A frugal way to invest in gold...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kurosawa's picture
Kurosawa
A frugal way to invest in gold...

I thought I'd share a quick tip with investing in gold.  Many people I speak to think that you have to have at least $1000 to pay for a single ounce of gold.  You can get into the gold market much cheaper by investing in 1/10 oz or 1/20 oz gold coins. 

1/10 oz = around $125

1/20 oz= around $60

You can buy coins such as Canadian Leaves or Pandas that come in this weight.

To get a cheaper deal I suggest buying used gold coins since I personally don't think it'll really matter in the long run.  Sorry to those who already knew of this (most of you probably) but couldn't resist sharing since the people I come in contact with think you need to buy a whole flilppin' oz.

Kurosawa's picture
Kurosawa
Re: A frugal way to invest in gold...

BTW I'd say Ebay is one of your best bets, be sure to bid on the items that end weekdays since less people are watching.

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Alternate perspective: I think buying gold from one of the dealers Chris identified in his Take Action section of this website is much more frugal both in terms of time and value.  You can buy coins smaller than an oz. but you'll likely be paying much more on a per oz. basis.  Ebay can take a lot of time searching for good deals, that might be better spent elsewhere. 

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri

Better yet.  If you don't have enough money for an oz of gold, buy silver.  Silver is about $16-$17 per oz.  In the long run silver will go up at least as much or more (percentage wise) as gold.

Kurosawa's picture
Kurosawa
Mr. Fri wrote:

Better yet.  If you don't have enough money for an oz of gold, buy silver.  Silver is about $16-$17 per oz.  In the long run silver will go up at least as much or more (percentage wise) as gold.

I think it's important to diversify.  Many of the precious metal gurus I've come across recommend gold to hold the most weight in your precious metals portfolio.  Gold I think has more certainty than silver.  Don't get me wrong I still invest in silver but I think gold is the better hedge.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments