Fracking Caused Virginia Quake

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
strive4impact's picture
strive4impact
Fracking Caused Virginia Quake

Does anyone have more information or sources about fracking and how ots' related to the most recent string of freak earthquakes (in areas where earthquakes don't happen as often)

http://www.carrieandjonathan.com/colorado-earthquake-fracking-sucks/
http://www.greenjoyment.com/fracking-causes-virginia-and-colorado-earthq...

Any suggestions or thoughts on getting this practice stopped?  The Virigina quake cracked the bricks at the top of that Washington Momument.

joelandsonia's picture
joelandsonia
My family lives in

My family lives in Louisa.    To my knowledge there is NO fracking going on in that area.

You *could* speculate about Lake Anna (man-made lake) having some long-term effect, but fracking -- don't think so for this case.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
This Just In....

The White Habanero-Peach Salsa I made the day before the earthquake was just named a person of interest and is being sought for questioning by the USGS.

Oh yes, I almost forgot.  There is no fracking going on near Mineral, VA as it is nowhere near the Marcellus Shale deposits that are on the VA-WV border.

jumblies's picture
jumblies
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Habanero-Peach Salsa

That sounds fantastic, what a great idea. Guess I'm cooking tonight then.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Hurricane Salsa perhaps?
jumblies wrote:
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Habanero-Peach Salsa

That sounds fantastic, what a great idea. Guess I'm cooking tonight then.

jumblies -

Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to replicate the recipe.  I just took a walk through the garden and grabbed a bunch of stuff.  But in case you are interested, here's what I think I did:

10 cups diced lemon boy tomatoes, 5-6 cups diced plum tigris tomatoes - they were cut large so the salsa was pretty chunky.

6 large sweet banana peppers, 4 Anaheim peppers, 3 green bell peppers, 4 large onions, 1 crushed garlic clove (about 5 cups total here)

12 white habaneros, 6 orange habaneros, 12 tabasco peppers, 20 Chinese 5 Color aji peppers, 1 ghost pepper and 1 Trinidad Scorpion Tail pepper.  (I pureed all of these together in a food processor - close your eyes before taking the top off and breathe through your mouth.  Do not ask me how I know to do this.)

1 jar of our canned peaches from last year, added a dash of salt, molasses and vinegar.

Dumped everything in a pot, brought to a boil, backed off the heat a little until is was just a little bubbly and reduced it until it started to thicken up some.  Then I transferred everything into jars and followed the standard instructions for canning salsa in boiling water bath.

Cracked the first jar today and I have to say it is outstanding.  The sweetness of the peach blends well with the flavor of the habaneros and the Chinese ajis.  The Scorpion Tail and Ghost pepper put a very nice attention getting heat to it.  I believe that is what the USGS is after.....

Good luck with your batch.  I'm hoping Hurricane Irene leaves enough garden to be able to make another batch.  My Scorpion tail plants are loaded with blooms and I would really hate to lose them.

docmims's picture
docmims
Lack of QE3 by Ben

Lack of QE3 by Ben "Fracking" Bernanke could be the culprit. Methinks.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
docmims wrote: Lack of QE3
docmims wrote:

Lack of QE3 by Ben "Fracking" Bernanke could be the culprit. Methinks.

Hahahahha

I think it was the vibration from all those printing presses running at high speed.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
DIAP

if fear of the wind winds high enough  to warrent concern, trim pepper plants back to a level where coefficient of wind drag will not upset the root cluster of the plants. There is sufficient time in your zone to reboom and set fruit.  The judicious use of clear plastic will buy sufficient time. It is better to save the est. plant for later fruit than toulose it to high winds.(pardonthe typing)

robie

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
robie robinson wrote: if
robie robinson wrote:

if fear of the wind winds high enough  to warrent concern, trim pepper plants back to a level where coefficient of wind drag will not upset the root cluster of the plants. There is sufficient time in your zone to reboom and set fruit.  The judicious use of clear plastic will buy sufficient time. It is better to save the est. plant for later fruit than toulose it to high winds.(pardonthe typing)

robie

lol

Robie is this an allegory?

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
On it, thanks robie....
robie robinson wrote:

robie

The garden is at the top of the list for tomorrow's efforts.  I may transplant a couple of the bigger peppers into pots and move them inside and risk shock and blossom drop.  Everything else is pretty much taken care of.  The storm surge is predicted to be 7 feet, we are at 13 feet above sea level and have 9 miles of swamp, forest and farmland between us and the ocean, not to mention all of Back Bay so I'm not worried about the surge.  Low tide is 2:16 PM Saturday which is about when the first rain bands from the western semicircle should start wrapping back around on us.  That's just about ideal timing.

Tha Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to the peninsula and Richmond is currently backed up 16 miles and 5 hours.Our only option now is 58 west out your way, but we're going to ride it out.  We do have a bug out spot in Farmville ready to receive if it gets dicey.  With storm surge not that much of a risk, I'd rather be here to deal with any wind damage sooner rather than later.

erin rose's picture
erin rose
Howdy Neighbors

We live in North Garden, just south of Charlottesville VA. Nice to know we have neighbors. So is it all clear at the nuclear plant? Should we feel safe?

Take care-

Erin and TIm

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Howdy Neighbors

Howdy Erin

Welcome to CM!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Hello neighbor!!
erin rose wrote:

We live in North Garden, just south of Charlottesville VA. Nice to know we have neighbors. So is it all clear at the nuclear plant? Should we feel safe?

Take care-

Erin and TIm

Erin and Tim -

Welcome to the site.  Last I heard North Anna was going to stay shut down until the hurricane cleared.  I haven't checked the Dominion site today for any updates but will keep an eye out and post if anything looks squirrelly.

Holler if you have any questions - we get out your way quite often - and there are several other CM.com members pretty close to C-ville.

docmims's picture
docmims
Wait a minute.... what if

Wait a minute.... what if fracking causes hurricanes?  Somebody needs to get some infos on this.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
(s)he who's name shall not be uttered....

C'mon doc, haven't you been listening to Michelle Bachman?  She knows who causes hurricanes.  But maybe the guy down below causes the earthquakes....Aloha,Steve

strive4impact's picture
strive4impact
Thread derailed...

This thread derailed fast.

Did like the comment about the printing press speeds causing the issue though.

Bringing it back on point though...

Here's an opinion with lots of factual information attached.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Did-Fracking-Cause-the-Vir-by-Dr-Stuart-Jeanne-B-110823-993.html

According to geologists, it isn’t the fracking itself that is linked to earthquakes, but the re-injection of waste salt water (as much as 3 million gallons per well) deep into rock beds. Braxton County West Virginia (160 miles from Mineral) has experienced a rash of freak earthquakes (eight in 2010) since fracking operations started there several years ago. According to geologists fracking also caused an outbreak of thousands of minor earthquakes in Arkansas (as many as two dozen in a single day). It’s also linked to freak earthquakes in Texas, western New York, Oklahoma and Blackpool, England (which had never recorded an earthquake before).

Arkansas has stopped fracking for now (moratorium) because of concerns over groundwater and earthquakes.

As mentioned above, a UK earthquake was shown to be highly probable to have been caused by fracking.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/06/03/UK-fracking-halted-after-earthquakes/UPI-21541307144514/

A controversial shale gas drilling operation in Britain was halted pending investigation into possible connection with earthquakes in the area, officials said.

An earthquake last week near Blackpool occurred at the same time an energy company was injecting fluids under high pressure deep underground to deliberately blast apart the gas-bearing rock in a process known as "fracking,"

The Netherlands just had an unusual earthquake near the German border.

http://channel6newsonline.com/2011/09/small-earthquake-rattles-the-netherlands-german-border/

A small but unusual earthquake struck the eastern part of the Netherlands on Thursday evening, seismologists and witnesses said, 

Outside of this questionable source, Does anyone know about the fracking going on there in the Netherlands (maybe from Royal Dutch Shell)?

Based on these articles, the fact these earthquakes are so rare, and based on the oil/gas drilling going on in Virginia and Colorado, it's completely conceivable to me that the VA and Colorado earthquakes were caused by fracking, but does anyone have other proof or evidence to help back up (or refute) this thought?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments