FOOD RIOTS IN US & EU THIS SPRING

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
changingman's picture
changingman
FOOD RIOTS IN US & EU THIS SPRING

Hi all I came across an article in the EU times about Obama and Sarcozy (French Leader) meeting earlier this month to organise millitary action this spring to combat food riots in Europe and USA. If this is true we all had better be ready because a food crisis on the scale predicted could collapse the financial market and we could find ourselves living in the nightmare senario(s) often discussed on this site.

The link is below and there is loads on 2011 food riots on youtube.

I've just got to pop out for a while to do some shopping!!!!!!!!!!

[link to www.eutimes.net

rhare's picture
rhare
Re: FOOD RIOTS IN US & EU THIS SPRING

Okay, I have to ask - is the eutimes the equivalent of the "World Weekly News" here in the US?  I have a really hard time with the crediblilty of a news source that has 2 UFO stories on their front page and stories about HAARP killing off the birds and causing the weather problems in Austrailia.  While we may be headed for a food crisis, I'm not sure I would trust much from www.eutimes.net.

Tongue out

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

The language in the article was suspect IMHO.

The SVR came upon intelligence that said Britain and U.S. "Agreed in principle" to "create a US-European Military force"?
What? We already have one - it's called NATO.

Agreeing in principle is what we do here every day. We agree in principle that the next twenty years will be different than the last.
I don't think this article has a whole lot of journalistic credibility, however, it does mention points that are of interest and value.

Don't get too worked up about a military plan for food riots. It probably consists of National Guardsmen handing out MREs and making sure the local PDs have plenty of CS for crowd dispersal... plans which have been around for a while...

Cheers,

Aaron

Jager06's picture
Jager06

Isn't  it interesting how the weird crap even has a few nuggets of truth in it?

I am glad folks here are savvy enough to have been stocking up and going to resilient route.

ljhaines's picture
ljhaines

Sounds like the EU Times is like "The Onion" here in the U.S.

What makes these stories fun, scary, or whatever is that they all have nuggets of truth in them. I just forwarded a picture to my family of a pro football player with a human heart in his hand raised over his head with the headline ....

James Harrison Comes Up From Bottom Of Pile With Human Heart

the picture is at http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/james-harrison-comes-up-from-...

No wonder New Orleans lost! How can you want to compete with that!!!

changingman's picture
changingman

I have to agree with all your views on the EU Times credibility, I'm also not sure how reliable they are.

Have any of you found any other similar reports with trusted press in the US?

However there does seem to be some substance to the story and if there was going to be food stortages the governments would not want the public to be fully aware of the situation because it could spark panic. I heard on the radio this morning that The Bristish government have released a report this week highlighting the need for a farming and food revolution to sustain the population. So I think if there isn't food shortages this spring it will happen some time in the near future. Hope not though!! 

changingman's picture
changingman

Hang on! I found another article from another topic on this site. I think it has more accredibility than the EU Times.

Unfortunately I feel this issue is going to be the next big crisis to test us.

Here's the link <http://www.alternet.org/world/149643/steep_oil_prices%2C_food_shortages_will_likely_spark_deadly_riots_this_year>

docmims's picture
docmims

While riots may be possible, I just don't see our narcissistic youth as having the energy to reach the critical mass needed for widespread riots   Maybe a few local riots in the inner cities with lots of tv exposure.    i just forsee a rise in unorganized petty greed based lawlessness.

roncastle's picture
roncastle

If you are not familiar with the works of Lester Brown at EarthPolicy.org you might want to visit his new book (which you can read online in PDF) "World on the Edge" where he discusses his research about the prospect for food shortages.  In a release last week he reiterated the factors relating to a world wide food shortage.  There are many, and only one or two happening concurrently could be enough to set things off.

Read and prosper.

changingman's picture
changingman

Hi Roncastle - Thanks for the Lester Brown tip, I'll check that out.

I've heard a lot of reports on mainstream media over this past week about the need for a food revolution with regards to feeding the rising population of the world. There was talk about some food shortages, rising prices but not riots obviously, however from reading between the lines I think we could all be closer to a major food shortage than we're led to believe. In the financial times UK there was a front page article last week about Asian and Africian countries stock pilling wheat, rice and other grains. Some countries where ordering 4 or 5 times their normal needs which I find a little concerning. This has driven the price of food through the roof and with rising oil prices and poor harvests due to droughts and flood, one would have to ask how much pressure is our food supply under and is it sustainable. I don't think it is sustainable and I think there needs to be more control over population especially in developing countries.

Chris wrote an article last week about inflation being much worst than we're told - I totally agree with him. I've watched inflation rise over this past 18 months but lately (3 months) I think food especially has risen of the scale. I think something big is going to happen this year or next because the human race connot keep abusing and using the earth precious resources in such a wasteful manner for much longer.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
docmims wrote:

While riots may be possible, I just don't see our narcissistic youth as having the energy to reach the critical mass needed for widespread riots   Maybe a few local riots in the inner cities with lots of tv exposure.    i just forsee a rise in unorganized petty greed based lawlessness.

Certainly many of the young people here in America are caught up in the mesmeric hold of Facebook, videogames, etc.  But I personally know a number of 11-25 year-olds who are informed, engaged, and actively Doing Stuff to cope with the challenges we all face as a nation, and they face as they enter adulthood and find the traditional American story arc deeply warped and dysfunctional.  Instead of going to Fort Lauderdale for Spring Break they're volunteering at urban gardening groups.  Instead of a post-college tour through Europe (20 cities in 45 days!) they're going to rural France and WWOOFing for a Summer (http://www.wwoof.org/).  

My wife & I don't have any children, but when it comes up, I tell people what I've just told ya'll, and usually follow it with the phrase "I'd be proud if I had a kid and they grew up to be like [insert name of youngster in question]."

Just as I have largely disentangled myself from the (IMO bogus) Left-Right political fights -- and spend my energies preparing myself and those around me for the coming world -- I also do not work myself up about Zombie Youngsters who cannot be pried loose from their smartphones and portable Nintendo games...and I spend that energy encouraging, teaching and (hopefully) setting an example of A Better Way for the young people with whom I come into (meaningful) contact.  

I get as much out of it as they do, I think.  They get my knowledge and the perspective of age.  I get to enjoy their refreshing excitement and boundless energy.  (I'm not so old that I don't remember those things.  <smile>)

Viva -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments