Feedback Loop Request

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Davos's picture
Davos
Feedback Loop Request

After getting 70 thousand reads on an article I decided to do a book. I'm looking for a literary agent.

I'm seeking feedback on the cover as well as the general thrust of the work.

In advance - thanks.

PS Not putting morons somewhere in the title was tough!

A stereogram is comprised of two pictures, the top image hides the bottom one. Stare long enough and the veil is lifted, the hidden scene exposed.

The cover of America’s Economic Stereogram is itself, an unveiled stereogram.
The image immediately depicts the essence of this work. The almost transparent top picture is a reflection of our modern day economic mantra: Recession and recovery. That widely held belief is peeled back, putting the the bottom image in sharp focus and presenting the subtitle of this book - Unveiling The Second Great Depression.

That defines our current economic arena. 99% of the world believes we are in a recession and recovery is coming. The top picture is fading, the bottom picture will soon be apparent.

Clarence Darrow said: “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change”. The Second Great Depression will dwarf the Great Depression of the 1930s. This book will afford millions of readers a shot at economic survival.

We are literally talking economic life and death here.

Readers of this work will be able to prepare themselves for what will go down as history’s worst economic hurricane.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Re: Feedback Loop Request

What's the text in the quote box from, Davos? Is it your promo blurb?

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Davos,

I say write the book first and then worry about the title and cover.  Besides, from what I understand about the publishing world, the publisher decides on the cover either mostly or entirely, and if they don't like the title, they'll ask you to change that too.

FB

Jager06's picture
Jager06

A measley 70K reads eh? Jeesh.

I can pull a crowd of four to the dinner table. At dinner time.

Can I have a signed copy when its finished for being so insolent?

Davos's picture
Davos
mainecooncat wrote:

What's the text in the quote box from, Davos? Is it your promo blurb?

Beginning of the query letter.

Davos's picture
Davos
Farmer Brown wrote:

Davos,

I say write the book first and then worry about the title and cover.  Besides, from what I understand about the publishing world, the publisher decides on the cover either mostly or entirely, and if they don't like the title, they'll ask you to change that too.

FB

The magazine articles I sold I did a query first - saved me writing for nothing. The ones I did without a query got shot down, as did the year long fiction manuscript. So short of a few sample chapters a query and an outline that is my commitment until I get one.

I figured the best way to sell something is to describe it well. A FB friend said the title stinks - no one knows what a stereogram is. Going to change that. But I figured a picture is worth a thousand words, sure they will change it I just want to off it first. I've always been big on packaging, whether it was real estate or anything else. 

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Hey, you could always go with "The Book of Morons and Other Parables" 

Slap a picture of a dozen or so of almost any recognizable politicians on the front all tossing dollar bills in a toilet bowl, and you're all set!

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Farmer Brown wrote:

Hey, you could always go with "The Book of Morons and Other Parables" 

Slap a picture of a dozen or so of almost any recognizable politicians on the front all tossing dollar bills in a toilet bowl, and you're all set!

.......perhaps flushing Uncle Sam down the toilet bowl.

Tall's picture
Tall

Better write fast or you will be marketing a historical work.

scbissler's picture
scbissler

Good luck Davos, and loved seeing your article on lewrockwell.com.

Davos's picture
Davos
scbissler wrote:

Good luck Davos, and loved seeing your article on lewrockwell.com.

Thanks, me too, I'm thankful and grateful to FSN for allowing that to be reprinted in it's entirety! 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

I love the concept of an economic stereogram as you've described it, Davos. But I wonder if morons like me, who don't know what "stereogram" means when we read the title, will instantly dismiss the book.  I almost think a title that they understand, or that that means something or rings a chord with them at the outset, might hook them better.  Then, once hooked, you could introduce them to the concept.  Just my off-the-cuff opinion!

Ok, never-mind!  I just went back and checked out your cover and the blurb that goes with it, and they describe the concept up front.  I think, if you really make that clear, it will work, and will even snag the attention of  those who "suspect things aren't right" but can't see through the 1st veil.

Go for it Davos!  You have a knack for writing and communicating your message clearly (and entertainingly).  I think you could grab an audience.

-pinecarr

PS I want to queue up for the autigraphed copy!:)

Travlin's picture
Travlin

pinecarr wrote:

... snag the attention of  those who "suspect things aren't right" but can't see through the 1st veil. 

Pinecarr just unwittingly supplied a good title idea.  Piercing The Veil

It means the same but reeks of sex!

Travlin 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

PS Not putting morons somewhere in the title was tough!

How DID you do it.....?

Good luck mate, I'm looking forward to this one!

Mike

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Too funny, Travlin!  Trouble is, they may be disappointed that it is "only" a book on the economy after that! 

machinehead's picture
machinehead

'Hologram' may not be as technically accurate as 'stereogram,' but people know the term and are intrigued by its high tech / laser / virtual reality connotations.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

Davos, If you actually want to make money on the venture, you should think of self publishing or using a print-on- demand publisher. That method  solves the storage problem. 90% of the books you see in book stores don't make one thin dime for the writer, and not much for the publisher either. It's a cumbersome, antiquated way of doing business.

idoctor's picture
idoctor

"Unveiling the US Dollar" starring Uncle Buck swirling in a dirty toilet.

Davos this guy is always full of good ideas LOL.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments