Flu Scare as Dry Run for SHTF?

316 posts / 0 new
Last post
SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Flu Scare as Dry Run for SHTF?

Hey all --

Regardless of how this whole flu thing turns out (pandemic or flash-in-the-pan...demic [grin]), I did an interesting thought experiment this morning as my wife & I did our usual Sunday shopping for the week and I held in my head the idea "okay, I don't get to come shopping for the next two months."  

I found I felt mostly cool with that.  We bought up a little extra of this and that but largely did our normal shop. 

I guess after a couple of months' prep I feel like we're ready enough to weather something that'd keep us at home and interrupt many normal services (such as supermarkets etc.) for at least 2 months.  Which is about 7 weeks longer than I'd have been comfortable with when I first came to CM.com...

How 'bout anyone else?  Feeling comfortable?  Squicked out?  Nervous?  

And bearmarkettrader, you headed to the hospital yet?  

VIVA -- Sager

SPM's picture
SPM
Re: Flu Scare as Dry Run for SHTF?

Here is my take on this supposed Flu pandemic. Be forewarned, this is only my opinion.

Anyone notice how the timing of this Flu pandemic comes right in line when the MSM is filling the airwaves with possible trials on the previous admin? Also about the same time as the End the Fed rallies are gearing up. HMMMM.... I find this interesting. Maybe another diversion? I wonder what bills will be passed through the House and Senate with no attention paid this time? Its just a Flu for crying out loud. I also observed that the main infection rate is among the 25 - 45 y/o. HMMMMM... Also the main age group of the majority of people at the Fed demonstrations and not buying into most BS from this admin. Very interesting.

Do we have a ploy to sell Tamiflu to everyone? Anyone remember the Swine Flu scare of the 70's? I would like to point out that the vaccination they force fed everyone had a higher mortality rate and caused more problems than the flu itself. Also a quarantine would do wonders to stop people from gathering and protesting against the Gov.

I think this is just another scare tactic for a ploy yet unknown. See what develops from it.

I would like to add that I will refuse a vaccination if I am required to take one. I don't care if its a felony or not. I'll just sneeze on them if they find me.

r101958's picture
r101958

SPM....I agree...could be another diversion. Coincides with BK of two of the big three. Would also put a damper on civil unrest...fear of going to public gatherings. Then again...who knows?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
r101958 wrote:

SPM....I agree...could be another diversion. Coincides with BK of two of the big three. Would also put a damper on civil unrest...fear of going to public gatherings. Then again...who knows?

Sure, could be a diversion, but:  the point of the thread is --

If it was a flu-generated SHTF sitch, how would you feel prep-wise if, say on Weds, the Feds ordered lockdown similar to what the Mexican gov has already done.  You ready?  Ready enough?  Not ready?

Just wondering...[smile]

Viva -- Sager

jhelge's picture
jhelge

Yes, it is strange who the virus attacks. Yes, it is EXTREMELY strange timing, since nearly all flus are started in the winter, NOT spring. It has all the trappings of a red herring thrown all over the world by TPTB. That does not necessarily deminish the potency of this (weapons grade?) virus. 

I don't think this scenario is absolutely a dry run. This might be it. This could be one of those exceptional events which people say, "there will be a slow descent of civilization unless..."... Unless this. This could be the spark on the powder keg. A rapid collapse scenario like Kunstlers World Made by Hand.

Am I prepared? I don't think so. I have a store of food and other essentials. I can survive without outside contact for a couple of months comfortably, and indefinately on cattails and tree buds. But my girlfriend/flatmate is a teacher who cannot take off on a whim. Her students are crammed into ghettos, a ticking timebomb of vectors. These are people she breathes air with every day. I really don't know for certain what I will do when this hits my community. Will I abandon her if she refuses to leave? Care for her once she gets sick and risk infection myself? These are sticky questions.

The best preparation I have is my obsession with zombie movies. Many people think they are stupid fiction, but really they are dramatic stories of infection with lessons which are instructive for survival. Avoid other people if this gets bad in your community, except those you trust with your life. If there is any common theme to infection films it's that other uninfected people are much more dangerous than the diseased. Be prepared to leave infected loved ones with one bullet in the chamber if it comes to it. If there is a quarentine, head for the hills and don't plan on things being familiar if/when you return. I am not saying these are ethical decisions, only ones common to the survivors in those stories. Like I said, I am already/still struggling with them myself.

I have a feeling life is about to change very drastically. I would not have guessed this would be the catalyst for TSHFT, but it seems potentially big enough. Right now I am guarded, rechecking my bug-out bag and getting ready to stock up further before the storm is full force. Take care all. God Bless.

rowmat's picture
rowmat

It's simple stupid!

The next 'bubble'?

The great 'Influenza Bubble' of 2009!

The 'Dot Com' bubble followed by the 'Housing Bubble' followed by the great 'Swine Influenza Bubble'.

I'm sure Goldman have already cornered the market for flu vaccines and face masks after being tipped off by Baxter pharmaceuticals who received their orders from the Rockefeller Foundation for Population Control.

Oh yeah and due to health reasons all public gatherings (ie marches and protests over the global financial fraud) are herewith banned.

Afterall what would you prefer, a dose of swine flu or pepper spray and rubber bullets?

becky's picture
becky

Good question Sager!  I hope this turns out to be a fairly non-threatening "dry run", but pandemic scares me more than just about anything.

I did some medical supply shopping yesterday (something I'd intended to do but was putting off because I didn't want to spend the money -- silly me).  Anyway, now that I have masks, gloves, electrolyte replacement fluids, etc, I feel a bit better.  I already had a good supply of food and yes, I do feel way less freaked than if I knew we'd run out of food in a couple of weeks. We could go 2-3 months if necessary.  That would not have been true a year ago.  Plus, I've started the garden and although it's small, at some point we could survive on a few veggies each day.  (Sort of like that scene in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett gnaws on a radish and swears she will never go hungry again.)  We also have made sure we have enough pet food to last a couple of months-- don't want them to start looking at me as a potentially tasty treat.

Two side observations:  First, this current situation seems like a good example of "exponential" and how fast something can move when the pathway is greased. I had not seen anything in the media about this until Friday morning when I saw the link that Dr. Peters posted.  A couple hours later, it was on local news web pages and that night, Bill Maher cracked a (unfunny) joke about it.  Next morning, it was a large-type headline in the local newspaper.   Second observation is that it's kind of ironic that we have so many forms of news communication these days (the 1918 pandemic would not have even had radio news) but it's hard to know who or what to believe.  I really value (once again) this website because the relationships that are being forged here and the trust that has developed could really come in handy as this unfolds.  Word of mouth on this website is something I'll believe a lot longer than anything else I read on the web.

Stay safe everybody,

becky

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

FWIW, I wouldn't bother w/the face masks...they don't screen out viruses.  They're not even much good for bacteria since they fit so poorly.  And Tamiflu?  Heh.  I'll just keep taking my vitamins and eating right.  

Gonna be an interesting week at our Pilates studios.  Wonder how many people will cancel their sessions because they're afraid of flu vector-ation (or because they're keeping their kids home from school).  I've already put hand sanitizer in my bag to take down there (make folks feel like we're being pro-active about the whole thing)....

Viva -- Sager

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
becky wrote:

Good question Sager!  I hope this turns out to be a fairly non-threatening "dry run", but pandemic scares me more than just about anything.

I did some medical supply shopping yesterday (something I'd intended to do but was putting off because I didn't want to spend the money -- silly me).  Anyway, now that I have masks, gloves, electrolyte replacement fluids, etc, I feel a bit better.  I already had a good supply of food and yes, I do feel way less freaked than if I knew we'd run out of food in a couple of weeks. We could go 2-3 months if necessary.  That would not have been true a year ago.  Plus, I've started the garden and although it's small, at some point we could survive on a few veggies each day.  (Sort of like that scene in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett gnaws on a radish and swears she will never go hungry again.)  We also have made sure we have enough pet food to last a couple of months-- don't want them to start looking at me as a potentially tasty treat.

Two side observations:  First, this current situation seems like a good example of "exponential" and how fast something can move when the pathway is greased. I had not seen anything in the media about this until Friday morning when I saw the link that Dr. Peters posted.  A couple hours later, it was on local news web pages and that night, Bill Maher cracked a (unfunny) joke about it.  Next morning, it was a large-type headline in the local newspaper.   Second observation is that it's kind of ironic that we have so many forms of news communication these days (the 1918 pandemic would not have even had radio news) but it's hard to know who or what to believe.  I really value (once again) this website because the relationships that are being forged here and the trust that has developed could really come in handy as this unfolds.  Word of mouth on this website is something I'll believe a lot longer than anything else I read on the web.

Stay safe everybody,

becky

Hey Becky --

Thanks for your detailed response.

Pet food:  that was one of the few things that today at the store I stocked waay up on.  We've been putting food in for ourselves for a SHTF thing for a couple months now, but only a teensy bit for Seamus, our collie mutt.  Today I bought enough wet food (to mix w/his dry) such that the supply will be good for a month plus (and then we'd mix in leftovers from our food if necessary).  Funny -- it was on sale (about 40% off -- nice!).

Veggies:  since it's so early (and so few veggies are up and edible now [asparagus being an exception?]), I'd recommend going to the local health food store and buying one or two containers of "green food" supplement.  You mix it into water.  It's made of algae and various dried greenleaf veggies (like kale/spinach) and in a sitch where greens are not available its a decent if not ideal alternative.

And yes -- I value the info I get from this community more than I do the info from elsewhere.  

Viva -- Sager

becky's picture
becky

I wondered about the effectiveness of face masks (and it will be a sad day when I actually put one on --fear of looking like a dork is strong   )  But, it did help me feel like I had "done something".

becky

becky's picture
becky

Thanks for the tip on "green food",  Sager.  I'll look into it -- if I'm brave enough to go out tomorrow.  Who knows what the headlines will say by then.     I actually have radishes, turnips, and onions already coming in.  I've been joking about how we could survive for a long weekend ... not so funny anymore.  But, I'm glad I bought the extra seed packets.

Hmm... maybe I should buy more ice cream, too.  I was trying to cut out the fattening stuff, but we may be moving into "who gives a rip" territory.  And dark chocolate, too -- at least that's healthy!

becky

ljones0's picture
ljones0

I honestly don't think this business with the flu - we shouldn't be running around and panicking just yet. For example the TV news has reported that some people are only midly ill, not falling like flies. Remember this is the mass media; does anyone recall when the SARS virus was going to be some sort of global pandemic killing millions? Didn't happen -- what did was over-hyping.

ljones

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
ljones0 wrote:

I honestly don't think this business with the flu - we shouldn't be running around and panicking just yet. For example the TV news has reported that some people are only midly ill, not falling like flies. Remember this is the mass media; does anyone recall when the SARS virus was going to be some sort of global pandemic killing millions? Didn't happen -- what did was over-hyping.

ljones

And again -- ljones, without *saying* it's SHTF, but IF -- do you feel comfortable with your level of readiness?  If the gov put out a general quarantine on Wednesday...or if by then there was no food on supermarket shelves....

How do you feel about your readiness?  

I'm just curious about me fellow CM.com folks...

Viva -- Sager

ljones0's picture
ljones0
SagerXX wrote:

And again -- ljones, without *saying* it's SHTF, but IF -- do you feel comfortable with your level of readiness?  If the gov put out a general quarantine on Wednesday...or if by then there was no food on supermarket shelves....

How do you feel about your readiness?  

I'm just curious about me fellow CM.com folks...

Viva -- Sager

Well I guess for me things are slightly different (I'm in the UK). I'm living and working more or less in a small town in the countryside so I'm not gonna be running into thousands of others as people might do in a city.  But really I can't help but think a lot of this is just the media making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak; it's not the first time and it's not the last - for a good example try the coverage of the MMR vacceine in the UK - the press blew up a story by themselves deciding that the MMR vacciene was dangerous, when it wasn't. The Result? Parents don't get their kids vaccinated against MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) and the cases of these diseases all begin to rise. All because of the media.

I just don't feel the need to suddenly stockpile food the second the TV says "disease" or "war" or "economic downturn".

ljones

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

You need N51 face masks, cheap and easily obtainable...before crises. I don't know about now.

The reality is that anything that gets you concerned enuf to go out wearing a mask means you should be staying home, IMHO..not picking up mail in your box, shopping, etc.

JMHO. I read up a lot on pandemics during the last scare.

I'm not paranoid enuf to believe TPTB are initiating this but, as one whose relative got Guillian-Barre from the last vaccine, I would opt to stay home, not get vaccinated.

SG

SPM's picture
SPM

If they put out a quarntine, I could last for a few months on my own. I have enough food and supplies.

I live in a fairly developed area, about an hour north of Los Angeles. I think a priority for me would be to head for the hills, although might not be an option if a quarantine is in effect. Water would be the crucial thing for me. I only have 7 gallons set aside, plus 3 stored in my filter unit. I live in an apartment. Stockpiling certain things is more difficult for me, as is gardening. I do have solar panels, so I would have the ability to generate my own electricity. My assumption though is that if it was only a quarantine, utilities would remain on. Although if everyone is forced to stay home for long periods, I'm not sure how some will be able to pay for them. I guess it would depend on how much people panic and things get out of hand. If this indeed turns into something nasty.

I am ready though for a short stint of stay at home fun. I have duct tape so I can tape my windows and doors. I don't rely much on 'medications' (maybe I should) Lol! I do however have plenty of Vitamin C.

If things truly get nasty, I would prefer to head for the hills if possible. I think my chances of survival would be much higher than staying put in the city. I plan to fill the tank in my car, and an extra 5 gal just in case. I usually keep the car full, but its low right now.  

SPM's picture
SPM

I was looking into a gas mask, but the good ones are expensive. Unless I want to pay $20 for some obsolete 50 y/o foreign military one. I guess the M95 is one of the best. Looking at $100 - $300 for different models though.

SPM's picture
SPM

Ljones, I live in earthquake country. Stockpiling for me is more of a necessity. Although you have to remember to cycle out your canned food, it rotted out the bottom of the cans one time. After the Northridge earthquake was actually when my family started. Its interesting to see a 1500 pound china cabinet slide a foot away from the wall. It took 4 people to move it back, and we lost a couple of our TVs when they fell out of the entertainment centers. Cabinets were a mess, dishes everywhere. Not a fun thing my friend. For me stockpiling is important.

ljones0's picture
ljones0
SPM wrote:

Ljones, I live in earthquake country. Stockpiling for me is more of a necessity. Although you have to remember to cycle out your canned food, it rotted out the bottom of the cans one time. After the Northridge earthquake was actually when my family started. Its interesting to see a 1500 pound china cabinet slide a foot away from the wall. It took 4 people to move it back, and we lost a couple of our TVs when they fell out of the entertainment centers. Cabinets were a mess, dishes everywhere. Not a fun thing my friend. For me stockpiling is important.

Well that's a different thing -- I guess you would have to do something like that if you live in an active earthquake zone, i.e. making sure you are ready for a serious situation. What I'm trying to point out is that we shouldn't all be running around like headless chickens just because the TV says "jump". For the flu, there could be umpteen reasons why people have died, and it dosen't even necciaraly have to be the flu that they've died of.

In fact I think having the words "pandemic" and the mass media talking about this like it was the end of the world or something is just about the wrong thing to do. And why? Now this has happened anyone who has (say) a cold might think they have the "killer flu" and start cluttering up hospitals. Not good. Brilliant, the media's done it again x.x .

I just don't believe implicitly every word the mass media says.

ljones

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Google N51 mask; you don't need a gas mask.

SG

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

My wife, who is a Nurse and has worked in operating theatres, tells me they wear masks in theatres to avert spreading THEIR germs onto the (admittedly opened up) patient.

Her attitude is, if YOU have the flu, you should wear a mask so no one else will (easily) get it, but if you haven't got the flu?  You're wasting your time and money!

Mike

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

The best way to be 'ready', is to be healthy.  The flu rarely kills people.  It's the weakening of the person's system that allows secondary infections to occur that get you.

If you're already weak with the flu, and you catch pneumonia, well then the pneumonia won't have much of a job to finish you off.

So if you smoke, for instance... well I'd be worried.  If you're obese, ditto.  Heart disease?  Good luck!

I know I sound flippant, and an attack from Sam about the delivery of some of my messages is imminent, but you know, some people cannot be saved, and some are actually not even worth saving....  sad I know, but AFAIC, it's the truth of the matter.

There ARE too many people on this planet....

Mike

becky's picture
becky

Like many others who visit this website, I just try to stay at least a couple of steps ahead of those who do believe everything the media says.  Panic can clear the grocery shelves as quick as anything.  So, I'm just glad that I've already been stocking up -- for whatever might happen.  And, being as prepared as I possibly can is keeping me from feeling panicked.  That rustling noise in the bushes might be a saber-tooth tiger or it might be the wind.  But clutching a trusty spear  makes me feel better than if I was empty-handed.

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

True words spoken Becky.

BTW how's your PC looking in the 21st Century BC just wondering with you dodging those smilodons, and carrying that spear <chuckle>

CDC currently isn't sure of the overall infection count in Mexico anyway, they beginning to think (from US infections) that since there are no US deaths as yet, and given the Mexico Rate of Death to infection (currently 6% or so), we should have seen a US death by now, and we haven't. Hell one of those infected in California had an auto-immune disease, so she was probably on an immunity booster, or modulator (depending on whether her AI is a reducer for instance HIV, or going haywire, like Lupus), either way she'd most likely have a depressed immune response (without knowing the immune condition I can't categorically say it's depressed, but it's 95% likely) so I'd expect them to be dead now.

This could turn out to be a storm in a tea-cup if we find out that there's a secondary infection needed, or it's a nutrition issue, or environmental issue. Or even that there are many many more cases than the 1400 or so that there seems to be, and they're only actively testing and treating the worst (those that actually go and get checked out), which would mean that the worst 1400 have a death rate of 6%, but if the total infection count is a million then 61 deaths is not quite as scary it could turn out that there this is no more deadly than normal flu.(1%)

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
becky wrote:

Like many others who visit this website, I just try to stay at least a couple of steps ahead of those who do believe everything the media says.  Panic can clear the grocery shelves as quick as anything.  So, I'm just glad that I've already been stocking up -- for whatever might happen.  And, being as prepared as I possibly can is keeping me from feeling panicked.  That rustling noise in the bushes might be a saber-tooth tiger or it might be the wind.  But clutching a trusty spear  makes me feel better than if I was empty-handed.

Yep.  

My & the wife are far from Uber-Survival Mode ready, but dangit in less than 3 months we've gone from 0 to 60 (mph) on this.  

Like I said in the original post, we could withstand at least a couple-3 months of buckle-down time.  And we don't have a lot of money to spend on this prepwork.

In the world as it's currently constituted, and with what all is going on these days, I don't understand anyone who's heard the message that isn't getting ready.  

Right -- back to prepping for my work week.

Viva -- Sager

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

LOL Sager,

Hope the Wife and my 12 months supplies arrive soon, if this thing hits bad, and as yet there's a lot of yammering that it could, but nothing conclusive, I'd like those supplies . Even if I can't immediately make it to my Hidey-Hole in AK

becky's picture
becky

LOL Gungnir!  My pc is much mightier than my (metaphorical) spear.  And, I must admit that the last time I really heard a rustling in the bushes, I just shrieked like a little girl and ranfor the house.  But, with all the scary headlines these days (North Korea one week, pandemic the next -- feel like making t-shirts that say "Now WHAT?!") I'm just going to have to get braver.  Too many dust bunnies under my bed to hide there for very long.

becky

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

"There ARE too many people on this planet...."

At least one too many, perhaps.

SPM's picture
SPM

I agree with you guys. I mostly started preparing once I stumbled onto this wonderful site.

I was thinking about this earlier today, they could almost throw anything my way and I'm ready to do battle as best I can. When I heard all the noise of the pandemic on this news this morning, I actually felt good. Of course its sad people have died, but I feel like none of this matters as much anymore. We could go MadMax tomorrow and I'm as ready as I can be. At least certainly much more ready than had I not stumbled onto this site.I don't have everything, but I have enough to get me along, and I can aquire whatever I may need down the line.

I am definately glad I found this online community. It has helped me prepare mentally and physically for everything I need. And if nothing happens, then its still gravy, I learned important things along the way.

SPM's picture
SPM

Becky - You should give your "Now What?" T-shirts a try. They might do better than you think. I'd buy one.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Damnthematrix wrote:

The best way to be 'ready', is to be healthy.  The flu rarely kills people.  It's the weakening of the person's system that allows secondary infections to occur that get you.

If you're already weak with the flu, and you catch pneumonia, well then the pneumonia won't have much of a job to finish you off.

So if you smoke, for instance... well I'd be worried.  If you're obese, ditto.  Heart disease?  Good luck!

I know I sound flippant, and an attack from Sam about the delivery of some of my messages is imminent, but you know, some people cannot be saved, and some are actually not even worth saving....  sad I know, but AFAIC, it's the truth of the matter.

There ARE too many people on this planet....

Mike

Mike - you crack me up!   And what you will find even stranger is that I basically agree with your statements.

Besides, I don't attack, regarding delivery of messages, I just "gently" point out the error of your ways. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments