George Carlin was exactly 'right on the money'!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
rowmat's picture
rowmat
George Carlin was exactly 'right on the money'!

Over the past few years I've become a George Carlin fan... not just because of his humour but because of his sharp and invariably accurate social commentary. One of his most chilling oratoricals was a piece titled "The American Dream".

Carlin stated the following....

"...And, now, they're coming for your Social Security. They want your f*cking retirement money. They want it back, so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street. And you know something? They'll get it. They'll get it all, sooner or later, because they own this f*cking place..."

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Re: George Carlin was exactly 'right on the money'!

BTW this piece is from 2005 and was well prior to the financial meltdown.

Why can't edit my original post?

I wanted to include a 'language warning' in the original post.

Anyway you have been 'warned'!

Davos's picture
Davos

Yah know, I listened to that when it first came out, and I listened to it this summer and then now.

Don't know if I'm slow and it takes 3 times or if reading all this pathetic HS as it unwinds each and everyday makes me believe how right he was. I'd post it on the DG if not for the language, thanks for the watch. Take care

pir8don's picture
pir8don

We and they have always known. We chose to do nothing - perhaps because we could.

Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows Circ 1990

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you've been faithful
Ah give or take a night or two
Everybody knows you've been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes
And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

That's how it goes
Everybody knows

And everybody knows that it's now or never
Everybody knows that it's me or you
And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah when you've done a line or two
Everybody knows the deal is rotten
Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton
For your ribbons and bows
And everybody knows

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it's moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past
Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows

And everybody knows that you're in trouble
Everybody knows what you've been through
From the bloody cross on top of Calvary
To the beach of Malibu
Everybody knows it's coming apart
Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
Before it blows
And everybody knows

That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Oh everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Don

jneo's picture
jneo

Yup Carlin NAILS IT.  Table is tilted.  I've just learned to live with it and do the best at beating the system.  

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Don - thanks for the Leonard Cohen lyrics...I really like his music and the words are on the mark

Larry

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Don,

I suppose Everybody knows at some higher level of their consciousness but of which they are not allowing themselves to be aware of on an ordinary day level.  Many people actual sleepwalk through their very own Dream.  That's why we poetically say Awakening to the Truth when a person has a moment of self awareness in an historical context, when many questions are answered.  The Crash Course can do that to a person...is designed to do that.  

But until that moment, caused by whatever stimulus, MOST People do not know.  It's not even so much that they don't care, but they don't know what to care about...nor do they "have the time".  Time is running out.  And in this day & age, a person must do their own digging if they care...with a little help from our friends (Thanks CM- give me the shovel).  I remember when I didn't know what I really knew to be operational truths that had to be put into practice in everyday life and by applying those high standards and discoveries in analysis of previous base assumptions and ideological principles, to arrive at new and improved base assumptions and alternate organizing principles.  People ignore evidence right in their face.   

I am amazed at how many people I know, whom after making a discovery of some magnitude, go back the next day or the next week to using old and proven false foundations in dealing with their everyday reality.  Then I must point out why their conclusion or objective position on the subject matter is incorrect because of the actual truths that they just recently discovered (Peak Oil for example).  It's like they forgot OR didn't want to look at reality that way and the impact to their own lives due to their everyday political choices and consumer decisions.  Or maybe other aspects of what has been so ingrained in their personal psychology are so powerful that they keep slipping back to old habits and do I dare say "old tricks".  Bad influences are often hard to overcome.     

I had most of the pieces to the puzzle, as we all do, but I didn't know how the picture was supposed to look in putting that puzzle together.  And then one eye opener leads to another eye opener.   When George passed away last year, this video clip made its way around the internet.  I helped by sending it to many persons.  It is one of my favorites of his.  After all the eye openers that I have had through the years and more importantly, within the last 8 years, that have led me to an ever expanding personal, local and world view, I must say that I am in total agreement with George.  Except he never really says who those "Owners" are, does he?  WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE!!!

Broadspectrum        

pir8don's picture
pir8don

Hi Broadspectrum

I guess comprehension takes time and effort along with a few other intangibles. I have the same trouble you attribute to many. Particularly with Nassim Taleb's Black Swan. I read and reread it but find myself unable to readily change my intellectual habits of nearly six decades.  I know what he writes make perfect sense and hold on to it for a while after another good reading. But again its almost as though I hardly have a glimmer of understanding. Some small comfort is Nassim's own reports that almost all readers return to there former fallacious ways. I guess its the pressure of cultural conditioning.

So many people will agree that government and politicians lie and cheat. They don't see the relevance to their own lives and beyond the complexities of their immediate worlds. Its not that they/we are in any way incapable, just that we need a good jolt of personal experience to raise our heads out of our trench. Even then we will willingly seize even the most obscure opportunity to return to our trench life. 

It generally takes special circumstances for us to be able to get to the rim and turn back in. The luxury of reflection.

Even when one in four are in dire circumstances the remaining three are quite sufficient to support the charade. There is knowing and then there is personal impact.

Don

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments