Get a Lobotomy Become a CEO

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Davos's picture
Davos
Get a Lobotomy Become a CEO

So much for Electric Vehicles or Hybrids or anything that remotely addresses peak oil. 

Nope.

Cars that read tweets and twitters.

rhare's picture
rhare
Re: Get a Lobotomy Become a CEO

I wouldn't be to hard on Ford.  At least they refused government bailout money.  They also make hybrids.   The problem is not going to be solved by car companies.  They make (or if they want to stay in business - ooops guess thats not a requirement now) what people will buy.  It has to be solved by people willing to buy cars that address the issue.

Alan Mulally, the CEO actually said this, which seems to support what you want:

He said it looks like the country is moving toward electric vehicles as the next generation of transportation, and he called on the government to come up with an energy policy to pick one technology and start building the infrastructure to make it work.

"I don't think we'll ever get the infrastructure built that we need if market forces alone are working. I think that our government has to provide some direction," he said.

Ford also said he'd like to see the government keep gas prices stable with taxes or a floor on crude oil prices so automakers can plan their models better.

Gasoline prices peaked at more than $4 per gallon during the summer but now are well below $2 per gallon in many areas of the country.

"We plan our vehicles three, four, five years in advance," he said. "It makes life very difficult if the market gyrates wildly over the course of several months, and that's exactly what we've seen happen."

I don't agree with these things. I think we have had such government interference in all markets (including cars/oil) that it's no wonder we have not seen any progress.  If you do things to hold oil/gas low to keep the consumer happy and buying, of course we won't ever address dwindling oil supplies.

If market forces were actually setting gas prices (ie. no world reserve fiat currency) we might have actually seen development into more efficient transportation methods.  But alas, the fiat money at the root distorts everything.....

Ken C's picture
Ken C

I for one am not in favor of loading up vehicles with more toys that drivers can play with. In addition to the safety issue is the dilution of effort to make affordable and sustainable transportation which should be "JOB ONE".

Ken

DavidC's picture
DavidC

I drive a Vauxhall VX220 (also known as an Opel Speedster) - it has a heater and a radio - and that's it. What does this mean? It means I DRIVE the car!

Things like cars that twitter only seem to indicate to me how much more like children the adult population is becoming.

DavidC

Davos's picture
Davos
DavidC wrote:

I drive a Vauxhall VX220 (also known as an Opel Speedster) - it has a heater and a radio - and that's it. What does this mean? It means I DRIVE the car!

Things like cars that twitter only seem to indicate to me how much more like children the adult population is becoming.

DavidC

Both our vehicles are 10 years old. When I get in some of my friends cars I am absolutely amazed by all the junk. Airplane I flew were less advanced then the new Mercedes.

DavidC's picture
DavidC

Davos,

I once flew between the Channel Islands in a Britten-Norman Trislander - I was the only passenger and the pilot let me sit beside him with the headphones on to hear the communications. He was a pilot on 747s who used to fly the Trislanders during his holidays. He said that he really enjoyed it because he was actually flying the aeroplane rather than just watching instruments and screens.

DavidC

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments