Errors/questions on Oil - the coming supply crunch

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
tommyguy's picture
tommyguy
Errors/questions on Oil - the coming supply crunch

I have a question about the table on page 9 of the Martenson Report Oil - the coming supply crunch.

You say you are using a ratio of "oil-to-GDP" of 0.27% per 1% growth in GDP and then show a table of implied oil supply growth at various levels of GDP growth. But I can't make the numbers work past one year.

Let's take an example: 5% GDP growth.

This should imply an oil growth rate of 0.27 x 5 = 1.35%

Starting at a level of 84mb/d, one year does yield 84 x 1.0135 = 85.134mb/d and you report 85.14. But in 5 years, it should be 84 x 1.0135^5 = 89.82mb/d but you report 102.84. This number would imply a growth rate of about 4% per year for oil production.

What am I missing?

Thanx, and keep up the good work.

TommyGuy

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Re: Errors/questions on Oil - the coming supply crunch

Hi tommyGuy,

I made an error (dropped a $ sign in the old excel table) and missed it.  It was caught within minutes by another sharp eyed reader and has been fixed on the copy at the site.

I recommend that you print out the version located at the site, or simply read it there, if you want the fixed version.  Also, several other annoying copy-edit errors slipped by me as well for the newsletter version and are fixed.

In general, I will always find a fix a few minor things over the next few days after sending a newsletter out.

When the errors require, I will post an explanation at the site, as I did in this case.  Here's the text from that (posted to the very top of the Report itself):

Note: I missed an error that impacted the last two tables in this article. This version has been corrected. The newsletter contains two tables which overstate the oil supply shortfall. While I regret all errors and strive to make as few as possible, I am somewhat salved by the fact that the fundamental conclusions of this article were unaffected.

Thanks for your sharp eyes!

Best,
Chris

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments