France Telecom suicides

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
britinbe's picture
britinbe
France Telecom suicides

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,26139655-36418,00.html

The link above doesn't do the scandal that's brewing in France any real justice.  Unfortunately, people do seem to link themselves and their own value  to their work/career/position and so I wonder whether this is a sign of things to come.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: France Telecom suicides

The tragedy is that this man valued his life in the terms that had been dictated by his employer, not in terms of his value as a created and treasured human being . . . . If he had understood his true worth, he never would have taken such a terrible action . . . . Frown

britinbe's picture
britinbe
C1oudfire wrote:

The tragedy is that this man valued his life in the terms that had been dictated by his employer, not in terms of his value as a created and treasured human being . . . . If he had understood his true worth, he never would have taken such a terrible action . . . . Frown

Absolutely agree.  The trouble or truth of the matter is that he and the others that have committed suicide are by no means unique and the same  philosophy towards life undoubtdly prevails in a large proportion of the working population in many companies.  The article is a bit week, the French language articles are far more detailed talking of those that tried to commit suicide but were reached just in time.

It struck me the other day that when people ask you to introduce yourself, even in social situations, that one profession generally follows one's name............

It will be interesting to see if similar stories crop up as this unwinding carries on.......

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

U.S. mental health spending rising rapidly
By anne
Created Aug 6 2009 - 9:30am
U.S. mental illness spending is rising faster than spending on any other category of healthcare, according to new data released this week by the HHS Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. This fact is particularly noteworthy, given that little discussion has been given to controlling mental health costs in the ongoing, contentious debate over healthcare reform.

The cost for treating mental disorders rose from $35 billion (in 2006) to nearly $58 billion between 1996 and 2006, according to the AHRQ data. In fact, spending on mental illness grew faster than for heart disease, cancer, trauma-linked disorders and asthma, researchers noted.

Meanwhile, the number of Americans seeking treatment for depression, bipolar disorder and other mental health conditions almost doubled, from 19 million to 36 million, the agency said.

A study released earlier this week, meanwhile, showed that antidepressant use among U.S. residents almost doubled during a similar time period, 1996 to 2005.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/u-s-mental-health-spending-rising-rapidly/2009-08-06?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss&cmp-id=OTC-RSS-FH0

Mental Illness, Rising Rates and What They Really Mean ...

Sep 14, 2008 ... The World Health
 Organization (WHO) estimates that by the year 2020 mental illness will be the second leading cause of death and disability. ...

Mental illness to be the greatest killer by 2020 - Volume 3 Issue ...

Mental illness to be the greatest killer by 2020. DNIS News Network - A three-day conference on 'Recent Trends in Mental Health in India' drew attention to ...
dnis.org/news.php?issue_id=10&volume_id=3... -

All this stems from our consumer culture which we are exporting all over the world.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
britinbe wrote:

It struck me the other day that when people ask you to introduce yourself, even in social situations, that one profession generally follows one's name............

That is so true, Britinbe . . . I have noticed the inevitability of that question during introductions, and my internal reaction to it, when I have transitioned back and forth between working in the ICU, or as a "homemaker", or as a garden designer . . . . While I realize that to some degree, the question is designed to discover common ground for conversation, there's often the unmistakable "value judgement" look in people's eyes, depending on whether they feel that one's current occupation is "above" or "below" them . . . . That's why it is liberating not to value oneself as seen in the eyes of men and women, but rather through the eyes of our source . . . . which is unchanging and immovable . . . .

umaperegrina's picture
umaperegrina

I had an acquaintance who, when people asked "what do you do?", responded "when?".  Now there's a conversation stopper.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
umaperegrina wrote:

I had an acquaintance who, when people asked "what do you do?", responded "when?".  Now there's a conversation stopper.

Which puts me in the mind of Marcel Duchamp, who responded to the "occupation" line of a census document with the response "respirateur" -- or..."breather"....

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

This is a bit off-topic, but:

I used to be a Zen practitioner . . . One day, in the minutes after the end of sesshin (a multi-day, intensive meditation session), I was asked, "How are you?"  My in-the-moment response was to say, "I'm like this", and just sat there . . . which got a round of giddy, post-sesshin laughter . . . To this day, that's my answer, whenever I'm not in the mood for shallow small talk . . . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments