Feds go after Gibson Guitars

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Feds go after Gibson Guitars

What the heck?!

http://rt.com/usa/news/gibson-guitar-raid-wood-489/

The Gibson Guitar Corp is finding itself stuck between a rock and a hard place after federal agents raided their Tennessee plant last week for what the instrument makers say is just governmental bullying.

Gibson plants in both Nashville and Memphis were raided by the federal government last week, though Gibson Guitars believes that they are in the right. Agents attest, however, that materials used by the manufacturer of such iconic instruments as the Les Paul and SG break international laws.

“The Federal Department of Justice in Washington DC has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of US law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India,” says Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz in a statement. The legislation in place suggests that if the wood from one tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal, but by completing the process in their Tennessee plant, Gibson is breaking the law. This interpretation comes from federal agents, however, and Gibson notes that last week’s raid took action “without the support and consent of the government in India.”

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Good luck....

trying to get my son's Les Paul Signature axe.

But this is why I'm glad I have a Martin.

maceves's picture
maceves
stupid

That is beyond dumb.  They can't finish the wood in the U.S, for their own guitars?

I suppose they need a new supplier, as in not Indian.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
indian

rosewood, brazilian rosewood...rosewood by anyother name...it ain't the same.

We're martin folk,The Robinsons (however, a '61reissue Gibson SG,same as Derek Trucks,is my sons axe)

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Oooooooooooo....
robie robinson wrote:

rosewood, brazilian rosewood...rosewood by anyother name...it ain't the same.

We're martin folk,The Robinsons (however, a '61reissue Gibson SG,same as Derek Trucks,is my sons axe)

Is the '61 reissue the cherry flamed maple?  I've had my eye on the tricolor suburst '59 reissue like Sky Dawg Allman used to play, but there are things I need to spend $8500 on before an electric guitar I want.

But isn't that HD-28V a banjo killer?

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
But alas...

... this is the axe played by a maestro 

Derek Trucks, nephew to Butch of the TAB fame. of course he played with Skydog,God rest his soul.

Our family plays music. All of us play piano and  or keyboards with Hammonds thru a Leslie being my personal favorite. B3's

Rbie

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments