Funk The War!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
John99's picture
John99
Funk The War!

October 7th, 2009

Students host peaceful, 'Funk the War' rally to call and end to both wars, and to spend some of this wasted money on education. Also, to stop sending military recruiters into their school.

Watch what happens.....

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Business as Usual

I feel much safer now that those dangerous protesters are off the street, don't you?

John99's picture
John99
Re: Business as Usual

Top 'o the mornin' to you, C1oudfire!

I feel safer, indeed. Actually, I'm feeling excited at the moment that real change is about to come. These student beatings just might re-awaken some memories in the old hippies – maybe they have one more protest to give!!!

Exciting news on Iceland! The people have voted in a woman, an Icelandic poet, (who ran last minute on a shoestring), and who called yesterday for a moratorium on all debt repayment. Go girl go!

And further I see a new blogsite created by a famous and wonderful CM member – looks good on you and many heart-felt congratulations to you!!!!

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Business as Usual
John99 wrote:

Top 'o the mornin' to you, C1oudfire!

I feel safer, indeed. Actually, I'm feeling excited at the moment that real change is about to come. These student beatings just might re-awaken some memories in the old hippies – maybe they have one more protest to give!!!

Exciting news on Iceland! The people have voted in a woman, an Icelandic poet, (who ran last minute on a shoestring), and who called yesterday for a moratorium on all debt repayment. Go girl go!

And further I see a new blogsite created by a famous and wonderful CM member – looks good on you and many heart-felt congratulations to you!!!!

Thanks, John . . . but I think that I'm probably an infamous CM member, lol . . .   Be that as it may, I am more comfortable without a gag in my mouth . . . . though I daresay some others are more comfortable with it in . . . And this is a decent segue for my new signature:  If you weren't living in a cage, I wouldn't be rattling it . . . . Which is a lot more inciteful (not a misspelling) than I feel . . . Sometimes I just feel that the kindest thing a person can do, when the house is on fire, is to shake people awake . . . .

Edit:  Isn't it mid-afternoon in Istanbul?  G'day to you!

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods
Clever War Bumper Sticker

I saw a bumper sticker the other day; It was so clever, I wanted to pull the driver over and ask where s/he got it. I don't know if I can quote it exactly now, but the gist was more or less this:

After we rebuild Iraq, can we rebuild our schools?

It has taken me several years to really figure out where I stand, politically. For many years, I tried to support GWB in his pre-emptive invasion of Iraq, and the war in Afghanistan, but the more Libertarian literature I read, the more I realize what a farce both theaters are. I work as a civilian contractor on one of the world's largest military bases, and I have the greatest respect for the work that our men and women in the Armed Services are doing.

But, reading about the unconstitutionality of 50 or more military actions across the globe since WWII, burns me up!! They give it a different name, it's a "police action" or some such nonsense, and voila, the President can send troops wherever he wants. When there are people, somewhere that are shooting real bullets and planting real explosives with intent to maim and kill; Friends, that's "WAR" by any other name. Our "leaders" think they can hoodwink us because we're too dumb to know the difference, and they plot and scheme in the name of WMD's or spreading democracy or deposing tyrannical despots or some such [email protected], and we jump on board, because we want to support our country.

Further, the more I read on CM.com, it becomes apparent why TPTB want to continue a fiat based monetary system. A money system that is backed by nothing can be used to print money to make bombs ad infinitum. It drives me crazy.

Anyway, the original point of my post was the clever bumper sticker.

jneo's picture
jneo
Re: Funk The War!

War is a Racket  nuff said.  The Video shows police who can't think for themselves.  Let the hippies protest, then everyone can go home.  The police should be stopping crime not this crap.  piggs.

John99's picture
John99

I saw a neat bumper sticker, too. It said:

"Fighting for Peace is like *ucking for virginity"  :-)

and Cloudfire, (with the 1 replaced and the cage-rattling addition), we send greeting from Finike, Turkey, far, far from Istanbul and it is currently 30C with a water temp of 25C - yummy!

machinehead's picture
machinehead

From Reuters --

KABUL (AP) - U.S. forces have withdrawn from an isolated base in eastern Afghanistan that insurgents attacked last week in one of the deadliest battles of the war for U.S. troops, the NATO-led coalition said Friday.

The pullout from the Kamdesh outpost near the Pakistani border is likely to embolden insurgent fighters in the region. The Taliban swiftly claimed "victory" for forcing the coalition to leave and said they had raised their flag above the town.

The withdrawal, however, had been planned well before the Oct. 3 battle and is part of a wider strategy outlined by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who has said for months he plans to shut down such isolated strongholds to focus on more heavily populated areas in an effort to protect civilians.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091009/D9B7HP4G0.html

Right-o, pal, you betcha. Here's how THAT end game plays out:

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

...this brings to mind an earthmover of a funk tune by a l'il outfit called the Fort Knox Five:  "Funk for Peace."  It's downloadable at iTunes.  If your tushie doesn't move, check your pulse.

Shakin' it on a cool rainy Friday -- Sager

Saffron's picture
Saffron

I'm speechless. It's such an overreaction to what was going on. They could have easily given warnings if the case was just a matter of needing some sort of permit (which in itself is tyrannical - if you need a permit to complain, how easy is it to just deny the permit and you've effectively removed the right to petition.) 

To me this shows TPTB are expecting more of this and have warned police to nip the slightest agitation in the bud so that things cannot escalate. Thousands more will join a demonstration of 100,000 but it takes a lot of guts to participate when it's small. So if they are effective in wiping out any chance of people gathering in small clusters, they can avoid ever having to deal with larger numbers. 

But ... they just may have done the opposite if people start viewing the video and realizing our first amendment was pretty much trampled on. Quote from the video:

"... he's arrested for swearing on the sidewalk." 

Twenty-seven cop cars for this?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
We're Outta Here!
machinehead wrote:

Right-o, pal, you betcha. Here's how THAT end game plays out:

Talk about an iconic image . . .

This one, too:

Your tax dollars at work . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Saffron wrote:

I'm speechless. It's such an overreaction to what was going on. They could have easily given warnings if the case was just a matter of needing some sort of permit (which in itself is tyrannical - if you need a permit to complain, how easy is it to just deny the permit and you've effectively removed the right to petition.) 

To me this shows TPTB are expecting more of this and have warned police to nip the slightest agitation in the bud so that things cannot escalate. Thousands more will join a demonstration of 100,000 but it takes a lot of guts to participate when it's small. So if they are effective in wiping out any chance of people gathering in small clusters, they can avoid ever having to deal with larger numbers. 

But ... they just may have done the opposite if people start viewing the video and realizing our first amendment was pretty much trampled on. Quote from the video:

"... he's arrested for swearing on the sidewalk." 

Twenty-seven cop cars for this?

I hope you're right Saffron . . . about the brutality inspiring people to speak out  . . . Unfortunately, I sometimes wonder whether the intimidation will cause Americans to do what they do best:  Keep their heads low, and hope somebody else deals with it . . . .  Land of the Free, and Home of the Brave, and all . . . . Eeesh, I'm cynical . . . .

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Probably lucky that I don't live near Rochester. Makes me plain angry to see such nonsense.

May not do any good, but if we all do a little something when we see this sort of thing, maybe we can have an effect. Anyway, here is a copy of my email to the Mayor and the head of the tourist bureau ........

Dear Mr Mayor

I recently viewed a video of some 27 police cars/policemen arresting  a small group of non-violent student anit-war protesters.
The police were acting like the jack-booted skin heads that they obviously are and carried their authority far beyond the bounds of reason.
I don't think you'll catch us anywhere near Rochester given the potential for this kind of welcome. Shameful -- haven't we learned anything from the past ? You have just hardened the line between a group of well meaning young people against  authority and accomplished nothing but raise the violence level.

Sincerely

Jim Pitre

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments