Foreign asset declaration

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
gemcap77's picture
gemcap77
Foreign asset declaration

Can you say whether or not a BullionVault , or GlodMoney account holder who is a US Citizen

is required to file Form 90-22.1 with the US Treasury declaring an account with

a foreign financial institution ?

Thinkor's picture
Thinkor
Re: Foreign asset declaration

For what it's worth, my tax accountant told me yes in a very similar situation.
If you don't want anyone to now what you have, better get a safe deposit box.

machinehead's picture
machinehead

Be careful of safe deposit boxes. Banks are agents of the government. If they find out the box holder has died, they will seal it up until the IRS gets a chance to value what's inside.

If you don't want to get victimized by government grave robbers, a coffee can in the back yard might be a better bet. Just be sure to leave a treasure map for your heirs.

npwebb's picture
npwebb
machinehead wrote:

Be careful of safe deposit boxes. Banks are agents of the government. If they find out the box holder has died, they will seal it up until the IRS gets a chance to value what's inside.

If you don't want to get victimized by government grave robbers, a coffee can in the back yard might be a better bet. Just be sure to leave a treasure map for your heirs.

You will want to check with your tax advisor. 

If you are not comfortable with a financial institution, I was recently told that some jewelers also provide safe deposite boxes.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

Or like the US government did in 1933,  declare that no safe deposit box may be opened unless in the presence of an IRS agent, so they could nick the gold therin...............

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments