A Few Basic QEII Questions

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
A Few Basic QEII Questions

I know QEII is the buzz and everyone is saying it’s bad and will lead to inflation.  However, I have a couple of basic questions:

1) If “everyone knows” it’s bad, leads to inflation and will destroy the dollar, then why is the Fed doing it?  I’m not sure but I think the answers are:
      - They want to make the trade deficit more favorable for the US.  I’m not sure why they would want this short-term fix.  Surly they know all the other countries will inflate their currencies to follow the US.  Maybe the relative head start will keep us ahead.
      - It’s an attempt to give the economy more money as a short term stimulus so that it will get businesses and jobs going again.
      -  The Fed doesn’t have a choice so they do it even though they know it’s bad.  (Not sure why they wouldn’t have a choice, maybe if they didn’t the dollar would crash too fast.)

2) I don’t understand why QEII will bring so much inflation to the dollar.  Because of defaults on debts (homes, etc.), shouldn’t we have a loss in the amount of dollars in the system?  I would think that $600 billion from QEII would be small compared to the amount of money that’s been destroyed due to defaulted debt.

I realize the economy is complex and there are no easy answers but PLEASE keep your answers simple and not technical.  (I’m good in science but not economics.) AND, I don’t want to start an inflation/deflation debate.  In my second question I’m looking at the amount on both sides and wonder why the smaller side (putting more dollars into the system) is more of a concern than taking dollars out of the system.

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Re: A Few Basic QEII Questions

I'm not technical in economics either, but my take is

1.  While the official announcement is the Fed is targeting a certain level of inflation, the Fed may be positioning itself to monetize deficit spending now or in the future, to avoid a failed treasury auction or rising interest rates.

2.  Inflation could be significant if driven by a loss of faith in the currency, irrespective of money supply. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments