Financial turmoil and heart attacks?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
peter31's picture
peter31
Financial turmoil and heart attacks?

Here's an interesting take on the current financial situation.

A  57 year old man comes into my office today for followup of a heart attack for which he was recently hospitalized.  Among other things, he wants me to prescribe a sedative for him, because he does his own stock trading, he gets very anxious when he sees his money going down the toilet, and he is worried that the stress might bring on another heart attack.

I'm paid to give medical advice, not financial advice, but I thought it was reasonable to suggest that at this time, he might want to get out of stocks and into precious metals.  Or into anything other than stocks.  And do it, like, right now.  This afternoon.

His answer was that he has to keep playing the stock market , because he doesn't work, he doesn't have much money saved, and playing the stock market is the only way he can give himself and his wife an income to live on.

It makes you realise how close to the edge some people live.  I hope I don't see him back in my office again next week with another heart attack.

Peter

www.postpeakmedicine.com 

ao's picture
ao
peter31 wrote: Here's an
peter31 wrote:

Here's an interesting take on the current financial situation.

A  57 year old man comes into my office today for followup of a heart attack for which he was recently hospitalized.  Among other things, he wants me to prescribe a sedative for him, because he does his own stock trading, he gets very anxious when he sees his money going down the toilet, and he is worried that the stress might bring on another heart attack.

I'm paid to give medical advice, not financial advice, but I thought it was reasonable to suggest that at this time, he might want to get out of stocks and into precious metals.  Or into anything other than stocks.  And do it, like, right now.  This afternoon.

His answer was that he has to keep playing the stock market , because he doesn't work, he doesn't have much money saved, and playing the stock market is the only way he can give himself and his wife an income to live on.

It makes you realise how close to the edge some people live.  I hope I don't see him back in my office again next week with another heart attack.

Peter

www.postpeakmedicine.com 

It always amazes me how some people choose these collision courses with disaster.  He wants a sedative to block the anxiety that his intelligent body is purposely and wisely creating because he's participating in an overly risky activity rather than (1) working on down-regulating his anxiety through meditation, diaphragmatic breathing, relaxation techniques, etc. (2) eating a healthier diet and taking appropriate supplementation, (3) exercising, and (4) looking for a less risky line of work to generate income. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments