Editing forum posts

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
gauntlett's picture
gauntlett
Editing forum posts

I recently created a new forum topic, and after posting it realized the problem with my inline link.  I went to go and edit it and was unable to.  I think there needs to be a way to edit one's posts, and once edited the time and history of edits appear at the bottom so people know the original post was modified.

Majormoney's picture
Majormoney
Re: Editing forum posts

gauntlett--

Well said.  I started a new thread on the 17a forum.  I can edit my responses to other posts--with an EDIT button--but I cannot edit my initial post--because there is no EDIT button on it.  I am sure this is an oversight which can readily be fixed.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

[quote=gauntlett]I recently created a new forum topic, and after posting it realized the problem with my inline link.  I went to go and edit it and was unable to.  I think there needs to be a way to edit one's posts, and once edited the time and history of edits appear at the bottom so people know the original post was modified.[/quote]

At this time the forums do not allow contributions to be edited after they are posted.

We agree with the many website experts who believe that original forum posts (and comments) should not be editable once they are posted. The thought is if someone changes the original post, it may make the entire thread irrelevant, and users will have a hard time understanding the other posts in the thread.

Sorry to disappoint. I appreciate your desire to make your post more readable. You may want to make an extra effort to hit preview your words carefully before you hit post. Thanks for your understanding.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

Just got bitten the same way sort of staring a thread and getting

This was pasted from word.

I did not use preview, I had checked it over and am happy with everything bar the formatting junk in the thread.

Have since had the same problem when replying to comments, Managed a laborious workaround in "edit post" but.......

What am I doing wrong when using the paste from word button ?

Thread http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/solar-pv-eroei/9015

Would it be possible for you to remove the formatting junk from my post ?

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Had a bit of bother with preview. Hit edit in the preview pane and my previous changes disappeared! Worked out you just have to scroll down to the text area below. Slowly getting the hang of it.

admin's picture
admin

I've fixed this for you.  Sometimes the "Paste from Word" button doesn't always work as well as it should.  The "Paste as Plain Text" button strips out all extraneous formatting, but will also remove bold, italic, etc. that would have been in the original.

Yes, with the preview you just want to scroll down and can make edits at the bottom of the same page.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

Thank you That was fast !

switters's picture
switters
Amanda wrote:
gauntlett wrote:

I recently created a new forum topic, and after posting it realized the problem with my inline link.  I went to go and edit it and was unable to.  I think there needs to be a way to edit one's posts, and once edited the time and history of edits appear at the bottom so people know the original post was modified.

At this time the forums do not allow contributions to be edited after they are posted.

We agree with the many website experts who believe that original forum posts (and comments) should not be editable once they are posted. The thought is if someone changes the original post, it may make the entire thread irrelevant, and users will have a hard time understanding the other posts in the thread.

Sorry to disappoint. I appreciate your desire to make your post more readable. You may want to make an extra effort to hit preview your words carefully before you hit post. Thanks for your understanding.

While I completely understand the intention behind not allowing forum posts to be edited, there's another way I've seen it done on other problems that seems to be a good compromise: allowing editing for a short period of time after the topic is created (say 15 minutes).

This allows the author to make any last-minute changes, but doesn't allow them to go back and change it once there have already been a number of comments on the thread.

I just posted a thread, and realized that the title was incomplete.  I can't see what harm it would do to make that quick change, especially before anyone has even posted a comment.

admin's picture
admin
Chris Kresser wrote:

While I completely understand the intention behind not allowing forum posts to be edited, there's another way I've seen it done on other problems that seems to be a good compromise: allowing editing for a short period of time after the topic is created (say 15 minutes).

I was wondering when you might mention this.  Wink  I'm sure you're familiar with such options that exist in vBulletin, SMF, phpBB, etc.

I've wanted this functionality in the core software for some time, but alas, it doesn't exist right now.  However, it is on the radar screen of those who build the forum functionality.  It's a trade-off ... the software is tightly integrated with the content management system, which provides some great advantages, but then some of the "bells and whistles" are not readily available because of it.  All these little things will be improved in the long run, they just take time.

However, don't hold your breath that it is coming in the very near future ... the people that own this particular software module just started discussing the modification on December 24.  Smile

Ron

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments