Emergency Evacuation Preparation

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken C's picture
Ken C
Emergency Evacuation Preparation

Yesterday we had an opportunity  to experience getting ready to evacuate our house because of the fires near Los Angeles. I had done some planning for such an event so I was not completely unprepared but it did take longer that expected to get the truck packed up with the stuff I want to take.There always seems to be more "must have" than I expect.

Also, it is enlightenting to have to move all of my guns, ammo, PM and other "must take" stuff. All of that stuff weighs a lot more than you might expect. Also, it is somewhat depressing knowing that you will have to leave some stuff behind and you might not see it again.

As it turned out we did not have to evacuate but the fire did come pretty close to our place. It is still burning and lots of fire suppression effort still underway but I think the worst may be  over.

On another note:

The response from the emergency crews was substantial. Many dozens and probably hundreds of trips from the big water dropping helicopters and fire retardent fixed wing planes, fire crews from all over the western states. Overnight we had a firetruck parked out in front of our house keeping watch on the hot spots.

All of that effort is very expensive in terms of tax dollars and fuel consumption. One wonders how long that sort of effort will be possible after peak oil, SHTF,  economic collapse etc.

Now we can look forward to the rains, floods, and mudslides in the fall/winter

Ken

becky's picture
becky
Re: Emergency Evacuation Preparation

I'm glad to hear you and yours are safe, Ken. 

becky

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit

Ken,

We live on the West coast too, up near Canada, and we often think not of fires so much, as earthquakes.  Recently it was in our local paper that we are one of the real hot spots for quakes, and they say when it happens here, the tsunami could reach all the way to Japan.  That's how bad they expect it to be. (estimate 9.5+) and these of this magnitude occur roughly every 300 years.  Last one was in 1703.  But what we see is that anywhere one lives, there are going to be some drawbacks, and some major dangers.  So, what the heck.  Might as well live where it is beautiful, people are wonderful and we can grow our own organic food.

Anyway, like you, we've given lots and lots of thought as to how to "run" should such an emergency occur, and it is plenty scary.  At our age, retired, we have gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but there is still quite a bit that would be sorely missed, so we can appreciate your feelings on that subject too.

Hope the darn fires stay away from your home, and you and yours remain safe.

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Becky,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. We are all safe. I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience a situation where they think they have to leave home and not see your house again. It is really quite enlightening as to what becomes important.

Ben,

We know about earthquakes here in So Cal too. We are overdue for the BIG one. I hope it remains overdue for a loooong time.

Ken

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Hi Ken,

Glad you are ok. That is a good wake up call for your area. My friend lost everything in t he Oakland fire a number of years ago and I mean everything. I think the FD gave them two minutes to collect things and they were not prepared.

They rebuilt on the same lot and are still living there now.

SG

ejanea's picture
ejanea

When I was a teenager, my family was evacuated because of fire.  We had to leave immediately and take nothing!  In fact,  my mother took the baby photos, my brother took his records, my father took some tools and I took the dog.

We were lucky and the house was there when we came back.

Ever since though, I've never worried about "stuff".... you can fix cars, get stuff,  but you can't get a life back!  I used to tell my children when anything was precarious that....  "I can always get more stuff,  but I can't get another you."

Tycer's picture
Tycer

Glad you are OK.

I highly recommend both of Cody Lundin's books for just this scenario.

98.6º Degrees:The Art Of Keeping Your Ass Alive

and

When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Know When Disaster Strikes

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

I agree Cody Lunden's books are both great, and the SAS survival guides too.  IMHO Cody's books are great for low  to no cost survival and interesting to read, SAS  survival guide I found covered an even broader range of potential emergency situations but less detailed in terms of how to gear up, etc...

I am glad you  and family and home are ok.

Regards

Ken C's picture
Ken C

As Yogi would say. It's Deja Vu all over again.

Last night (actually this morning) about 3:00 AM we were forced to evacuate because the fire had once again changed direction and came back to threaten the neighborhood. We are about 50 miles away staying at  my daughters place for the time being.

We were told earlier in the evening that things were not looking good and we got the blasting of police sirens and load speakers later.

"Evacuate - get out now"

It looks like the strategy for the FD is to let the fire burn the brush and only try to protect the houses.

I expect that my house will be OK. I hope I can get back in today but who knows????

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts.

Ken

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments