Get this site to the top of Google & Yahoo!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
barrt's picture
barrt
Get this site to the top of Google & Yahoo!

HIya folks

At last a forum on this great site where i can actually contribute something of value! yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

its to do with promoting the site in the search engines, this if done well, could be a MASSIVE source of new readers. At no cost, for as long as people are looking for it. Currently it is not done well, lots of room for improvement here im delighted to say

First take a look at this link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=link%3A+www.PeakProsperity.com&btnG=Search

and this one

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/advsearch?p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.PeakProsperity.com&bwm=i&bwmo=d&bwmf=s

they show Google's and Yahoo's database of what sites/ pages are linking to PeakProsperity.com and the good news is that there are lots of them, the excellent news is that they are nearly all financial sites, the wow news is that some of them are huge sites! This is serious linkjuice you have here Chris. Exploit this properly and you will have a steady stream of new visitors to your site for many different search terms, lots of which you can choose!

Currently you are top of google for searches for Chris Martenson, obviously. But less obvious is that you are also top if you search for "providing information to secure your future" - without the quotes - here's the link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=providing+information+to+secure+your+future

this is nice but it not as nice as being top for... perhaps.... "how to survive the crash" "how to buy gold" "guide to deflation" "guide to hyperinflation" - you guys can choose these search terms, your excellent linkjuice will do the rest once you have made these changes;

1 META TAGS - These help search engines categorise you, you are not using these correctly, on the home page for example your meta looks like this;

<title>Chris Martenson | Providing information to secure your future.</title>
<meta name="DC.Title" content="Chris Martenson | Providing information to secure your future." />
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />

PLus some others that i presume are to do with your bog software. I don't know what the DC.Title one is, if its not to do with the blog software or you have a certain reason for having it there, get rid of it. Also get rid of the index/follow one, they don't do what you tell them to do, plus they index all pages they find via following your links anyway, its not needed

Your meta should look like this; (and here is where you guys need to change these phrases to suit your aims/ ambitions for the site)

<title>Help & guides to the financial crises, buying gold, protecting your investments, understanding inflation & hyperinflation with Chris Martenson</title>
<meta name="description" content="Easy to understand guides to the credit crises & the financial collapse and what you can do to protect your family ">
<meta name="keywords" content="hyperinflation, credit crunch, credit crisis">

The words you put into the title meta are the words google will make a link to your site out of. the words you choose for the description meta will be the para in black text that google shows in a paragraph under your link. The keywords are of limited but some value, chose only your top 10 for this section.

With the powerful linkjuice you have, whatever words you put in your mets tags you will shortly begin getting hits from google for. How hight the site goes remains to be seen but one thig is sure, it will be a big improvment and you will get lots of new visitors every day, for free.

You need to work on the meta on the forums too, this could be invaluable to you, look at this random thread;
http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/100-percent-gold-backed-system/10301 look at the blue bar at the top, the words there are taken from the meta title. You have set it quite well in that teh title of the thread is the first part of the title, this is great for you but you don't exploit it, after the thread title comes only the words Chris and Martenson, add to that as well and more importantly, add keyphrases to the description meta in the forum template as well, make it also show the thread title but also add more keywords/phrases similar to above. Im not good at expplining things so;

currently the forum meta look like;
<title>100 percent gold backed system | Chris Martenson</title>
<meta name="description" content="I am reading about Austrian economics and found this piece i find intruiging. It might be a method to calculate what then price of gold should be when a 100 percent gold system is implemented." />

Make it read something like;
<title>100 percent gold backed system | Read about this plus financial guides to the credit crises and investing in gold at PeakProsperity.com</title>
<meta name="description" content="Easy to understand guides to the credit crises & the financial collapse and what you can do to protect your family." />
<meta name="keywords" content="hyperinflation, credit crunch, credit crisis">

remeber to change those phrases to what you think suitable, i only use those to make the point. Its good to have the first para in the meta description but not great. Plus you don't need to words Chris and Martenson in there to be top of google, you will always be top for that search term as you have the .com and there is no competition

If you could make that description tag unique on every page as well using the features of the forum template (i don't know what you have) you will be even better off in the google rankings

With some of those huge sites linking to you, making these changes could result in massive increases in the free traffic you get from google, i would be very excited to see the results, email me if i can help with it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right thats drawn a line under the meta section, now you would do well to make a few slight changes to your front page copy;

Try this search http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Crash+Concepts&aq=f 
as you can see you are number 2 for "crash concepts" - not very lucrative, this is because of the metatags on that page that google links too and also the first word on your website on the home page, all big and bold, Google thinks this is the title/ summary of your site. If i was you i would change it to something like "Survive the Crash" or "Economic Collapse and Peak Oil" or something like it, you choose but choose something better than "crash concepts" pick something that your audience will be typing into Google, next month you might be number 2 for that term instead, especially if you use that phrase in your meta as well, allow Google to categorise you, correctly.

The next thing is the sentence underneath that "Connecting the Crash Course to your Daily News" of course you are at the top for that http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Connecting+the+Crash+Course+to+your+Daily+News
but it doesn't do you any good unless people have heard about your crash course and are looking for it. If i was you i would remove it and write a short paragraph explaining in a way that makes sense to humans and google, what your site is about and what people can expect to find

If i can help with this just let me know, hopefully my gibberish is understandable, if not, you know where i am guys (im reading up on your site!)

Best of luck to you all

barrt

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: Get this site to the top of Google & Yahoo!

Hih Barrt-

It also helps if you do things like:

KEYWORD:                                          LINKED TO:

Economic crash                         PeakProsperity.com

Economy

Crash Course

money system

end of money

economics 

learn economics

banking 

how banking works

where to save

gold standard

Albert Bartlett

Logical Economics

Surviving the Crash

Or, any KEYWORD people would search for when wanting to learn more about money linked to the site. Keywords are what people search for. The more linked keywords = the higher on the search engine.

EndGamePlayer

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Good topic to bring up barrt

barrt wrote:

<meta name="DC.Title" content="Chris Martenson | Providing information to secure your future." />

... I don't know what the DC.Title one is

D.C. is the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative. I don't know tons about it but I know it's fine to have it in tandem with your other essential metadata.

I know the volunteers are probably quite busy with many other things but I would also suggest creating transcripts of the entire Crash Course (and split into each chapter). Captions and subtitles wouldn't hurt either. Besides, the search engines can't scan video.

You can read up on how to make Flash Video accessible at the following:

cheers
r.

barrt's picture
barrt

Thanks for the reply guys

Endgameplayer your right with what you say, but we dont have much or any control over those sites and what keywords they use within their links, I suppose we/ the staff could start a link building campaign but i think those sites that are already linking should give a huge boost, lets look at it then. I would imagine that a lot, if not most of those sites would be using the words "Crash Course" or "Chris Martenson" in their links and sadly not like you suggest. but still i think it will be great for Chris to do the above changes. Do you work online in this kind of thing then Endgame?

And Ruhh thanks for the info, i wasnt aware of the Dublin Initiative, clearly you do work online :) Great idea to make the crash course movies accessible too, I recommend you do that as well as the search engine stuff above Chris, Erik as thena ll the spoken words in the CC will be searchable on google too, more hits, lots more hits

I really enjoyed your photography too Ruhh, some very nice work there Smile

barrt's picture
barrt

to sum up my awfully long post, you are currently getting hits from google for;

1. chris martenson
  2. fuzzy numbers
  3. storyofstuff.com
  4. excel calculated item
  5. chrismartenson

This is ok but not great, infact lets be honest, its rubbish really. if you implement the suggestions above you can expect a list like this

1 Understanding Hyperinflation
2 Understanding deflation
3 Guide to buying gold and silver
4 insert your prefered phrase here
5 and here

Imagine how many more people are typing those terms into google than are typing in the first list? massive difference!

Im more than willing to do this for you guys, it could mean many thousands of new visitors finding your site every day, infact im sure it will, i do this all the time as part of my job

let me help with it? please?

barrt

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
barrt wrote:

This is ok but not great, infact lets be honest, its rubbish really. if you implement the suggestions above you can expect a list like this

1 Understanding Hyperinflation
2 Understanding deflation
3 Guide to buying gold and silver
4 insert your prefered phrase here
5 and here

my suggestions for 4 and 5 might be something along the lines of "economic collapse", "dollar devaluation", "understanding the economy", "economic crash", "end of USD" etc...

I strongly suggest recruiting some volunteers or even using some proceeds of donations for translation of at least a manuscript or short summary.

Another suggestion of getting more traffic to the site is to perhaps evenpay for some google advertising (although I admit I'm gifted with banner blindness).

I'd like to offer more help on SEO butmy forte is usability and accessability. I haven't totally dug up under the hood here but at first glance this site has done a really good job of most of that. I will look a little deeper when I get a chance but I've been blowing a lot of my spare time surfing this site ;)

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Translation efforts are already underway in a few languages, but I have no idea what the timetable is like. I also don't know about a manuscript, but that shouldn't be too hard to compose.

Question, though: what's SEO?

by the way, great photographs. are they all your work?

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Sorry I broke one of my own top rules of usability by forgetting to spell that out.

SEO = Search Engine Optimization

That brings up a good point about usability on this site. I would recommend to Chris and any staff that write official posts to try to spell out acronyms. The general rule is to spell them out the first time they are used or to use the acronym tag. Otherwise you have some people scratching their heads wondering what they mean especially if they aren't totally familiar with the topic (many visitors here are here to learn).

Here is the HTML coding (unallowed in forum posts).

<acronym title="Search Engine Optimization">SEO</acronym>

There is also a good chance that the Content Management System (admin
interface) of this website uses already has some way of implementing it
but I can't tell from here.

... or you can use the link button (this is kinda cheating though). Just spell it out in the title attribute
and it will show up later when you hover.
Demonstration: SEO

screenshot how to use title tag for acronym

PS: Thanks for the kind comments on my photography site! And yes all my work. Maybe one or two shot by my girlfriend but I usually credit her. Just a hobby but it's a lot of fun. Thanks for visiting.

admin's picture
admin
Futuo wrote:

Question, though: what's SEO?

Search Engine Optimization.  Smile  Let me know if you have questions.

Ron

barrt's picture
barrt

Wot? No takers?

Im suprised guys there was no interest in this, c'mon guys let me do this for you. I can guarantee you beyond any doubt whatsoever that this will bring you in many thousands of targeted visitors. Targeted meaning that they will only be here on the site (in their thousands) because they are interested in finding out more and have searched google for info. These people should be the first stop but you dont cater for them at all!

That has got to be a much more effective way to promote the message than to hand out dvd's to peopl who are not interested or who would rather leave their heads in the sand.

Is there really no interest in this from admin, Chris, Erik?

Im more than willing to either do the work for you or help you do it yourselves if there is anything above that doesnt make sense (englosh is not my strang poiint i know)

barrt

admin's picture
admin
barrt wrote:

Wot? No takers?

Im suprised guys there was no interest in this, c'mon guys let me do this for you. I can guarantee you beyond any doubt whatsoever that this will bring you in many thousands of targeted visitors. Targeted meaning that they will only be here on the site (in their thousands) because they are interested in finding out more and have searched google for info. These people should be the first stop but you dont cater for them at all!

barrt,

Sorry we have not been able to get back in touch with you sooner, we have been quite busy with a number of tasks.

Thank you for taking the time to share all of these thoughts and ideas.  You have provided a wealth of information which is extremely important to the growth of the site.  We really appreciate your willingness to share such a wide range of examples.  Thank you.

Just so you are aware, these tasks (meta tags, page titles, h1/h2 adjustments on the home page, text on the Crash Course video pages, etc.) have been on our list to accomplish for some time.  We have needed to focus on a variety of other tasks prior to giving them attention.  We absolutely understand the importance of attracting new visitors and agree with your ideas.  However we first need to make sure we have a system in place that can handle a lot more visitors.  Much of our time in recent months has been dedicated to this.

If you look at the current page code, you will see that meta tags have been updated.  These will continue to be refined as we work together with Chris on the strategic direction for the site.  Also the newest pages on the site have associated tags which are used to build unique page titles with keywords.  As well, we have known for some time that we need to add text to the Crash Course video pages.  This is being worked on right now and will continue to be adjusted.

Thanks for your patience while we continue to add new features and capabilities to the site.  We certainly welcome hearing more ideas on how to improve what we have to offer.  I also definitely recommend those who wish to help on promotion campaigns to consider joining the Martenson Brigade.  We have a team of volunteers who are working to make this a reality.

If there are other questions or thoughts, please let me know. Thanks.

Ron

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Just another idea that came to mind to drive more traffic to the site.

Publishing tools

Bookmarking sites like

and I'm sure there are a few other worthy site promotion tool as well.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments