Employer's gold, silver payroll standard may bring hard time

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brainless's picture
Brainless
Employer's gold, silver payroll standard may bring hard time

http://www.lvrj.com/news/46074037.html#blogcomments?submitted=y

Robert Kahre, who owns numerous construction businesses in Las Vegas, is standing trial on 57 counts of income tax evasion, tax fraud and criminal conspiracy. If convicted on most counts, he could live out his life in prison.

But attorney William Cohan paints Kahre as an American "hero" who believes his payroll system helped keep the U.S. monetary system sound, and was also a form of legal tax avoidance.

A self-made entrepreneur, Kahre, 48, paid his workers in gold and silver coin, and said they could go by the coins' face value -- rather than the much higher market value of their precious metal content -- for federal tax purposes. He did not withhold taxes from their wages, and he provided the same payroll system to 35 outside clients, which were other local businesses.

I especially liked one of the comments

I took my wife to see Star Trek last night. What a great movie. And what a great value. Before I went I took two 2006 U.S. legal tender silver dollar coins and exchanged them at a coin dealer for 35 irredeemable green legal tender notes. 

To my surprise the Movie theater took them without so much as a how do you do just like they were REAL MONEY.

We picked up a big tub of popcorn and some candy and a drink too. All for the value of 2 legal tender silver dollars.

What a country! What a movie!

And all for $2. That is less than I used to pay in the 1960s.

And with Gas prices at 7.5 gallons for a single dollar I mean how can anyone be complaining.

Did you know you can buy a nice new 2500 sq. ft. home home for 10,000 silver dollars right now? That is less than in the 60s too!

Too bad so many of you deal in those nearly worthless FRNS.

Wise up and free yourself. Use real money to calculate what you spend and earn. Prices are GOING DOWN BIG TIME!

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Re: Employer's gold, silver payroll standard may bring hard ...

Wow - great story, Brainless. I read all the comments as well. People are really up in arms about this. I hope he wins but I suspect that TPTB will make sure he doesn't otherwise more people will realize the Emperor has no clothes!

Ragnar_Danneskjold's picture
Ragnar_Danneskjold

I read a similar story about a year ago, where the person(s) WON in court (or maybe it was a mistrial) because the bullion coins have a face value and are legal tender.  The jury in that case wasn't fooled. I wonder if this story is related and the same people are being tried again....I think so.

http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/UPDATE/misc2007/DOJ-PressRelease-KahreApril2005.htm 

This link has more background info...they ARE trying the same people again.

http://waronyou.com/topics/employers-gold-silver-payroll-standard-may-bring-hard-time/

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

I loved the story and what a great idea!  Wish I had thought of it!  if only someone with instant name recognition had done this (like Warren Buffet), which would put this on the front page, a real debate could be had.

KKPSTEIN's picture
KKPSTEIN

I especially liked one of the comments

I took my wife to see Star Trek last night. What a great movie. And what a great value. Before I went I took two 2006 U.S. legal tender silver dollar coins and exchanged them at a coin dealer for 35 irredeemable green legal tender notes. 

To my surprise the Movie theater took them without so much as a how do you do just like they were REAL MONEY.

We picked up a big tub of popcorn and some candy and a drink too. All for the value of 2 legal tender silver dollars.

What a country! What a movie!

And all for $2. That is less than I used to pay in the 1960s.

And with Gas prices at 7.5 gallons for a single dollar I mean how can anyone be complaining.

Did you know you can buy a nice new 2500 sq. ft. home home for 10,000 silver dollars right now? That is less than in the 60s too!

Too bad so many of you deal in those nearly worthless FRNS.

Wise up and free yourself. Use real money to calculate what you spend and earn. Prices are GOING DOWN BIG TIME!

This is so hilarious.  I love it!!! 

db's picture
db

Thank you for posting this story.

Below is a link to a video interview of Robert Kahre and his legal representation :

http://www.insiderexclusive.com/firm_cohan.htm

Take care.

db

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

I'm curious about how he did his business accounting. Even if he did not withhold taxes for his employees, he would presumedly still make a ledger entry regarding how much each employee was paid in Federal Reserve Note dollars, equating to the cost of each gold or silver coin actually provided as wages. Unless, of course, he was receiving payment from clients in gold and silver coins, which would seem unlikely...

As a small business owner myself, I'd love a peek at his books! This is a very interesting story...

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

If I could get my clients to pay me in gold/silver, I'd be one happy camper indeed.  Even just a few of them...  One 10-session package would be juuust a little less than a 1-oz gold eagle these days.  I should actually let drop the idea in a casual way and see who might have gold coins lying around they don't want (inherited them from their numismatic uncle or something)...

(I can already tell I'll be thinking about this all day...muttermutter[smile]...)

Viva -- Sager

Ragnar_Danneskjold's picture
Ragnar_Danneskjold
SagerXX wrote:

If I could get my clients to pay me in gold/silver, I'd be one happy camper indeed.

I indexed my prices to the 200 day moving average for GLD a few months ago (with a floor at $80)...prices change the 1st of every month.  Obviously, actual gold/silver would be better, but given what has been going on lately and the risks, it is better than nothing.  Still, if I start seeing >2.5% increases over a 3 month period, government seizures, unrest, or whatever, I'll be asking for payment in specie, and I've let my customers know that.  The 200 day has been flat the past few months...we'll see what happens.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Ragnar_Danneskjold wrote:
SagerXX wrote:

If I could get my clients to pay me in gold/silver, I'd be one happy camper indeed.

I indexed my prices to the 200 day moving average for GLD a few months ago (with a floor at $80)...prices change the 1st of every month.  Obviously, actual gold/silver would be better, but given what has been going on lately and the risks, it is better than nothing.  Still, if I start seeing >2.5% increases over a 3 month period, government seizures, unrest, or whatever, I'll be asking for payment in specie, and I've let my customers know that.  The 200 day has been flat the past few months...we'll see what happens.

It took me about 10 minutes to come to the realization that if some clients were to pay me in gold/silver -- and then PM prices went waaay up, I could be sowing discontent with those upon whom I rely for my livelihood.

Twas a nice daydream, though.  

Viva -- Sager

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

This guy is a genius. From now on I will advertise my business services for 10 dollars, then the mouse type will read that these 10 dollars must be paid in pre-1925 gold dollar coins.

I will then report my income at face amount. You guys will still write to me when I'm in prison?

It will be interesting to watch how this case turns out.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments