Family Farmers Worse Off Despite High Prices

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saffron's picture
Saffron

Full Moon asked if I would post this for everyone to watch and pray for.

Apparently she can send and receive pms ... though they don't always come through. Moderator Jason has assured me that her account is active, so the problem seems to be at her end.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&I...

Sorry ... I've seen posts where it tells how to imbed the video but I can't find those now.

~ Saffron

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
thank you , Saffron .
Saffron wrote:

Full Moon asked if I would post this for everyone to watch and pray for.

Apparently she can send and receive pms ... though they don't always come through. Moderator Jason has assured me that her account is active, so the problem seems to be at her end.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&I...

Sorry ... I've seen posts where it tells how to imbed the video but I can't find those now.

~ Saffron

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Nate's picture
Nate
Although I do not have a

Although I do not have a wide swath of farmers I deal with daily, the ones I do know are doing extremely well.  The common denominator is that they survived through many low price periods and adopted.  These are the the individuals that I now bid against - except their bids are 100%cash.  They are not large by any stretch (80 to 200 acres), but extremely shrewd.  The gentleman that farms behind me (110 acres)  said his input costs went up and he found enough animal manures to circumvent chemical fertilizers and remains very profitable.  The indivduals that farm our property do the same.

I don't want to come across as harsh or uncaring (I personally know of no family farmers in trouble), but the "Family Farmers Worse off Despite High Prices" may not broadly represent what is really happening.

Nate

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
sustainable farming vs. oil-use farming

From what I hear farmers here in SC that use sustainable methods are making nice profits, but those who need oil-required "modern" farm methods are feeling the pain of peak oil. Maybe they use a tractor, but instead of oil-rquired fertilier our preferred method of enriching the soil seems to be crop rotation. Plant legumes and then, once the soil enriching crop is harvested, plant things that deplete the soil.

For what it is worth, my husband says he has never seen so much land in this area under tillage. Last autumn it was all soy beans, with a little corn and tobacco. This spring it is mostly corn and white wheat, but the soy will no doubt go in as a second crop after the wheat (already mature) and corn (give it a month, tops) get harvested.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments