*Free* Garden planning software online

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ready's picture
Ready
*Free* Garden planning software online

My wife just stumbled on to this site:

http://www.growveg.com/Default.aspx

They have an interesting garden planner software that makes it easy to see how much, how far apart, what does well with what, what time to plant, harvest, etc. all the different plants in your garden. We are massively increasing the size of our garden this year, and were looking for something like this to make it as efficient as possible.

I have no affiliation with the company, just passing along a neat find. You can get the first 30 days free, and really do what you need to in that timeframe, so it would seem.

Best.

Rog

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Re: *Free* Garden planning software online
R_Eddy wrote:

My wife just stumbled on to this site:

http://www.growveg.com/Default.aspx

They have an interesting garden planner software that makes it easy to see how much, how far apart, what does well with what, what time to plant, harvest, etc. all the different plants in your garden. We are massively increasing the size of our garden this year, and were looking for something like this to make it as efficient as possible.

I have no affiliation with the company, just passing along a neat find. You can get the first 30 days free, and really do what you need to in that timeframe, so it would seem.

Best.

Rog

Great link, Rog. Thanks for posting it.

However, I suggest you check out the FAQ page for complete details on how this really works. Good info in there.

http://www.growveg.com/faq.aspx

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Handy tool if you live in "normal" zones, and want to plant "normal" crops. The fact that it doesn't allow you to factor in transplanting indoor starts, any kind of season extenders, succession planting, intercropping or companion planting was rather disappointing. But I think it would work ok for someone just getting started and not doing anything too fancy.

We're also planting some non-standard plants and the "nearest thing to it" either isn't in the database or is different enough that it's pointless. I'm also not always keen on web services rather than installed software, too much can go wrong in that scenario.We've been searching for garden/mini-farm planting software that allows you to enter in the details for your specific plants and varieties, info on season extenders, as well as set up succession plantings and intercropping... so far, we haven't found one that does what we want. Looks like we're going to end up using our onboard computers (i.e. brains) instead :)

growveg's picture
growveg

Disclaimer: I'm the founder of GrowVeg.com, so my comments will of course be biased but I think they are relevant to this discussion...

@PlicketyCat: the GrowVeg.com planning software does adapt to different climate zones - in fact we developped it in association with an expert horticulturalist so that you enter your zip code and it works out your average frost dates from a database of over 3000 weather stations across the US (you can manually adjust them too if you prefer).  Then all the recommended planting dates adjust to your area, including the reminder emails of when to sow and plant crops.  For Southern locations the software has an option to produce split Spring and Fall planting times for cool season crops that won't grow well in hot summers.

Your points about season extenders, succession planting, intercropping etc are well taken and we have been working to incorporate them into the software.  In early 2010 we will release a new version which allows you to customize all plants, planting times, varieties, add notes, organize succession planting etc.  Companion planting may be added in the future...

I understand your reservations about web software.  However, by keeping the plans in a central database we can ensure that they are reliably backed up and keep our support costs down (contact me if you would like details of how reliably we keep our users' data).  Distributing the product as a stand-alone package would cost a lot more because of the increased support costs but it may be something for the future.

Thanks for your comments - we love getting feedback like this as it helps us make the product even better.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I'm more than happy to provide feedback and suggestions for possible improvement to any and all software designers... I used to be one :)

Please, please, please do not forget that Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US!! Yes, some people do try to grow things in Zone 1 & 2.  That's been my biggest issue with all the software I've tried. It's so frustrating to get ZIP-aligned software, type in your ZIP and get a "your location is not supported" message - arg!

I understand the support cost factors. There are two main concerns with online - 1) what if you live in the boonies and can't access the internet anytime you want (like me), and 2) subscription-based applications... when I buy software, I want it to stay bought, not be a slow trickle out of my checkbook every month. I understand the continuing costs of web hosting, developing live enhancements and content updates, and site maintenance; but perhaps understand a little too well the costs vs. price-point models used in many online services. In this area, I believe that much can be done to equally meet the needs of consumers and the needs of providers.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

PlicketyCat, I just planned my garden with the growveg software and printed it out, which will negate the need for a subscription to the growveg.com site. I used the planting guide list on each garden (I did four - one for each plantable side of the house and one for a forest garden back behind the property fence.) It took an immense amount of research, but all the plants are going to be heirloom/non-hybrid and will be able to handle our weather here in the Carolina midlands.

Today we ordered about half the seeds we are going to need. I lordered from Amishland seeds and Victory Seeds. I have a list of materials. We are very excited about the possibility of feeding ourselves and have enough property that it's doable, with extra to trade or give away. I did a careful analysis of what we needed, calorie-wise and nutrition-wise, and am planting Among other things we plan on planting pawpaws in the woods. I wonder how far back we'd have to plant them to not be bothered by the smell of the flowers? (Their flowers smell like rotting meat to attract polinating flies  - ew.)

The property is going to be done in Square Foot Gardens, and I just got the new SFG book with a Christmas gift certificate - much better than the old book.

radishcake's picture
radishcake
safewrite wrote:

PlicketyCat, I just planned my garden with the growveg software and printed it out, which will negate the need for a subscription to the growveg.com site.

If you use it, you owe them something

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Radishcake,

Agreed: they are owed something.

(1) I'm not working, and have not been working since June. If I get a job, I will subscribe to growveg.com, at least for a month

(2) They set it up so the first month is free. If the first month was for a fee I would have paid the fee, gladly. Or if it was software to purchase like plickety cat I would have purchased it  (up to a point.)

growveg's picture
growveg

@safewrite: It's OK, we are happy to have people use the software for just 30 days - there is no obligation to subscribe after that (and a subscription does not automatically start).  All we ask is that you help spread the word about the software if you found it useful.

Just in case you are interested, the primary reasons people do choose to subscribe are:

1) You get email reminders twice a month listing the plants that need sowing and planting out from your own plans (customized to your location via your zipcode)

2) You get future access to your plans if you need to change them mid-season (many people do make changes during the gardening year) or for the coming year (so you don't have to re-input your garden layout and plants every year).  Plus the system gets smarter each year that you subscribe because it remembers the plants you had in the ground for the past 5 years and shows you where not to plant each vegetable based on the principles of crop rotation

3) The new version of our software (due out early 2010) will enable you to build up a bank of varieites of each plant you use, with their own custom spacing and sow/plant/harvest dates.  Subscribing keeps all that for you.

BTW We have plans for a Square Foot Gardening update to the software which should help you a lot!

growveg's picture
growveg

Sorry - duplicate comment removed

JAG's picture
JAG

I briefly took a look at the service and liked what I saw, especially the crop rotation guidelines. Right now, I use my calendar app to provide notification of planting and prep dates and it works great.

Thanks for the dig on this Ready.

Ready's picture
Ready
Garden Planning Revisited - Software used?

Getting ready to sit down and plan out this year's garden. We are overdue for a really great harvest this year.

I'm curious if anyone is using this software, or perhaps you have found something better? Any advice or links would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

R

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Garden planner app for ipad

Here is a link that I found at Mother Earth News to a garden planner app for the ipad. It looks similar to the above service and is on sale for one week at a cost of ten bucks.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/grow-planner-gardening-app.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_content=01.13.12+FG&utm_campaign=2012+FG&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

I thought about getting either the subscription or the app but even the best planner in the world isn't going to overcome my two brown thumbs unless it'll plant seeds, weed and water for me. If anybody finds one of those please, PLEASE, let me know. (Especially if it'll wash my truck for me too!)

lro78's picture
lro78
Hello, in case your are

Hello,
in case your are interested, I developped during my leisure a free online vegetable garden planner that allows to draw your vegetable garden and manage the related gardening tasks. It also includes a useful companion planting feature ( for those who want to get close to bio gardeners practices ).

It is available here : http://www.egardenpad.com

Hope you will find it useful and fun !

Your comments are very welcome.
Good evening

juice's picture
juice
 sweet garden panning

sweet garden panning software.  thanks!

watson's picture
watson
Companion Planting Guide

<a href="http://www.companionplantingguide.com/">Companion Planting guide</a> Any Companion with cauliflower??

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments