Environment verses Capitalism or extinction = change the paradigm

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Environment verses Capitalism or extinction = change the paradigm

I want to thank Chris Martenson for his work on "What should I do" series, on Resilence. Since most of us already agree on how we got here and why. Making a way to prepare for whats coming.  I came across this TED video and thought I might share it.

But first, it makes me wonder how things can be so messed up. Our way of life is to support comsumption. And the economy is driven by this endless and ever increasing consumption. Were being told this is the way out of the depression were in now. Just spend, spend, spend your way to bliss and debt=bankruptcy! We all by now know this is unsustainable and if were having trouble with 6 billion people, how will it be with 9 billion in 2050?  How some are trying to change the paradigm. We have no other choice to change and consumption must be reduced by the Rich nations verses the poorer ones. We consume 43 times the average African, do we consume to much? Yes!!!!!!!

It's time to work together..............time is running out..........there are solutions, but we need to act in concert. It reminds me of Matt Simmons, who said he no longer wanted to talk about peak oil, as he was moving on. Finding solutions. There are many other examples, here's one. Spend some time on TED.com     Jon

http://www.ted.com/talks/jason_clay_how_big_brands_can_save_biodiversity...

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68
Re: Environment verses Capitalism or extinction = change ...

Interesting.  Thanks.

My Opinion.  It is unlikely that the earth was at a sustainable level in 1990 with 6 billion people.  His estimate of our consumption today at 1.3 earths seems very optimistic.

I do agree in his premise that we will need to convince the very biggest entites to make changes, as it is beyond the individual to make constant decisions about what is really sustainable.

Thanks

deggleton's picture
deggleton
investorzzo wrote:

I want to thank Chris Martenson for his work on "What should I do" series, on Resilence. Since most of us already agree on how we got here and why. Making a way to prepare for whats coming.  I came across this TED video and thought I might share it.

But first, it makes me wonder how things can be so messed up. Our way of life is to support comsumption. And the economy is driven by this endless and ever increasing consumption.

Here I will, this once, amplify what's in small print every time I post.  A Confucian observation/prescription, it came to me via an essay by Wendell Berry:

"There is a chief way for the production of wealth, namely, that the producers be many and that the mere consumers be few, that the artisan mass be energetic and the consumers temperate."

Through that lens we readily see that our so-called way of life is way out of balance and, as such, well-deserving of another characterization.  To pick up the lens, begin to entertain the idea that workers are not producers, but consumers of jobs offered by producers.

So many are unemployed when there is so much to be done!

David

Christopher H's picture
Christopher H

In dark times such as these, it is sometimes helpful to remember that the Chinese use the same word for "opportunity" as they do for "crisis."  Given the longevity of Chinese civilizatiion, especially when compared to other major civilizations in world history, I think that there is something to be learned from them in this.

Paradigm shifts are not borne out of times of plenty and complacency.  Rather, they arrive as a result of the old ways being discredited through crises they can no longer resolve.

This is one of those times.  The old models are no longer able to sustain legitimacy in the eyes of the people through fulfillment of a social contract, so they are increasingly resorting to displays of authority.  In this sense, the state/corporate bureacratic elite is little different from the dynastic/religious elite of baroque Western Europe and the "divine right of kings."  The recent article by an obscure economist with the Federal Reserve that denounced any attempts by non-economists to unpack economic activity provides a basic example of this dynamic at work.  Since so many economists (the high priests of the modern secular religion of perpetual progress and growth) have failed so miserably in fulfilling their reason-for-being, they are resorting to pure authority as justification for their position -- just as popes and cardinals resorted to pure displays of authority during the late middle ages to maintain legitimacy in the face of growing dissatisfaction and challenge.

The question is, are we up to the demands of this crisis/opportunity?  Will we be able to develop alternative arrangements outside of the status quo, especially as that status quo becomes increasingly coercive in order to maintain a privileged position it no longer warrants?  Only time will tell....

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments