Foreign and State trade statistics & Geithner visit to China

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
cat233's picture
cat233
Foreign and State trade statistics & Geithner visit to China

I am sure Chris is familiar with this site, but I had never investigated it until this morning.

I read the article below and wondered what the US/China trade deficit is currently.  Ended up on this site... US Census Bureau.

www.census.gov/foreign-trade/www/index.html

All those import and export numbers we always read about... One can find statistics and regulations for Foreign and State trade. How fuzzy they are or are not is another question.  

Trade in Goods (Imports, Exports and Trade Balances) with China.  www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

Link to top US trading partners. www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top0903yr.html

Article from China Daily that led me here in the first place. www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009-05/15/content_7780394.htm

Cat

Currency may take back seat in US talks

By Li Xiaokun and Si Tingting (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-05-15 07:40 

Despite mounting Congressional pressure, US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner might play down the currency issue during his upcoming visit to China as he seeks help to fight the financial crisis, experts said.

Geithner will make his first official visit June 1-2 as the two economic powerhouses prepare for the new China-US Strategic and Economic Dialogue scheduled for this summer in Washington.

The visit comes days after US lawmakers proposed anti-dumping and countervailing duties to retaliate against countries, including China, that allegedly depress the value of their currencies to boost exports.

"The Chinese government has never engaged in so-called manipulation of currency exchange rates to obtain international trade benefits," Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu told a regular news conference yesterday.

Under mounting domestic pressure, many Western media bet Geithner might press China again on the currency issue during his visit.

But he is unlikely to take a tough position, as the US needs China to buy more US treasuries to help bail it out of the recession, said Ding Yifan, deputy director of the Institute of World Development, Development Research Center of the State Council.

The US Treasury may have to issue as much as $3 trillion in new debt in the next couple of years.

"Actually, the appreciation of the renminbi won't do the US any good," Ding said. Many economists believe a stronger yuan would contribute to Chinese deflation and slower growth, which would mean a deeper world recession.

The US trade deficit with China widened to a record $266.3 billion in 2008. 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Re: Foreign and State trade statistics & Geithner visit to ...

cat233 - thanks for this post. 

If Geithner pushes the "so-called manipulation of currency exchange rates" by China, I think he may get a laugh but that's about it.  I think this is a red herring offered for the citizens of the US - an excuse for a trade policy that has ruined much domestic industry while enriching the elite.  And, it builds a perception that the US is an equal when clearly the US is the debtor and China is the creditor.

First, if the US were serious about currency shenanigans, they would look towards Japan.  Our policy makers enabled the Japanese carry trade to go on for many years because it was exploited by the extremely wealthy political contributors.

The other hole in any argument that Geithner might bring forth is that the US has employed quantitative easing, which is nothing more than counterfeiting.  My suspicion is that Geithner will be pushing whatever the outcome of the Bilderberg meeting which ended yesterday.

Larry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments