Following Users?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
AWR's picture
AWR
Following Users?

Curious if there are any plans to allow users to "follow" or "favorite" other users?  These forums are a treasure trove of information and I enjoy reading most of the posts.  However, there are a handful of users who are especially knowledgable and share generously on a particular topic -- for example, gardening, or resource investing, etc.  

Rather than having to stumble upon these users posts in the time consuming task of reading a littany of threads, it would be nice to be able to "follow" or add them to "favorites" or some other similar label so that their posting activity was easy to track.  I think users could get more out of the forum content this way.

Just an idea.  Thanks.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
There's nothing like that

There's nothing like that that I'm aware of, but I know the recommendation has been made before.  If you want to make the recommendation directly to the site staff, click the 'Contact' tab and send a message to them there (they don't always catch every forum thread so they might not see your question here). 

Until then, you can do this in a roundabout way by clicking on a user's name, and then click on the 'Track' tab and you'll see every thread that poster has posted on.  It doesn't focus on their posts specifically, but you can at least see the threads they have posted on.  You could probably narrow it down a little more by then using the Search Box on the upper right hand corner of each page and do searches on the user's name combined with the forum thread's name.

- Nickbert

AWR's picture
AWR
 Thanks Nickbert.  I've

Thanks Nickbert.  I've noticed the "track" tab and the site search features but they're still a little clumsy to use.  I will send a message to the staff.

AWR

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Here is a partial way

AWR

If the person has started a thread you can have email notices sent to you for every post they make anywhere after that.  At the bottom of their original post is a line below the text that says "subscribe".  This line is above the boxes in the bottom border so it is easy to miss it.  Click on "subscribe" and and check the desired box from the drop down menu.  The last check box is for "Post by this author".  Use Nickbert's method to find a thread they have started.

This entire site will be revised over the coming months so a better solution will probably be included.

Travlin 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments