Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer
Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle

Hello all,

This authour sums up a lot of what I have been worried about in the recent years, the decaying of literacy and the coarsening of out culture in north america. Audio on NPR,  or here is a video on youtube if you prefer.

Personally? I think America is in its death throes, its moving on its own inertia like a body pushed down a steep cliff.

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit
Re: Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph ...

Outstanding post, Ed.  Thank you.  I think Hedges is on to something about some of the underlying causes of the problems we have in our society/culture, and I think these problems have been pumped up by the financial/economic factors that are contributed by huge, selfish, corporations that are ONLY profit oriented, and a government that has sold out to these corporations.....and, of course, the banking cartel, that owns us, and is robbing us blind every day..

I never cease to be amazed how we continue to spend, spend, spend on enormous sporting events, concerts, etc. etc. as though these were the primary values in our lives.  

Sorry to say, but I think it is too late to fix it.....partly because not enough of us are willing to re-evaluate what's really important for the well being of the Earth, and the functioning of a healthy society.  We're on a runaway train, IMHO.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments