Is evolution itself an exponential function; where we are measuring consciousness change?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous
Is evolution itself an exponential function; where we are measuring consciousness change?

Chris, 

The changes that you forecast may just be part of a bigger exponential function - one of evolution itself. This is where evolution is just an exponential function of consciousness change.

The Carl Calleman/Ian Lungold model says exactly this

Watch these 2 videos from Ian Lungold

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8689261981090121097

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-567329528148516232

Read.

"The Transformation of Consciousness" by Dr Carl Calleman.

I have been "joining up the dots" for the last 2 years. I started in economics (Fred Harrisson, Kondratieff, Robert Prechter, Martin Armstrong, Elliott waves) and rapidly moved into other areas of philosophy, quantum mechanics, gold, ancient civilisations etc

Oswald Spengler wrote the "Deline of the West" when gold hit a 600 year real low in 1918. Now gold is signalling a new era.

john50's picture
john50
Evolution theory is a debunked Myth

Evolution has never been proven, and is still wanting for a single example of a life form developing into a more complex organiism with new genetics.

The dark side of Evolution is ethnic cleansing and elimination of races considered inferior in Nazi fashion. 

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: Evolution theory is a debunked Myth

i would suggest you read the dominant animal by paul and ann erhlich.

theories are just that, theories. theory--"a formulation of aparent relationships or underlying principles of certain observable phenomena which has been verified to some degree" . they become laws when they are proven .

relativity is  a theory  quantum physics is a theory. gravity is a law

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey

Theories are never "proven", they can only be disproven.  We have no better explaination that I am aware of for how complexity forms in natural systems. Indeed, how do you explain the process by which viruses and bacteria become immune to antibiotics?  How do you explain that we share over 99% of our DNA with the great apes, and well over 90% with most (if not all) mammals?  We have no direct observation of new species forming because of the time scale involved - in geologic time humans have only been here for the blink of an eye.

I can not disagree that evolution may have been used as a reason behind efforts at ethnic cleansing and other evil acts, however I do not see how it can be said that evolution is evil for this reason.

All the best.

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey
Correction, perhaps, based on joe2baba's post below.  Hypotheses are never proven.  Theories are as he describes.
jrf29's picture
jrf29

I agree. It's nice to meet a fellow man of intelligence.  I know that my Lord is standing on high, and He periodically becomes bored with the world as it is, and waves His hand and Miraculously causes new animals to appear---presto---upon the surface of the Earth and others to disappear.

Some would say that if God were perfect, he would design a world which once set in motion would be capable of proceeding without interference, according to perfect natural laws, rather than a world which must be continuously tinkered with to keep it running, like the product of a bad clock-maker.  But that's claptrap.

By the way, the fossils were placed into the earth by Divine Providence merely to test the strength of our faith.  Do not be tempted by Godless theories to speculate on how they may have gotten there, or why they would appear to show a steady progression of form, becoming more and more similar to modern animals as one proceeds to the upper rock layers.  It's a temptation of Lucifer!

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey

So being curious about the world around you and how it came to be is caused by the devil?  How about wondering why there are 4 different versions of what Mary Magdalene saw when she went to the tomb?  (Mat 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20)

All the best

boilereric's picture
boilereric
Re: Is evolution itself an exponential function

Evolution is a straight forward theory, and "theory" is used in the scientific sense as opposed to the pop culture use. The simplest definition is descent with modification - offspring have minor genetic differences from their parents. This has been observed repeatedly. Over time these changes build up leading to new species and variations of life. Deny that this is happening at your own risk - if you get infected with MRSA be glad science has "evolved" right along with staph infections.

Also, part of the descent with modification is that there are excess offspring created, and the less fit offspring die, and do not reproduce. When excess offspring are allow to live and thrive, or there are no natural pressures against the offspring, populations do grow exponentially. Since humans have next to no natural predators that we can't easily defend ourselves against, and modern medicine keeps many people alive who previously wouldn't have made it, we get the exponential population growth we have today.

Doug's picture
Doug
evolution or myth

I can't believe that this topic even arises in the context of this blog.  On a science blog the ID'ers and creationists would promptly be shamed into leaving. 

boilereric is right in distinguishing between the popular and scientific uses of the word "theory."  There are many phenomena that are explained by theory but are fact.  My favorite, because I have some education in the subject, is electricity.  40 years ago when I was learning electrical theory there were 3 theories that could explain electricity, but the lights went on when I flipped a switch.  Nuclear fission is explained by theory, but fissions are happening all the time and we have learned how to control them.

Isn't it time, on a blog like this that deals with real concerns that we should all be paying attention to, that we dispense with nonsense myths out of hand and get on with learning real survival strategies and skills?

ds's picture
ds
Re: consciousness change?

[quote=s2r1]

consciousness change.

[/quote]

I am glad to see someone at least mention the word consciousness on here.

Rising world consciousness is, IMO, the most important factor to consider in the context of the economic changes we are witnessing. Unfortunately, based on the replies I've read so far, this might not be the right place to have such a discussion.

Anyone want to start a thread about how rising consciousness plays into what we are seeing? Or should we go elsewere?

john50's picture
john50
Evolution requires faith - it has no place in finance

s2r1 - I would be gald to discuss the financial implications of cycle studies by the likes of "Kondratieff, Robert Prechter, Martin Armstrong, Elliott waves". I agree you are on to something, the study of cycles has a direct implication to this discussion. Just leave out Evolution.

Connecting the dots in financial cycles is worthwhile. The real connection is Fibonacci mathematics, it is present in our DNA, the Solar System, and the way the DOW moves in socioeconomic trends that have patterns. Yesterdays huge rally is a typical wave 4 retracement, and wave 5 will completely eclipse to a new low soon.

For the critics, Evolution is a faith based religion for agnostics, it requires a belief in 'billions of years' to avoid dealing with a Creator. Go back and study Chris's 6000 years of population growth 'hockey stick', and try to fit that in with a hockey stick a billion years old, it absolutely does not work. Not one person that supports Evolution has ever found a missing species link, or offered one credible example of a cell developing new information. Certainly DNA information can be lost producing variations, like a wolf becomes a poodle under genetics losses, but it is stil a dog. Before you start flaming me here, let me open another thread for those that wish to discuss the topic. Smile

Back to PeakProsperity.com

Doug's picture
Doug
john50

"For the critics, Evolution is a faith based religion for agnostics"

Do you listen to yourself when you say things like this?  Go out and take a biology course. 

It's funny that every time some right wing religio-nut wants to say something bad about anyone else, they accuse them of religious belief.  It's become a right wing talking point.  Science is science and religion is religion.  Don't confuse them, they don't belong in the same universe.

Reuben Bailey's picture
Reuben Bailey
Re: Evolution requires faith - it has no place in finance

You are right that this is the wrong place to discuss this (evolution vs. creation) - it seems to be heading a long way from the finacial side of life.  I am unfamiliar with the wave theories of which you speak, so I am in no position to comment on them.  I have heard of Fibonacci lines and fans, etc. in technical analysis, but have no experience with them either.

As for faith, there is much in life that is done in it's name, good, bad, and otherwise.  

On a personal note, I find myself in a fix - I agree that this is not the appripriate forum to continue this discussion, but I would like to, just the same. You could say that you have found a nerve.

All the best

Quercus bicolor's picture
Quercus bicolor
A discussion of evolution might have relevance to finance.

Evolution vs creation is a hot button topic for many.  I would support it's discussion on this site (but in another topic), if those involved can find some relevance to the rest of the site and they agree to respect and learn from each other.

With that said, can we agree that this thread will focus on discussing the relevance of evolution to the financial and ecological crisis we find ourselves in?  I think it might prove valuable.  Those who want to pursue this might want to read a little book by Peter Russell called Waking Up In Time.   He's a great story teller, so please read the book.  I'll summarize it here. Evolution began with the big bang 13 billion years ago.  Since then, it's been like an exponential function, but with the doubling time decreasing as time progresses - even steeper than exponential!  At first it took billions of years for enough matter to congeal into stars and for heavier elements to be created inside the stars from hydrogen.  It's only second or even third generation stars like our sun that had enough oxygen, iron, nitrogen, oxygen and other elements for life to be possible. 

When life started, it proceeded very slowly until photosynthesis developed about 3 billion years ago, greatly increasing the energy available to life.  Evolution proceeded very slowly by mutation only until sexual reproduction developed about 2 billion years ago.  Next came senses and primitive nervous systems about 1 billion years ago, more complex nervous systems including vertebrate animals about 700 million years ago, mammals with complex brains about 100 million years ago, primates who could make tools with their hands several million years ago, language and culture about 100 thousand years ago, writing and agriculture 5-10 thousand years ago. At some point here, people became conscious of their consciousness - consciousness knowing itself and able to consciously influence evolution, "Waking Up in Time".  Of course, unconscious patterns lurked beneath the surface and for the most part have subjected evolution to deeper, more primitive forces.

Since then, there new ideas and inventions have come at a faster and faster pace - sailing ships, steam engines, electricity, computers and electronic communication whose capabilities grow exponentially, manipulating the genetic code.  At this point, things are changing so quickly that we are fast approaching a singularity, the point where the system becomes unstable, breaks down, and eventually settles into an entirely different mode.  Hence the "hockey stick" curves Chris refers to in the Crash Couse.  Russell poses the question  will we "Wake up in Time" to move evolution under the influence of our consciousness that can value the long term and the whole as opposed to just me and my closest loved ones over the next few months or years?

That's it for the book summary.  Here's some personal opinion.

I think that is the perfect question to ask.  Let's face it, if we keep moving blindly in the direction we're going things are going to crash really hard, so hard that no amount of preparation will guarantee us protection.  If things really fall apart, I expect most of us would be touched by severe hardship as the population crashes.  So preparation will help, but conscious evolution complements it well.  It could help us find some new and unexpected solution either before the crash (perhaps preventing or more likely mitigating it), or after.  It will certainly help us live in extremely challenging times without losing our sanity and perhaps even while maintaining our happiness.

ds's picture
ds
Re: A discussion of evolution might have relevance to finance.
[quote=steveyoung]

a little book by Peter Russell called Waking Up In Time.  

So preparation will help, but conscious evolution complements it well.  It could help us find some new and unexpected solution either before the crash (perhaps preventing or more likely mitigating it), or after.

[/quote]

I second this book recommendation!

Conscious evolution is really the key in the long run. Without it, we will repeat the same mistakes. With it, the meltdown of the global financial system will be an opportunity for a more enlightened monetary system.

Society doesn't yet have the level of consciousness required to put a significantly better monetary system in place, but growth in consciousness is happening all the time. The fact that a book like "Waking Up In Time" gets mentioned on a forum like this is a sign of progress IMO.

john50's picture
john50
consciousness change

Hey, I agree, if it relates to the Crash Course, let us discuss that in a corner. A new Faith/Finance thread is here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/connecting-faith-crash-course/7294

If we all keep doing the same mistakes, how can we expect anything to get better?

Anonymous's picture
s2r1 (not verified)
Cycles, Fractal patterns, and Exponential functions

steveyoung,

Thanks for the reference to the Book Waking Up In Time

I am glad there was a spin off thread on "faith" as I wanted to focus on consciousness and modelling the world. There is an overlap with god when you really dig deep into the subject.

If you want to understand the world as a system then you need to investigate three key components.

1. Cycles
  2. Fractal patterns
  3. Exponential functions

Here are some of the authors I have studied

1. Fred Harrison(18 year land price cycle)
  2. Nokolai Kondratieff (60 year price/debt cycle)
  3. Oswald Spengler - book: "The Decline of the West" (1500-2000 civilisation cycles)
  4. Martin Armstrong (8.6 year PI cycle, fractal patterns)
  5. Robert Prechter (Elliott waves, fractal patterns, 300 years)
  6. Chris Martenson (exponential functions, 10,000 years)

Most authors try and model the world with only one of these components. Martin Armstrong was the exception as he used 2 components (cycles and fractal patterns)

Winston Churchill said, "The further back you look, the further forward you can see."

So why not create a model that incorporates all three components and goes back as far as the Big Bang.

This is exactly what Dr Carl Calleman has done in his 2 books and Ian Lungold presents in his Google videos.

I would go as far to say that Calleman's model is so powerful that it can unify the 6 author's works listed above. His model has metaphysical qualities too

It goes much further than the book Waking Up In Time in that he pin-points the date evolution completes - 28 October 2011 - 3 years away.

Sounds completely crazy? Most people would reject this concept. But when you really start to think about an evolution of consciousness model, this is exactly how it would work. We only realise right at the end what it was all about.

Stephen Lark's picture
Stephen Lark
Re: consciousness change?
[quote=ds]

[quote=s2r1]

consciousness change.

[/quote]

I am glad to see someone at least mention the word consciousness on here.

Rising world consciousness is, IMO, the most important factor to consider in the context of the economic changes we are witnessing. Unfortunately, based on the replies I've read so far, this might not be the right place to have such a discussion.

Anyone want to start a thread about how rising consciousness plays into what we are seeing? Or should we go elsewere?

[/quote]

Hey ds, have a look at the first section (Basic Info) of this.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments