Education on Economics for Children

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
SaulMenowitz's picture
SaulMenowitz
Education on Economics for Children

We homeschool our six kids for a variety of reasons. My kids have overheard my wife and I talking about the economy, the Fed, peak oil etc., and are very interested, esp. our oldest (9 y.o.).  Does anyone know of educational material on economics, particularly monetary policy and the Fed, for kids?  I'm not interested in the pro-government propaganda, but real education.

Thanks.

strabes's picture
strabes
Re: Education on Economics for Children

Hi Saul, considering the truth about this stuff isn't taught to adults either, I doubt there's any for kids except what a few original thinkers have packaged.  There's probably stuff for kids based on neoclassical economic fraud, but that's the propaganda you refer to which has a total monopoly over economic thought in the US.

Try the Money As Debt videos.  the first one is here http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544&ei=imYNS93y...

The 2nd series is on youtube:

The Wizard of Oz might be a useful book.  As they read it, you can talk them through the monetary symbolism if you get Bill Still's video "Secret of Oz" (not on youtube) to understand how the author might have been writing a story against central banking.  

Even a movie like It's a Wonderful Life could be useful and then ask the simple question "why would we want our nation to be in debt to bankers like the one who tried to screw George Bailey?"  The problem is the answer to that question is obvious, so you'll want to be ready when your kids say "you tell me...you adults are the ones that set it up!"

lundsta's picture
lundsta

What about focusing on what our founding fathers really invisioned for this country and how it has turned out today? My parents had me read works by Thomas Jefferson and I am still amazed how this was left out of my "grade school" education.

You may have to use real life examples and let them learn for themselves. (For Example: The professor that wanted his students to understand communism under the Obama plan)

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

Modern Money Secrets.  It's the final word on what money is and how it should be used to benifit society.

strabes's picture
strabes

fyi, I recommended Money As Debt because it's a cartoon...perfect for kids.  In fact a couple adults I recommended it to were offended...thought I was treating them like kids!  

Davos's picture
Davos

Wish I could get Marsh to agree to homeschooling our kid - one is off to college already. We have about a half dozen clients who home school, many run their business from an office in their house so I get to see the home school show first hand. I am amazed by how much less stress there is on the kids, how smart they are, how rested they are, the amount of time they can spend on core work instead of the bs I saw when I taught hs for a year. Most importantly the kids are better adjusted, and can figure stuff out.

On the money thing: My little guy has a stone egg house that I built him. He helps with the 30 hens and 2 roosters. He gets to sell his eggs and pay for some of the food and I explained fractional reserve banking and the fed's counterfeiting so he chose to buy pm's. He has "made" more in pm's then in eggs (well he understands it just looks that way, that the pms are a store of value and the paper value is tanking.) I suppose what I'm saying is sometimes the best way to learn (least for me) is to read about it and then jump in and swim. Perhaps a micro business doing something they like would be the best education? That was my reasoning. I knew I made progress when I got the bank and bond question, "So Dad, why do I have Fiat money in a saving account and what's with the bonds?" "Shouldn't this be in gold and silver?"

Additionally we have a series of books that include Jefferson (as mentioned above) and a lot of other presidents from that period. I share a lot of the videos I watch and we talk a lot about the economy.

poisonivy113's picture
poisonivy113

I bet since your kids are home schooled they are much farther ahead in reading ability and comprehension than their state schooled counterparts. They can probably understand more than you realize. I agree that the cartoon videos mentioned above are good. 

I also think that Dave Ramsey has something of value to offer here. Though he doesn't seem to subscribe to the global EEE principles, his message is primarily one of personal finances. He heavily promotes a debt free living philosophy, and though he "invests" in mutual funds. He does have a program directed towards kids. I've never reviewed it, since I don't have kids. You might want to take a look at that first, as it might provide a foundation.  

However, your kids, especially the older ones, may already understand more than you realize. I was 10 years old when Nixon closed the window on the gold standard. I remember my dad being very upset by that, and from what he said I knew that paper money didn't have any value when it's not backed by anything. I couldn't have explained fiat currency very well at that age, but I did gain a fundamental understanding based on that. I also remember my dad having that generations crop of books centered around the coming collapse. I read some of those. Again, i didn't necessarily fully understand everything but it laid some good groundwork.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Saul ,    We too have home educated our 9 children for the passed 25 years .  Now one daughter is educating her own at home . Every one of them that are of employment age is working and has $0 debt . All are very hard workers .

A couple books I really prefered are ' What Ever Happened to Penny Candy '  and 'Honest Money by Dr. Gary North '    I am not for sure but they may be Biblical based  so you may want to google them if this would offend you .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments