Generational Differences and Attached Stigmas

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
SPM's picture
SPM
Generational Differences and Attached Stigmas

OK. I have heard other users post their comments about how younger generations need to step up and take action for what they believe, how we just sit by and let all this happen. In my honest opinion, this is all just BS, and a diversion of blame from the generations that truly created these problems.  

I am Gen Y, and I can speak eloquently enough to defend myself, and my beliefs. Yes, I recieved awards in school for things that in hindsight shouldn't have been rewardable. But, I think we come up a little more educated, in all areas, than the generations before us. From the time we are born we have instant access to world wide libraries, and infinite amounts of information that just didn't exist before, for those that choose to use it. As long as it remains uncensored, and we can already see the beginnings of censorship.

I think the previous generations greed and concern only for themselves created these problems we are now facing. I could care less if the credit system as we know it dissapeared, wouldn't affect me. Credit is for chumps that don't have the cash to buy the things they want. I strongly distrust anyone in Washington. I feel like they are only there to push their own personal agendas. No longer is it for the people, by the people, and of the people. Its a select few who are lucky enough to be chosen and groomed. I think they need to be run out of Washington, all of them. We need to take back our country. Not advocating anything violent, but if we all stood in masses, they would have no choice but to listen. I think they are already scared of this outcome.  

I would also venture to say, if you looked at the demographics of this libery movement, you would find an overwhelming amount of Gen X and Y included. So to say that the younger generations need to "step up" is a compltely false and self absorbed ideology. We have and are stepping up, only its to fix problems you have created.

Maybe I am different than the majority of Gen Y, but I would like to think that I am not.

grl's picture
grl
Re: Generational Differences and Attached Stigmas

Hi SPM, I think I have missed all the exhortations for your generation to step up to the plate that you speak of. Seems to me they did in a big way when our current president was elected. I believe, for better or worse, it was the under 35 crowd that propelled Obama into office.

But that is not the point of my comment here. My point is to give you something to consider - it has never been "of the people, by the people, for the people." If you read your history, you will realize that even when President Lincoln uttered those words, our country was run by elites primarily for their own benefit. It has always worked that way and I am afraid it always will. The best we can hope for is that the elites who run the show, whether in the form of a dictatorship or an oligarchy (never mind that it might be called a "Democratic Republic") are benevolent and not too greedy.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Unfortunately Lisa is right.

And unfortunately we're in a catch-22. See, I don't want democracy. Democracy inevitably decays into tyranny. How so? Well, think of it this way. Suppose that the Dems and Reps REALLY were different. Then a democracy in our nation would run like this: 

Democracy is 5000 wolves and 1000 sheep deciding what is for dinner. 

But the Constitution forbids eating sheep. 

So, by a vote of 5 wolves to 4 sheep the Supreme Court rules that mutton are not sheep. 

I like Chris' idea of interdependance, independance, and small communities. And actually, post peak resources may be the greatest blessing humanity will ever be given, once we get through the shock. 

See, without energy and resource abundance consolidated power cannot be sustained. That means no tyranny of the mob, nor tryranny of the elites. 

SPM's picture
SPM

I read somewhere the reason Lincoln was assassinated was because he decided to go against the elite bankers. Probably a myth though. 

I'm not trying to make an argument with anyone, these are only my views.

I do completely agree with you. My point is that it needs to end. "We the people" need to stand up for what we truly believe in and what we believe this country should be. Not what the elite thinks it should be. Look what happens when the elites have control, in fact, they have no regard for control, its only how much can they pocket at the expense of us. Then we reward them with retention bonuses. Its all insane.

I did not vote for Obama, but as some others have said, I was willing to give him a chance. I fall less on the side that their is one elite master pulling strings, but I think the peoples interests are no longer a concern of anyone in Washington.

I want things to change, but I don't want to end up on the "No Fly" list. =)  What else can you do. I want real change, and if it takes a revolution, than thats what it takes. I'm not however advocating violence.

JL Lord's picture
JL Lord

Hi SPM

I love the title of your post.  I had dinner this evening with a 76 yr old - she asked what I thought of Obama's recent actions.  I said, "before I answer, I would like to know what "you" think of what's going on".   Her answer, "I think he's doing the right thing, considering he wasn't starting out from a great spot".  I said, "I agree about his less than ideal starting point, but if Washington continues like they are, then we will reach a point where people wish that it had only gotten as bad as the great depression". 

She stared at me for a few moments, being sure that she understood what I had just said.  It was interesting - she got this far-away look in her eyes for a moment and then said "do you think the younger generation can save things?".   I said, "it is not just one generation that has to be willing to do things differently - we all have to be willing to do things differently.  Otherwise, it "could" get fairly unpleasant fairly quickly...I hope it doesn't, but it certainly could"

I caught her looking at me a few times throughout dinner - I suspect those thoughts were marinading in her brain as she pondered that dialogue. 

Seeing your post tonight, after that earlier exchange, made me smile. 

JL Lord

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Hi SPM - I am Gen X and I do agree with you that there is a lot of sentiment floating around that all this nonsense is our fault because we are "entitled", sniveling, ungrateful, slacker brats who don't have a shred of moral fiber or work ethic amongst us.  I don't think all our elders feel this way, but getting into the blame-game is easier than any of us accepting responsibility for our part in the problem (no matter how great or small that fraction may be).

X-ers and Y-ers have a very (historically) unique relationship... we are siblings from the same parent generation (Boomers). Very few Gen Y are children of Gen X, they're mostly the second crop of Boomers' kids... either as second or third families after divorce, or just simply from those parents who waited until they'd established their careers first. (which is why there isn't the normal 20-year gap between them). This leads to another truly (historically) bizarre generation - the Digi-Kids/Millenials - who are parented by all three of the previous generations at the same time (yes, some Boomers are still having kids!).

The inherent flaws in the system and all its corruptions absolutely cannot stand up to the stresses these kind of generational abberations have caused in our society. It's not solely the WWII, Boomer, X or Y generation's fault that all of this has gone down... the system has been in place long before anyone alive was born. It's wrong of any of us to blame it on those that came before or came after, or expect those that came after to clean up the messes alone. Unfortunately, it may well end up that we have to take the first step to "stand up" because we are probably the first generations to be fully aware that we were born on our knees. Like most siblings, there's a bit of rivalry but we stick together when we're getting bullied.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

SPM, Plickety -

I have plugged this before on the site - I highly recommend you go out right now and buy "The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe.  Superbly written book that examines societal response to the major crises that have occurred in the US.

http://www.fourthturning.com/html/fourth_turning.html

According to these guys, American History is divided into 80-100 year cycles.  In each cycle there are four "turnings" or that are correlated to subsequent generations.  The turnings are a High, an Awakening, and Unraveling and a Crisis.  The latest generation or fourth turning are the folks that will take the lead going into the crisis and will be the generation that leads us out of the crisis. 

If the theory in the book is correct, the next crisis is upon us and with you guys being Gen X and Gen Y, you are in the fourth turning and will get your chance sooner rather than later.

I thought it was a good read - provocative yes, but very good.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Thanks Dogs - I check out that book, sounds interesting. I'm always up for reading social/cultural anthropological theory :)

grl's picture
grl
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

SPM, Plickety -

I have plugged this before on the site - I highly recommend you go out right now and buy "The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe.  Superbly written book that examines societal response to the major crises that have occurred in the US.

http://www.fourthturning.com/html/fourth_turning.html

According to these guys, American History is divided into 80-100 year cycles.  In each cycle there are four "turnings" or that are correlated to subsequent generations.  The turnings are a High, an Awakening, and Unraveling and a Crisis.  The latest generation or fourth turning are the folks that will take the lead going into the crisis and will be the generation that leads us out of the crisis. 

If the theory in the book is correct, the next crisis is upon us and with you guys being Gen X and Gen Y, you are in the fourth turning and will get your chance sooner rather than later.

I thought it was a good read - provocative yes, but very good.

Dogs, I am reading The Fourth Turning now. It is exactly what I thought of when I read the original post on this thread but got diverted. Anyway, I too, would encourage everyone to read the book. It is very insightful. Did you read the the FSU essay by James Quinn, "Boomers - Your Crisis Has Arrived" Link: http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/quinn/2009/0210.html 

That is the essay that prompted me to buy and read the book. It gave me a new perspective.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Lisa -

I saw the article after I read the book - I think someone had it up here on the site somewhere.  It did a good job of presenting the Reader's Digest large print version of "Fourth Turning".

Let me know what you think of the book.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Dogs: Don't know if I've made mention yet, but I've got the book now and plan on starting it soon. I've looked up the basic premise of the theory and it fits in well with other theories and with an observation of history. It's certainly something interesting to think about.

Also, not sure if anyone was aware, but the Financial Sense Newshour 3rd hour from March 14th spends a lot of time discussing the long wave cycles both in terms of markets and social movements. Very interesting stuff to think about and it seems to tie right in with the Fourth Turning.

Mike

coolhandluke's picture
coolhandluke

The Financial Sense guys are constantly refrencing the Forth Turning...Guess I will add that to my reading list.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
PlicketyCat wrote:

Hi SPM - I am Gen X and I do agree with you that there is a lot of sentiment floating around that all this nonsense is our fault because we are "entitled", sniveling, ungrateful, slacker brats who don't have a shred of moral fiber or work ethic amongst us.  I don't think all our elders feel this way, but getting into the blame-game is easier than any of us accepting responsibility for our part in the problem (no matter how great or small that fraction may be).

PlicketyCat 

Don't forget to mention that we also get to be reminded constantly how wonderful the 60's and early 70's were, how much time we waste on computers and/or video games (hey it beats experimenting with drugs!... which oh btw most boomers will NOW say are bad for you), and how the younger generations today can't even compare to what they accomplished back then... 

Ok I admit I'm just having a little fun at the boomers expense Laughing.  To be perfectly honest most boomers I've met have never been like that, but the few that were had been exceptionally obnoxious Tongue out.

Speaking only for myself and most of my group of friends (late Gen X and a few early Gen Y), I suppose we don't really waste much time considering generational divides or the stigmas and frictions attached to us by popular press and media.  I suppose that "Pffft!... whatever" is our usual shared response to media coverage of such things.  Regarding Gen-Y, it's sometimes hard for me to recognize most of them as a distinct generation so I don't feel that much separation.  Perhaps as you pointed out both generations largely have the boomers as parents, so maybe that plays into it.  And despite all the talk of helicopter-parenting and entitlement, most Gen-Yers I've worked with or spent time around haven't fit that mold.  As for boomers, I don't harbor grudges towards boomers in general (though maybe towards certain individuals).  I may be pretty ticked that the current mess happens to land in my lap, but I'm not going to take it out on them or the preceding generation just because their generations happened to be largely in charge at the time.  That being said I also don't feel like I 'owe' the preceding generation(s) anything... no pointing fingers or punishment, but at the same time no special treatment (i.e. I'm not paying more for someone else's retirement at my family's expense).

Personally I also don't think generational friction between Gen X, Y, or the generation after will be all that substantial.  However I do expect there to be a lot of strife between the boomers and all the younger generations though, primarily because I (and probably most of us here) expect government funded retirement and Medicare will evaporate just as they're crossing into retirement.  I expect it'll be pretty nasty.

- Nickbert

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Hey now Nickbert -

Our music back in the 60s and 70s is far superior to anything yer goofy generation has come up with.  Tongue out

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Hey now Nickbert -

Our music back in the 60s and 70s is far superior to anything yer goofy generation has come up with.  Tongue out

You almost could have a case there, if it only weren't for the existence of 70's disco.... that's an anchor not even the Stones, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd can keep above water   Wink

- Nickbert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments