widow of the legendary Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia, takes an
in-depth look at the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented,
genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled U.S. grocery
store shelves for the past decades. 

This film examines the complex web of market and political forces
that are changing what we eat as huge, multinational corporations seek
to control the world’s food systems but also explores alternatives to
large-scale industrial agriculture, offering solutions like organic and
sustainable agriculture as alternative food sources.

Larry

land2341's picture
land2341
Re: The Future of Food

I hope to revive this thread!  I just watched this movie through another site.  I was floored and dismayed of the way the law has been co-opted to protect the patent rights of corporations over that of farmers.

ron45's picture
ron45

I couldn't agree with you more. We've had this movie for a year or more and I didn't know about the  connection to the GD. 

Food Inc. is similar to this one in content. The idea of patenting life if abhorrent to me and only a merchant could fool himself into thinking it was the right thing to do. Monsanto and many many others should be tried for crimes against humanity. 

Ron

mliu_01's picture
mliu_01

ICELAND

If the erruption continue for few months. There can be a winter for the whole year in europe. Think what might happen.

revolution was after the last big one.

V's picture
V

Ron 

And just what court would hold this trial for crimes against humanity?

I suggest we justt go to the sentencing stage and the execution.

V

V's picture
V

Some of the most productive land in the world is devoted to growing corn. My friends in agriculture call this land, which is most of the Midwest and is spreading into the South, corn deserts.

This is a rather interesting video of how ubiquitous corn is. THis is a twenty minute clip. I recommend a peek at the whole thing. An interesting fact-if you are an American chances are you are mostly corn.

V

ron45's picture
ron45
V wrote:

Ron 

And just what court would hold this trial for crimes against humanity?

I suggest we justt go to the sentencing stage and the execution.

V

You are probably right. 

Ron

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

How bad are GM foods?  Don't expect the government, Monsanto the WHO to tell you because they are all hell bent on reducing the population.

Note:  I would be careful in assuming this Russian report is accurate as we know that their media lies almost as much as ours

A most chilling report circulating in the Kremlin today prepared by the Russian Academy of Medical and Technical Science for Prime Minister Putin states that a “mysterious die-off” in the United States has claimed over 2,000,000 lives since 2008 and is “more than likely” linked to a “crossover” plant disease linked to genetically modified grains and foods.

According to these reports this mysterious, and as yet unidentified, lung disease responsible for this mass die-off began during the spring of 2008 in the US agricultural State of Iowa where (very ironically) at least 36 people attending a Lung Association event at the Governors mansion were stricken.

Important to note about Iowa is that it is one of the largest corn producing regions in the World harvesting over 2 billon bushels of this valuable grain farmed on nearly 32 million acres of its farmland, over 99% of which are genetically modified varieties made by the US agricultural giant Monsanto and idententifeid by their trade names of Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603.

Not reported to the American people about these genetically modified corn varieties made by Monsanto was the study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences warning that they were linked to organ damage. Monsanto quickly responded to this study, stating that the research was “based on faulty analytical methods and reasoning and do not call into question the safety findings for these products.”

Russian scientists in these reports, however, call Monsanto’s claim of their genetically modified Mon 863 corn as being safe for human or animal consumption “totally without validation”, a finding supported by the French biomolecular engineering commission, the Commission du Génie Biomoléculaire (CGB) who stated in their report, “with the present data it cannot be concluded that GM corn MON 863 is a safe product.”

Further supporting the findings of Russian scientists was Greenpeace International, who in their report titled “MON 863: A chronicle of systematic deception” warned that the campaign to unearth and evaluate data about this most dangerous of genetically modified grains demonstrates, beyond all doubt, that MON863 is unfit for consumption.

Most unfortunately for the American people though, all of these warnings have been ignored by their government masters who have allowed the mass planting of these genetically modified crops to such an extent that in the United States today fully 80% of their corn and 93% of their soybeans are of these dangerous varieties and leading one Russian scientist in these reports to warn that our World is now on the verge of experiencing an ecological disaster of “Biblical proportions”.

For those wondering how the United States government could ever allow such a monstrous outrage to be committed on their citizens one only need know that over the past 10 years Monsanto has paid over $500 million in bribing those American officials responsible for food safety while at the same time has joined US corporate giants General Electric and Exxon Mobil in not paying any taxes despite the billions in profits they have reaped.

And for those Americans believing that President Obama will protect them from these outrages they couldn’t be more mistaken, and as we can read as reported by the Huffington Post News Service in their article titled “You’re Appointing Who? Please Obama, Say It’s Not So!” and which, in part, says:

The person who may be responsible for more food-related illness and death than anyone in history has just been made the US food safety czar. This is no joke.

Here’s the back story.

When FDA scientists were asked to weigh in on what was to become the most radical and potentially dangerous change in our food supply — the introduction of genetically modified (GM) foods — secret documents now reveal that the experts were very concerned. Memo after memo described toxins, new diseases, nutritional deficiencies, and hard-to-detect allergens. They were adamant that the technology carried “serious health hazards,” and required careful, long-term research, including human studies, before any genetically modified organisms (GMOs) could be safely released into the food supply.

But the biotech industry had rigged the game so that neither science nor scientists would stand in their way. They had placed their own man in charge of FDA policy and he wasn’t going to be swayed by feeble arguments related to food safety. No, he was going to do what corporations had done for decades to get past these types of pesky concerns. He was going to lie.”

Even worse for these American people are those believing they will be able to change their government in the upcoming National elections to be held in the United States this coming November, but which new reports are showing that Obama is also preparing for with a special military unit called the “Consequence Management Response Force” said ready to deploy during these elections at his command from his White House fortress the Washington Post writes has now become more like “Soviet-era Moscow” then the house of the people it used to be should these Americans begin to rise up against the growing corporate-run police state surrounding them.

To the final outcome of all of these events it is not in our knowing, other than to note that in the same week that one of Obama’s Federal Courts has outlawed all Americans from celebrating their National Prayer Day, and Obama has vowed to rid the United States of all of its nuclear weapons, President Putin, on the other hand, stated that Russia’s internal and external security depends upon two things – “its traditional religions and its nuclear forces”…and leaving no doubt whatsoever that our World has, indeed, turned upside down as the US descends into tyranny and Russia moves toward freedom.

Good eating...

Larry

land2341's picture
land2341

All I can find on this is this one article reported and repeated over and over with no reliable back up.

The shame of this is that I truly believe that such a die off could occur but unsubstantiated hyperbole does not do any good for those trying to get people to hear the science.  

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

While I'm certainly not qualified to make a scientific argument against GMO foods, I stand by my philosophical one:  If Nature had intended for genes from different species to be mixed, then She would have made interbreeding possible and done it Herself.

The arrogance of Man, still in his comparative infancy, assuming that He can do a better job than Nature and Evolution is completely abhorrent to me. The Law of Unintended Consequence can and will play a factor, and we are ill-eqipped to handle the fall-out.

Juli B's picture
Juli B

Hello folks,

I don't normally get in the response mode here, preferring to learn from wiser posters than me, but the issue of GMO feed and food is one I've worked with and on for many years....coming at this from both a policy perspective as well as a production mode--being an organic farmer (yes, that does imply a bias as to production methodology)!

I tend to go at this from a scientific standpoint --which is simply: this technology of recombinant gene synthesis cannot be controlled in a field environment. Period. We do not have accurate longitudal data on the health and/or ecological impacts of  genetically recombined organisms in uncontrolled environments and, frankly, once the genie is out of the bottle, no way to put it back in.

DNA from bacteria and viruses have been used as gene markers in plants and animals.. and we have stirred the pot way too many times. Given the profit motive of the biotech firms and their lobbying impacts on administrations from both parties, I am more concerned about the diffused impacts from these materials (I cannot call them "foods") on human and animal health than I am about nuclear bombs in the hands of  "terrorists". That impact might be less than global--GMO is not.

We have a lot of anecdotal evidence of crop residues that do not break down in the fields, animals losing body condition when fed GMO feed, rat studies showing very adverse effects from GMO feeding trials, and it's very hard to get accurate validation from land grant universities, given the hard core hold on research dollars from Big Ag. Which just got a lot harder with the Obama administration's appointment of Dr. Roger Beachy, fomerly president of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center in St. Louis, as head of NIFA (the National Institute of Food and Agriculture--which is the newly re-named CSREES branch of USDA.) NIFA was established as a result of a task force chaired by William Danforth (Think that is a coincidence?) -- Danforth Plant Science Center is a biotech-funded nonprofit think tank that promotes GMOS globally--NIFA is the entity that is in charge of all the land grant universities, all the Agricultural Experiment Stations, and Cooperative Extension across the country. A biotech firm's dream come true. And not the only biotech proponent among this administration's appointees, either.

Next on the list of "change" is the Food Safety Modernization Act proposed as Senate Bill 510--which could make life a reporting nightmare for any small farmer trying to sell food products directly to the public (as well as too expensive to pay for the certifications). Efforts by the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition to modify the language to make the impact less draconian on small producers initially met with highly unusual resistance. This bill gives the FDA a lot of jurisdiction over production and sales of farm products in the name of "food safety" but like the legislation that drove small community slaughter plants out of business --its major impact is on the small-scale sector of agriculture where little evidence exists to show problems...it just removes competition for big ag.

So as the discussion on whether or not to get into farming continues on another thread, I hope CM forum folks are paying attention to policies and legislation that will make it much harder to have local food systems that work and make it harder to include locally grown food at a community scale.

I firmly believe that the constituents who voted fro Obama believing they were voting for change have been sold down the river quite blatantly.

I keep remembering the quote from the movie "Serenity" where the space ship captain Mal says (I paraphrase) "You all can do what you want, but as for me, I aims to misbehave."

j.

land2341's picture
land2341

I don't think we've had a genuine elected leader since they killed Kennedy for trying to rein in the Fed.

Having said that,  the most egregious thing I have heard has been the implementation of e-coli and antibiotic resistance in the same genetic material.  The likelihood of this which has already gotten "out" of the field trials, becoming a huge disaster is so high as to be irrational.  A five year old would look at that and say, gee it doesn't seem like a good idea to use a deadly organism along with the genetic material it can use to learn to avoid all of our known medicines against it.

Our ignorance and hubris will doom us yet.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

The thing that continually chaps me is that the Federal government only has consitutional jurisdiction over INTERSTATE trade... they shouldn't have any control or influence over what I direct sell from my farm to my neighbor (unless he happens to be across state lines). This is a problem in a lot of arenas, but none more egregious than agriculture IMO.  The FDA/USDA and all it's bastard offspring have definitely overstepped their bounds.  I'm ashamed of all the states that give up their rights (and our rights for us!!) by blindly follow the fed ag BS.

Oh yes -- "I aim to misbehave."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments