Expert: Expect Israel to Attack Iran

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Well this doesn’t sound good: In an upcoming article, national correspondent for The Atlantic Jeffrey Goldberg argues that the odds of a unilateral strike by Israel on Iran are greater than 50-50 in the next year. Goldberg bases his estimate on dozens of conversations with senior members of Israel’s national security team and members of the Obama administration. Goldberg writes, “[O]ne day next spring, the Israeli national-security adviser, Uzi Arad, and the Israeli Defense Minister, Ehud Barak, will simultaneously telephone their counterparts at the White House and the Pentagon, to inform them that their Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has just ordered roughly 100 F-15es, F-16is, F-16cs, and other aircraft of the Israeli Air Force to fly east toward Iran—possibly by crossing Saudi Arabia, possibly by threading the border between Syria and Turkey, and possibly by traveling directly through Iraq's airspace, though it is crowded with American aircraft.”

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Re: Expert: Expect Israel to Attack Iran

I keep hoping that it won't happen but I'm not optimistic. Last year Rick Steves did a travel show on Iran (its on google video) since he figured he should show Americans what the people were like before they were bombed out of existence. As if the people have any input into the war machine when millions across the world demonstrating against the upcoming Iraq war had no effect.

I believe that if we get past the November 2010 elections then the likelihood of an attack will fall. I'm sure Israel also sees this as their window of opportunity.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

If Israel attacks Iran, it will simultaneously be financially attacking the United States as we can't afford the added military costs (we fund most of their military and our military would be needed to do the heavy lifting) or the skyrocketing oil prices.

The U.S. is hopelessly in brutal debt that is sucking the life out of our economy.  An unnecessary attack on Iran might be the tipping point to bankruptcy or WW3.

If Israel is not content with Iranian compliance with the IAEA they should first comply themselves.  They refuse to allow any inspections on their turf and unlike other nations, they refuse to be a party to international nuclear treaties because they officially deny they have any while winking towards the obvious fact that they have hundreds of nukes.

Larry

ao's picture
ao

Johnny O,

Thanks for the interesting article.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
ao wrote:

Johnny O,

Your welcome.

I think the upcoming knock-down-drag-out in the middle east will be THE biggest impact on the 3 E's

ao's picture
ao
Johnny Oxygen wrote:
ao wrote:

Johnny O,

Your welcome.

I think the upcoming knock-down-drag-out in the middle east will be THE biggest impact on the 3 E's

I agree.  What particularly concerns me about this situation is that if America winds up getting involved on 3 fronts, the stage will be set for the Chinese to move more definitively on the Taiwan issue.  I've mentioned this subject on this forum before and it's largely been poo-pooed but the Chinese have so much as said that some action will be taken by 2015 to resolve this issue once and for all.  Undoubtedly, the next 5 years will be hot and heavy. 

V's picture
V
DrKrbyLuv wrote:

If Israel attacks Iran, it will simultaneously be financially attacking the United States as we can't afford the added military costs (we fund most of their military and our military would be needed to do the heavy lifting) or the skyrocketing oil prices.

The U.S. is hopelessly in brutal debt that is sucking the life out of our economy.  An unnecessary attack on Iran might be the tipping point to bankruptcy or WW3.

If Israel is not content with Iranian compliance with the IAEA they should first comply themselves.  They refuse to allow any inspections on their turf and unlike other nations, they refuse to be a party to international nuclear treaties because they officially deny they have any while winking towards the obvious fact that they have hundreds of nukes.

Larry

Larry this is a game of tic tac toe. None of this has anything to do with nukes. Hell Pakistan has had nukes for years. If the Islamo Fascists that are funded  by our CIA wanted nukes they could have had them a long time ago.

A quick look at a map will show you why we are going to take Iran. OIL. We will control the oil and the Straits of Hormuz. ZB laid this out a long time ago. Follow the money and you will find oil. As for the debt read my signature. THey have been bankrupting countries for years the only question is do they make more money off the debt or the wars?

V

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

the stage will be set for the Chinese to move more definitively on the Taiwan issue.

Yep. I'm kind of surprised they haven't done it yet. Neither the US or the UK would do anything but posture, they can't afford it. God forbid if any large oil reserves were ever found in Taiwan or off its shores.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments