY 10016

Dear Marc,

Whenever possible, I listen to your show on Air America, and I especially like your program with our local radio host, Lee Rayburn, on The Mic 92.1 FM in Madison, WI. Ever since you came back from your conference with Al Gore, it has been interesting note how your message has evolved.

There is no doubt that what is going on in our economy is directly related to what we are doing to our planet. The high degree of complexity regarding the issues you speak about can certainly leave people reeling. Even with an MBA and a degree in Economics, I find it's challenging to look for solutions until I can fully grasp the depth of these problems. Speaking with folks in a “common language” of environmental, economic and sound business principles certainly helps. Your show, Marc, does an awesome job toward establishing awareness and that common language. I’ve found a great resource that dovetails with your Money Message, and I’d like to share it with you and my fellow listeners.

Several months ago, I discovered a website run by a guy named Chris Martenson. (www.PeakProsperity.com) Chris put together a series of free, online videos called “The Crashcourse” It's an amazing course that gives clarity to the tough economic, political and ecological challenges we are facing. The course also weaves the important thread that change is upon us so we need to modify our behaviors and attitudes while living within the finite sphere of earth.

The short videos teach while not being boring, didactic, politically biased, or out of reach from a technical standpoint. (Seriously, my 66 year old mother can grasp the material without much problem.) Finally, the course lays the foundation for us to take real action in our communities and change the destructive course we are on.

Understanding that we all need to do our part, is why I'm sending you a copy of the Crashcourse on DVD. I paid for these DVDs out my own pocket because this is very important to me. There is no agenda here other knowledge transfer and an opportunity to spread the word about the need for positive change. After you watch the videos, I think you’ll agree that you and Chris Martenson have similar goals so it might make sense to team up.

Thanks Marc, for the Money Message, and I'd sincerely like to know what you thought about the course.

Best,

Scott Kohl

Madison, WI

[email protected]

------------------------

Lee Rayburn

Clear Channel Radio

The Mic 92.1 FM

2651 South Fish Hatchery Road

Madison WI 53711

December 16, 2008

Hello Lee,

I've been listening to The Mic 92.1 for over two years now, and I particularly look forward to your segment with Marc Sussman. It has been interesting to note how Marc's message has evolved since he got back from his conference with Al Gore, and I appreciate your morning show bringing it to us during the weekdays.

There is no doubt in my mind what is going on in our economy is related to what we are doing to our planet and each other. As you often discuss on your show, the degree of complexity regarding these issues can leave people reeling. Personally, I find it's challenging to look for solutions until we can fully understand the problems and speak about them with a common language. You bring it home everyday, Lee, but I also found a great resource that might fit with your programming.

Several months ago, I discovered a website run by a guy named Chris Martenson. Chris put together a series of free, online videos called “The Crashcourse” It's an amazing course that gives clarity to these tough economic, political and ecological challenges we are facing. The course also weaves the important thread that change is upon us so we need to modify our behaviors and attitudes while living within the finite sphere of earth.

The short videos teach while not being boring, didactic, politically biased, or out of reach from a technical standpoint. (Seriously, my 66 year old mother can grasp the Crashcourse without much problem.) Finally, the videos lay the foundation for us to take real action in our communities and change the destructive course we are on.

Understanding that we all need to do our part, is partly why I'm sending you a copy of the Crashcourse on DVD. The Crashcourse message dovetails with what you and Marc Sussman speak about on a daily basis. I paid for these DVDs out my own pocket because this is extremely important, and I'd love the opportunity to spread the word to fellow listeners of The Mic 92.1. It's my goal to have a greater impact beyond just family and a friends list on The Facebook.

Thanks Lee for any help you can provide, and I'd sincerely like to know what you thought about the course.

Peace Out,

Scott Kohl

[email protected]

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Getting the Word out about the Crash Course

Scott,

That's fantastic! Keep up the great work, man! We need your style of passion, and we need as much as we can get.

Please don't hestitate to also use the Brigade forums to round up some help when you approach the news media. The FedEx trick is definitely an effective way to get someone's attention, but nothing beats having them hear from several different listeners in different areas, all telling them the same thing. See my recent post in the Brigade forums about a popular finance blog as an example of what I mean.

Thanks for your help and passion! You're an inspiration to the whole community.

Erik

dps's picture
dps
Re: Getting the Word out about the Crash Course

I recently found Transition Town via a post by a new Brigade member, Kate, in the introductions section.  Anyway, now I'm a member of Transition Colorado and Transition Westminster/Arvada/Broomfield.  I've started a discussion there called:

I host viewings and discussions about the Crash Course, by Dr. Chris Martenson, in my home in Broomfield. Tuesdays 7-9PM or Sundays 6-8PM. Contact me for directions & RSVP. Find Flier attached. Thanks! ... Don
Attachments:

... Don

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments