First Crash Course Showing

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
First Crash Course Showing

we just had our first public showing of the crash course in Fayetteville, A r.

we had 25 people show up with just a week and a half of posters and fliers and word of mouth.

Fayetteville is a very progressive town in the ozarks just 40 minutes from walmart world headquarters .

and 10 minutes from tyson world headquarters ( the largest protein prducer on the planet).

i showed part 1 which was chapters 1-12 and 15. this broke down to about half, time wise .

we will watch the rest on thurs. it was very well received. most people that attended have moved here for the community in the area. they are very aware environmentally and are socially progressive. the economic info in the chapters we watched will take them some time to absorb. the bubble chapter really got their attention. i knew it would really tie it all together in terms they could relate to as most are homeowners. 

i wanted to show it in two parts because three hours of this kind of info is a huge amount to get at one time especially the economic aspects. i also wanted to leave time for dialog after.

the dialog was very interesting. there was talk of forming a time bank, creating our own currency, community gardens, ecovillages and generally sharing our resources. one man spoke about the spiritual component to all of thi. he felt it was not just about money.  he was seconded by  a woman who very eloquently described the need for a new paradigm not based on money. i of course brought up the federal reserve and the protests on the 22nd.

it was in a fairly small space and one woman suggested a lrger venue for thurs as she wanted to bring some friends.

we will have it in the same place as i am sure there will be some attrition, and some folks will not be alble to make it thurs but remain very interested. out of 25 16 signed up to stay informed and to network on ideas.

i am expecting exponential growth in interest and will probably schedule another showong in jan or feb.

i plan on starting a dialog group either once a week or every two weeks. in my community work i have found dialog to be indispensable.

all in all i was very encouraged with the turn out and the response...................let the games begin

thanks chris  for all your work it was appreciated here in arkansas.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: First Crash Course Showing

ps we had an even split of men and women 13 men and 13 women

i found that encouraging as it seems most of the posts on this site are from males

it was great to hear the feminine expressed as it was less confrontational..........less need to be right and solution focused

you go girls.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

I am just promoting our first showing for Saturday 6 December.  It's coming out in a Newsletter to be distributed next Thursday, so I obviously have no idea of the demand for such a workshop.  I'll keep you posted on how we go.

Mike in Australia 

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Nice going Joe

Sounds like it was very successful. Did you need to do any instruction while you were showing the CC, or did you just let it go? I am interested in seeing if it's better to just let it go and do a Q&A, while letting people take notes, etc. Or if it would be better to do it in a presentation style method, answering questions after breaks in the presentation.

I think a lot of people are going to need to do a bit of interaction and education depending on where they are. It may be a good idea to have some companion notes, or an instructor guideline. Also it may be good to have a dedicated thread for questions people are asking so we can keep track of them to insure we have the right answers, or no answer if one does not exist yet.

Good for you, Joe!
Nice work!

NLP's picture
NLP

Congrats Joe!  I have questions if you don't mind...

1. Was your set-up seminar style in a civic room or someone's home?
  2. How much detail did your flyer include?  What was your hook?
  3. Dialog, dialog, dialog!  You shared how important this is previously.  Question:  In your group was the dialog timid at first?  I am finding people are SO SCARED (?) to express anything.

I just held a prelim meeting of sorts this last week as well.  I am taking a different approach.  I haven't unveiled the Crash Course yet but laying the foundation for the trouble we find ourselves in and the impact it will have.  We have a group committed to time banking and how to begin; we have a meeting scheduled this Tuesday with the local bank to discuss common currency, and the group favorite was the community garden.  That project will take off very quickly. 

My delay in unveiling the Crash Course is to build the argument in steps first-- sort of slowly rubbing the sleep from the eyes so the view can be appreciated. Although I am in California it does not mean where I live is all that progressive--- hell the voters in this state just outlawed same sex marriage. 

Please keep us updated as your efforts continue.

BTW found a copy of Discourses and gave it to my husband as an early birthday gift.  We BOTH thank you for your generous sharing.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

hey man thanks

what i found was that people come with  a fairly low level of knowledge. i have a slightly higher level of knowledge. i got it not only from reading this stuff for over forty years ( environment and energy but not economics) but i got it and still get it from this and other sites on the net. i have read most of the books chris recommends and then some.

watching the crash course in the company of others was really eye opening. many people are totally unaware of what is happening or how we got here. i gained a greater appreciation of the job chris has done in simplifyjng the material and presenting it in a way that kept people engaged. one comment was " when i walked in (came in late) i thought is was walking into an economics class and wasn't into it, but then i got engaged"  i realized after watching it as part one with a group that the first part is really very heavily into economics. some people had a little problem with that. they were more interested in the spiritual side of life. (did i mention most are progressives who voted for obama) 

one question i got was "so this debt is obviously not something that is ever going to be paid off so what difference does it make?" i found that an interesting question to say the least. as chris states in the cc there are two options you either default or inflate. i tried to explain that in greater detail but just the question  told me that a one time sitting watching half the cc is a huge leap for most folks. how do i even begin to explain the ramifications of telling china "oh by the way those trillions of greebacks you are holding.......well instead of burning coal just burn the paper".

so the problem is having a limited time to answer a bunch of questions after people have been sitting for an hour and a half .

i encouraged everyone to go to the site for more info. i also said i was available to discuss this at anytime.  i really wanted to take the "temperature " to see where everyone was and to learn as much as i could from them. i clearly told them i was an info serf and did not have answers and i encouraged the group to share what they knew.

quite a few were into ok what do we do. which are the folks i am most interested right now.  i am very pragmatically oriented. so i am more into those who get it fairly quickly.

there are a lot of folks who are interested in community and starting intentional living situations that have no resources and or no experience in that kind of project. 

so i found myself as an info serf passing on as much info as i could and answering questions and looking for solutions and strategies that i could get behind. the cc is really very dense but as chris states peak oil alone deserves its own cc.it covers a very broad lanscape in a very short time. 

my feeling is the cc is a great intro designed to get people thinking and hopefully inspiring a search for more info.

i realized i had gotten this over a period of years and only recently ( last two years ) really looked at the economic aspects and to really grok this will take people a lot of time.i even thought breaking it up into three or four parts might work better, after all it took me 5 months to work thru the cc

i will keep you posted.

rlee's picture
rlee

I too would like to extend 'Congrats' to you Joe!  It seems that what we've all been discussing here is true though, that most folks really are unaware of what's going on.  They feel the pinch, but just can't see what the true causes are.  This is exactly what we need more of.  I've been pushing people to the website, but I'd love to put something together like what you've done - Kudos again!!!

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Fantastic job, Joe! It's great to see the community coming together and spreading the word!

I attended the Green Festival in San Francisco, and printed up a bunch of messages on standard Avery business card stock:

I felt silly printing up 250 of these, knowing I would never use them all, but figuring I could aways give them out some other day. I ran out within 2 hours! To my surprise and delight, most people stopped and seemed sincerely interested in hearing the message. I expected a big "don't sell me stuff dude" push-back, but most everyone I spoke to welcomed the information.

The grassroots movement is really starting to take off!

Erik

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
npeykani wrote:

BTW found a copy of Discourses and gave it to my husband as an early birthday gift.  We BOTH thank you for your generous sharing.

My quick review of the reader reviews of this book on Amazon...and it went into the shopping cart.  Thanks Joe and npeykani!

Joe,

Fantastic forum you've developed here.  I've been encouraging many people to watch the Crash Course...but leading a horse to water and getting them to drink are completely different things...so when I follow up most of the time people haven't looked at the material.  Holding a public showing might just be the ticket. 

I'm trying to find holistic solutions for the Framework for Action and the book I'm reading right now has a lot of the keys to this:  You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed In a Farming Enterprise by Joel Salatin.  Ironically, the author thinks that buying land is a bad way of starting to farm!  This means that all of us can become farmers... wherever we live.  And since a lot of us are concerned about food security...this provides a lot of comfort.

[As always when ordering books from Amazon, please use the link to Amazon in the Learn/Essential Books section of Chris' site so that Chris gets paid.]

Erik,

I love the cards.  Handing these out at the local Farmer's Market might be another way of getting the message out to a receptive audience.  I can't imagine another way of having more fun either since it stimulated conversation in your case.  Perhaps I could combine this with a way of promoting my own screening of the material...

All the best,

James

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

thank you james

my experience was the same you can tell all the people in the world about

the cc but they just dont take th etime to get into it. i am encouraged by the response 

and look forward to the nuts and bolts work.

as for discourses i have been reading it for almost 40 years it is my bible.

the very first discourse on the new humanity is my favorite and informs my entire life.

if you wish to get more info you can go to www.avatarmeherbaba.org there is a wealth of info 

and many books you can read online. there is an almost 7000 page biography which really 

is just a thumbnail sketch. dont know where you live but if you want to or need to go to a spiritual retreat

you can go to the meher spiritual center in myrtle beach so. carolina. it is 500 acres of pristine virgin

forest with about a mile fo beach front. it is a remarkable place and i think is the oldest spiritual retreat center in the u.s.

there is no proselytizing no money sucking ...........just an amazing refuge from the world.

if you would like more info just email me at [email protected] .com

i have done a great deal of community work (gee maybe i could be president)

and the best tool i have found is DIALOG. it is absolutely magic. there is a wonderful book

by bill issac called dialog. he developed it based on the work of david bohm. imho it is indispensable

to any community.

thanks again james and good luck with a showing.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

hey mike

i have a lot of friends in oz

where are you? i can get you in touch with them if you are close by.

most are near brisbane. but i know some in melbourne as well.

jcarter's picture
jcarter

Thanks for posting that "card". I have added it to my web site to advertise this course.

http://www.jrcarter.com

fujisan's picture
fujisan
joe2baba wrote:

i am expecting exponential growth in interest and will probably schedule another showong in jan or feb.

Hey, the generation of anti-bankster is born ;-)

straight's picture
straight

Hi all,

My experience in telling others of the CC is mixed.  Most ignore the message.  i think they have too much committed to the status quo.  They think that there is something in the present system for them.  I believe they have lost the ability to think for themselves, even more than that they dont seem to trust themselves.

On the other hand my sister has changed her life and sold the farm and committed 10% of her wealth to gold and is sitting on cash waiting to see what happens.

My brother works in the airline industry and is fighting what i am saying tooth and nail.  He refuses to watch the CC.  Its a funny world.

Could/Would you guys sell DVD's at the showings?  I would have thought that most people that watch the presentation would spend $5 or even $10 on the dvd to show friends. What do you think?

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
straight wrote:

i think they have too much committed to the status quo.  They think that there is something in the present system for them.  I believe they have lost the ability to think for themselves, even more than that they don't seem to trust themselves.

I think this is an important observation. It points to what a lot of extreme anti-government types say repeatedly, but that I don't always agree with (though here I do), that people actually want to be slaves. Now I'm not saying that people want to be living in leaky hovels, performing manual labor 15 hours a day, but they clearly don't want to be masters of their own intellectual destiny. True freedom, true liberty, true choice clearly only reside outside of our current structure.

People like the illusion of being free and having choices and pursuing liberty, but it's only within a greater framework of control and non-freedom, non-choice. The shell, the system is always there telling them exactly how to act and (more importantly) how to think and what conclusions to arrive at.

Precisely because people are not free and not independent is why they must uphold the status quo because it, after all, upholds them.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

We had our first 'public' showing of the Crash Course....  the first in Australia..?

It was of course an experiment.  I hired a digital projector, rearranged every comfortable chair we have in the house into a cinema, moved my PC from the office, and arranged for copious amounts of tea and coffee to flow...

12 people booked, full house as far as I'm concerned..  I charged them $10 each (though a couple didn't pay...) which included a free copy of the CC on a CD and all the drinks and biscuits/cake/dips they could consume....

One old guy who was 80 said it was the best $10 he'd ever spent.  When I work out what profits I've made I'll send some to Chris...

I ran the entire thing in one hit, with two breaks.  No one fell asleep except for this American guy (whom I'd never met before with the amazing name of Jim Wonders!) who claimed to have a business trading in currencies....  and all the answers.  I somehow don't think he 'got it', too much snoozing.

Everyone else was google eyed.  Some who had said they couldn't stay to the end because they had other prior arrangements... stayed anyway! 

The feedback was that it was best to do it in one hit for the sake of continuity.  With all the breaks and discussions we went for five hours..... and they all said they'd recommend it if I ran it again.  So I think it was successful. 

Even though I'd seen the entire thing at least twice before, I found myself picking up on things I'd missed... 

Mike. 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

You go, Mike!  That's grreat to hear you got the kind of response you did!

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

We just had our second showing today, ten people this time.  Again they were blown away, and wouldn't dream of stopping mid way.  As long as it takes, I'm convinced a single strtetch showing is the way to go, with bottomeless cups of coffee...

But get this....  at the end of Chapter 20 (where CM asks for donations), they all clapped!  Brought a smile to the dial!  I used some of the profits from last time to buy decent speakers, last month's showing had pretty dismal sound quality...

Mike 

Crash's picture
Crash

Hey guys,

can I just say say a super well done to you. I am building up to a showing. My first step was to email the core group of my LETScheme and sugest we have the CC linked from our website. I hope to have other links too like money as Debt, LETS vids and story of stuff.

I am waiting for the PAL version to buy off the website, or find someone who can copy it.

good work people!!

Crash 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Hey Crash

Are you in Australia by any chance?  If so, email me offlist (click on the email button in the LHS task bar under my avatar..)

Mike 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments