Free downloads of the "Where There is No Doctor" book series

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
PetraViolet's picture
PetraViolet
Free downloads of the "Where There is No Doctor" book series

Hello, 

I'm new/scared and taking my first steps to prepare. While looking for resources, I found this link. It may already have been shared here, and if so I apologize for posting again (but how could you post this too often!):

http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php

This is a link to PDF downloads of the book Where There is No Doctor (mentioned by Chris in his "What Should I Do?" section on health)

The link also has PDF files of the other books in the series (Dentist, Women's health, etc.), as well as other health-related downloads. 

Enjoy! 

Petra

Rector's picture
Rector
Re: Free downloads of the "Where There is No Doctor" book ...

Petra,

Welcome to this community!  Don't be scared.  Just don't procrastinate.  Prioritize your efforts and don't get seized with internet paralysis.  You don't have to be a meteorologist to know that a hurricane is about to hit.  Studying the processes of a hurricane isn't the same as boarding up the windows.

You are already 5 steps ahead of the herd.

Great first post.  I have the download and appreciate your effort.  

Thanks,

Rector

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Welcome Petra (and thanks for the link!) --

What Rector said.  If you've reached awareness, you're already well on your way.  Just take one step at a time and keep checking things off your list of preparations.  If you haven't already, give this a read --

http://www.peakprosperity.com/page/what-should-i-do

-- it will help you prioritize and it's full of recommendations.

Again -- welcome.  We look forward to seeing your around!

Viva -- Sager

PetraViolet's picture
PetraViolet

Thank you both for welcoming me. :)

I have started preparation.......just feeling the urgent need to step it up after finding this site! When the oil spill hit last year, I knew it was a Very Bad Thing, and somehow knew things would never be the same.....can't tell you why. Just did. So I bought seeds. My friends and BF at the time literally laughed at me for going out in August to buy up all of the heirloom/organic seeds I could find. I was like, "You never know what might happen."

Then I learned about Peak Oil and stareted reading......put the whole thing on hold last Fall and this week I've been home sick so I watched Collapse on Netflix again and then found this site. I like Ruppert, but somehow having this website with articles from so many people in the fiinancial sector in agreement got me a little freaked out again.

I don't live in a great neighborhood, not enough money to move. I can get a spot at the Community Garden this year, but will need to drive to it as it is not near me. Not allowed to have a garden where I live (apartment). So, I'm doing what little I can....I will work the pea patch as best I can and hope that everything doesn't go to hell in a handbasket until after this year's harvest. 

I am learning to spin, and collecting the tools I may needs, as I can slowly afford them. I just need a few more months.....and I feel like there may not even be that amount of time left.Frown It's a bit overwhelming. 

Can we please not have a giant collapse of Western Civilization (debabtable label) before, say, Fall of 2012? That would be good, thanks.

sevenmmm's picture
sevenmmm
PetraViolet wrote:

Thank you both for welcoming me. :)

I have started preparation.......just feeling the urgent need to step it up after finding this site! When the oil spill hit last year, I knew it was a Very Bad Thing, and somehow knew things would never be the same.....can't tell you why. Just did. So I bought seeds. My friends and BF at the time literally laughed at me for going out in August to buy up all of the heirloom/organic seeds I could find. I was like, "You never know what might happen."

Then I learned about Peak Oil and stareted reading......put the whole thing on hold last Fall and this week I've been home sick so I watched Collapse on Netflix again and then found this site. I like Ruppert, but somehow having this website with articles from so many people in the fiinancial sector in agreement got me a little freaked out again.

I don't live in a great neighborhood, not enough money to move. I can get a spot at the Community Garden this year, but will need to drive to it as it is not near me. Not allowed to have a garden where I live (apartment). So, I'm doing what little I can....I will work the pea patch as best I can and hope that everything doesn't go to hell in a handbasket until after this year's harvest. 

I am learning to spin, and collecting the tools I may needs, as I can slowly afford them. I just need a few more months.....and I feel like there may not even be that amount of time left.Frown It's a bit overwhelming. 

Can we please not have a giant collapse of Western Civilization (debabtable label) before, say, Fall of 2012? That would be good, thanks.

You have the time. The collapse of the empire started many years ago (maybe when Nixon closed the Gold window) and has many more left to run its course. This current civilization will attempt to burn every lump of coal, every therm of gas, and every drop of oil. Be patient, lower your lifecost and build your reserves slowly. IMNSHO. Check out becoming an urban honey bee keeper!

PetraViolet's picture
PetraViolet

Thank you. I hope you're right about having time. I can only do so much with the funds I have and still keep my current roof over my head.

Beekeeping is appealing, actually, although I doubt the landlord would allow it here. But in the next two years my goal is to move to a slightly different suburban area, hopefully be able to work close to where I live and be able to have a garden at my home. Just that much of a change would give me a great deal of peace of mind - control over my immediate environment.

I've even bought some grain seeds and cotton seeds. Not trying to be paranoid and overplan - but thought they will be fun & interesting to grow, anyway. And there's nothing wrong with making something as simple as a crocheted dishtowel from fibers I've grown myself, or having a bowl of hot oatmeal from plants I grew at home - regardless of the state of the economy/world. 

albinorhino's picture
albinorhino
PetraViolet wrote:

Hello, 

I'm new/scared and taking my first steps to prepare. While looking for resources, I found this link. It may already have been shared here, and if so I apologize for posting again (but how could you post this too often!):

http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php

This is a link to PDF downloads of the book Where There is No Doctor (mentioned by Chris in his "What Should I Do?" section on health)

The link also has PDF files of the other books in the series (Dentist, Women's health, etc.), as well as other health-related downloads. 

Enjoy! 

Petra

Thanks for the link, Petra! This book was on my short list.

earthwise's picture
earthwise

"Where There is No Doctor" looks to be a great resource, and the site looks like it has other cool stuff as well like "Where There is no Dentist". It'd be nice if there was something like "Where There is no Veteranarian" for farm critters. Anybody ever see a do-it-yourself veteranarian guide? 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Hi PetraViolet-

FIrst, welcome to the site!  You're in good company here; most all of us started out scared and freaked-out, too.  Some of us (ok, speaking for myself!:) regularly revisit that state as well!  But you've taken your first steps, and that's big.  It also really helps being able to interact with a community of people, like the ones here, who see things the same way. 

Hey, I wanted to let you know I've posted your link to the "Where There Is No Doctor" book series on the "Consolidated List of Links to Existing Preparattion Threads" that DIAP started for us, at http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/102390#comment-102390 .  This is a great resource that others will be happy to have; thanks for sharing!

-pinecarr

PetraViolet's picture
PetraViolet

Cool! Happy to contribute, since I plan to be taking a lot of info from here for my own use as well.

Today, I received the last of the seeds I ordered. At least I can exhale in that regard. :) Come what may, I will be able to grow something!

I've carefully selected the highest-rated books I could find on about 8 topics I think are important, from gardening to DIY to herbal healing.....having a small but powerful library at hand will also give me some additional breathing room, I think. :)

Thanks for all of the welcoming comments!

JIDE's picture
JIDE
WHERE THERE IS NO DOCTOR

PLEASE I NEED WHERE THERE IS NO DOCTOR BOOK

THANKS

adefat's picture
adefat
this site will help in case

this site will help in case there are no doctor around

richard samuel masaba's picture
richard samuel ...
free down load a book where there is no doctor

intereted in saving life

SOJ's picture
SOJ
first aid - Preventing lost of live

Where there is no doctor is a very educative book which i think if it is properly read, you will be able to save lives of people by rendering the first aid knowledge gotten from the book before doctor is contacted

Oakland Rio's picture
Oakland Rio
Veterinary Titles

Hesperian also distributes 2 books which cover animal husbandry and health:

Where There Is No Animal Doctor (http://store.hesperian.org/HB/prod/B805.html) which covers livestock like horses, cows, pigs, goats and rabbits, and

Where There Is No Pet Doctor (http://store.hesperian.org/HB/B839.html ), which covers dogs and cats.

Best wishes,

Rio

Dnotiende's picture
Dnotiende
Where ithere is no doctor

Both where there is no doctor and veterinary doctor are two important bocks i would like to read

horogo jr's picture
horogo jr
where there is no vet

nice site for downloading essential books for improving our life and economy of the nation

BILLA John's picture
BILLA John
Greetings

Nice to have stumble onto this link where I can download some useful books and help others with the knowledge in my community.

BILLA

BILLA John's picture
BILLA John
Where there is no animal doctor

Will like to have this book

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments