fireworks courtesy of N. Korea?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
fireworks courtesy of N. Korea?

Well, you've heard the news.  North Korea has announced that it will likely launch a missle in the direction of U.S. territory, specifically Kauai, around July 4th according to a Japanese newspaper.  Probably doesn't have the range, but I hope it doesn't hit the new bridge our citizens built in the state park when the state gov't couldn't get their sh*t together to do it....Maybe get to see if all our tax $$ have produced anything useful down at Pacific Missle Range Facility.  I hear they deployed the THAAD units there in the last few days.  Maybe we'll have some grand Fourth of July fireworks.  I'll try to get pictures!  Oh, yeah- wish us well.....Aloha, Steve.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
Re: fireworks courtesy of N. Korea?

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Re: fireworks courtesy of N. Korea?

thatchmo,

Though I do think North Korea's actions are a big concern as far as being excessively confrontational, I wouldn't be too alarmed by the missile in particular.  If I remember correctly it was Japanese sources as saying they suspected it would go in the direction of Hawaii, and not a direct statement from North Korea (who I think just stated they'd launch another missile but didn't mention a specific direction).  One thing to think about is that any long-range test launch North Korea makes is likely going eastward, and if they are trying for another space launch it's possible that its trajectory would pass near Hawaii.  So this is really not anything new compared to any other long-range test launches they've done.  And to boot, they haven't actually had any fully successful launches of this type to date.  Though I can't help but be a little suspicious of the emphasis the news is placing on the Hawaii possibility as compared to past launch attempts by North Korea.  Perhaps there are some particular Japanese or US political interests in emphasizing this now?

- Nickbert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments