Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gamayun's picture
Gamayun
Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

Looks like the vulnerability of US electric grid to external security compromises reached mainstream media:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.html

What I really can't understand is what those grid systems are doing connected to public internet, anyone with a gram of common sense could tell them it's a bad idea.

Power grid interruptions can easily cause a TSHTF scenario on local or regional scale, so being prepared to live off the grid for a few days is definitely a good thing.

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Re: Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

Looks to me like more fear propaganda to implement more oppressive laws, regulations, etc.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

If there truly are people that have these grid systems connected to the public internet, they are incompetent.

mpelchat's picture
mpelchat
MarkM wrote:

Looks to me like more fear propaganda to implement more oppressive laws, regulations, etc.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

If there truly are people that have these grid systems connected to the public internet, they are incompetent.

It has been quite hard determining what is propaganda and what is news these days.  Seems to me that whatever is in them main media is the magicians hand waving and what we find from reputable sources that does not make Headline news or the front page of Yahoo or MSN is probably closer to the truth.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

It is truly sad that we have had the lever of fear used on us so brazenly.  Undoubtedly, it is tool that works on many.

Unfortunately, as we become calloused to the call to be afraid and the let the government protect us, when the time comes for legitimate concern we may disregard it as well. 

Gamayun's picture
Gamayun

Computer security record of all US Government agencies except security-specific ones (CIA/FBI/NSA etc) has always been abysmal since insufficient budget is dedicated to that area, so I can easily believe that internet-connected and old modem-accessible parts of the grid can be owned even by script kiddies, and especially by foreign security professionals.

Fivemileshigh's picture
Fivemileshigh

CHAIRMAN ROCKEFELLER AND SENATOR SNOWE INTRODUCE COMPREHENSIVE CYBERSECURITY LEGISLATION

The document is dated 4/1/2009 and it can be accessed at 

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/_files/Cyberbillsummaryonepagerplusthr...

Among other actions, it proposes to "Establish the Office of the National Cybersecurity Advisor within the Executive Office of the President." It also proposes to "Develop a comprehensive national strategy for cybersecurity", "Establish enforceable cybersecurity standards", "Establish international norms and cybersecurity deterrence measures." (boldface - mine)

For those who can read between the lines, Internet censorship is coming to the USA. The EU is not far behind, if at all.

Expect more "cybersecurity" fearmongering propaganda in the MSM to help push this legislation along and possibly a false flag operation too.

Unfortunately, it seems 1984 is only a matter of time.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments