Economic warfare erupts between U.S., Russia and China

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Economic warfare erupts between U.S., Russia and China 30/01
Economic warfare (between U.S., Russia and China) is one of the greatest threats of the 21st century. US debt bomb puts us at risk. Russia and China helped cause the housing collapse.

[

#:TheVideoLink]

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

#

Holy Cats you will want to watch this.

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Re: Economic warfare erupts between U.S., Russia and China

I watched it for just over 4 minutes. Thats as much of the self serving nonsense I could stand. Really, the Russians are responsible for the US housing collapse or was it the taxpayer bailout of the too big to fail banks?

Is this really the level of economic reporting on the US networks?

RogerA's picture
RogerA

And other warfare.

U.S. sells weapons to Taiwan, angering China

The United States says weapons sales to Taiwan help to maintain stability in East Asia by making it more difficult for Beijing to bully Taiwan.

strabes's picture
strabes

Steve, later in the video they actually rip the Fed for the whole thing and make it clear American institutions are doing this to us...it's not the evil reds.

But no doubt the big 3 networks will make the masses believe evil Putin is doing this to us...he has a scary face after all...though he looks more sane than Paulson.

Amazing how easy it is to tell a blatant lie about a couple politicians on the other side of the world and have people almost automatically believe it, but telling the truth about our own elites on our own soil doing it and it's a conspiracy theory.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

One of the things that struck me in this video is the assumtion that China won't ditch the dollar because they have too much invested in it.

Why do so many 'experts' think that? If you engaged in a business venture with someone and it turned out to be a bad deal for you would you continue to stay in the venture and financially bankrupt yourself or would you take your losses and learn your lesson?

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

I'm not surprised that Paulson is trying to blame Russia and China for the destruction of the American economy.  After all, he was one of the perpetrators of the greatest theft in history; someone else must be blamed.

Our enemies are not in the deserts of Iraq, the mountains of Afganistan, China or Russia - they are on Wall Street and in Washington DC. 

Larry

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Haven't we been waging economic warfare against Russia and China since, oh, 1945?

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

I'm not surprised that Paulson is trying to blame Russia and China for the destruction of the American economy.  After all, he was one of the perpetrators of the greatest theft in history; someone else must be blamed.

Our enemies are not in the deserts of Iraq, the mountains of Afganistan, China or Russia - they are on Wall Street and in Washington DC. 

Larry

Lets try to remember its the local bankers who are doing the exact same thing just on a smaller scale.  It's the entire banking system.

rickets's picture
rickets

"Lets try to remember its the local bankers who are doing the exact same thing just on a smaller scale.  It's the entire banking system."

Let's also remember it was millions of Americans who were too greedy and over leveraged themselves just as the bankers did that got us into this trouble.  The finger pointing is madness, the banks are scapegoats.  We should be ashamed at our banks and leaders yes, but also look at ourselves, our neighbors, or families - - the ones who bought 400k homes on 65k salaries and added two giant 40k SUVs on top of that all with close to nothing down.  Everyone - the banks and the individuals - mostly played within the law and rules of conduct.  These rules were made less and less restrictive, and that alone caused greed and leverage.  If you blame anyone, blame those who changed these rules - including people who, with good intention, made it easier for the poor and for the minorities to buy homes.  Nice thought, disasterous outcome (predictably).  Now, people who can afford to make their monthly payment are walking away from upsidedown mortgages in droves.  These people are scum and just as low as the banks and the regulators.  Why is this never mentioned in the same conversation as the evil bankers.  Americans as a whole have become greedy and untrustworthy with anything economic.   

Dogs in a Pile nailed this comment:  "Haven't we been waging economic warfare against Russia and China since, oh, 1945?"   The US engages in more economic warefare than all other countries combined - and has done so each and every year for decades.  Because we have become foolish with our money, we are now exposed to China and Russian economic warfare....the playing field is quickly becoming more level.

Its time we all stop being so angry only at the banks and the fed.  Its time we all hold our communities and individuals within accountable too.  Its time to reduce our excess, its time to reign in growth.  Its time for sustainability on an economic level.

strabes's picture
strabes
rickets wrote:

the banks are scapegoats

So depressing.  If this view isn't changed, America is toast. 

The self-mutilating guilt is tiresome, "it's all our fault too."  Should we blame the citizens of New Jersey and Louisiana for the mafia, the usury-based system that rules pockets of their states?  I guess in a way it's their fault.  But instead of just saying they all need to take the blame, the solution is to rally against the parasite that sits at the top of their system and take it out. 

We have a parasite.  We know who that parasite is...the same parasite that all these folks talked about:

Aristotle, Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Indira Gandhi, Napolean, Lord Acton, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, James Garfield, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, and even British super-banker Sir Josiah Stamp

We can take this parasite out.  We can attack it.  We must.  Any host that's been invaded needs to kill the parasite or it dies.  But it seems Americans have lost the ability to grasp the parasitic fundamentals of the financial system we have (even though the CC explains one part of the math of it).  It was the hottest political topic throughout our history...the old free citizens of the old free republic knew they were at war with the Anglo financiers. They knew it was an important aspect of propping up the crown and keeping people down.  But citizens of today's empire who are needed to join in the attack are sabotaging it by saying "it's everybody's fault, you can't blame bankers."  Ok.  Parasite wins. 

Quote:

Americans as a whole have become greedy and untrustworthy with anything economic

Precisely the climate this parasite caused in the host as it broke down the community-based foundation of the old American republic and replaced it with a financial empire.

Quote:

the ones who bought 400k homes on 65k salaries and added two giant 40k SUVs on top of that all with close to nothing down

Yes these were the examples of extravagance in our time.  But in every phase of economic development, there are always those who look like they are pushing the limits of credit worthiness.  These are the people who make up the new target market of the financiers in any given time period in order to expand the credit system.  30 years ago people who had any consumer debt AT ALL were considered extravagant, wasteful, irresponsible...the older generation yelled at them just like you are yellling at the sub-prime folks today.  50 years ago people who had anything but a checking and savings account were crazy nut jobs. Back then Donald Trump would be viewed as a pathetic salesman making money off debt-peddling instead of revered as a captain of industry. 

We can't forget the exponential nature of the financial system...it must push the limits and continuously expand liquidity or it fails.  So the subprime expansion was just the latest innovation of the bankers to keep the credit pumps running.  The system would've crashed years ago had they not done so, and whoever was in the convenient "irresponsible" camp back then would've taken the blame while the financiers kept their rich commissions and laughed. 

Blaming subprime folks is an indicator that the basic nature of the financial system is not understood.

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin

+10 to Strabes on post #10

strabes's picture
strabes

Dogs, yes we've been at war with them.  But how that justifies blaming them for the problems US institutions and officials cause is beyond me. 

rickets's picture
rickets

Strabes, my guess is that we are close to being on the same page.  My point was this:  If the people dont give the power to the banks, then they have no power.  This is similar to the idea of everyone moving their money from giant wall st banks to local community banks or credit unions.  Suddenly, the banks have no power. 

If people didnt overleverage themselves to death, then the banks would be stuck, as there would only be a max amount of capital they could lend.  If everyone personally only borrowed within their means, then the banks would have been far more liquid and able to handle the contraction.  Without people willing to borrow, the only way the money expands is if the government doesnt borrow it into existance.  In effect, this system might actually work if a) people didnt over extend themselves and b) our government spending/debt was kept in check.  I blame the people for voting either red or blue only for so long and not taking the time to investigate other options.  I blame the people for voting in Frank Barney and others again and again regardless.  I blame the people for this mess - for they have allowed the government to overspend, and given power the super banks via overleveraging themselves.

In the same way, the US is now exposed to Russian economic warefare.  The US is like a global citizen, who because of its debt has exposed itself to the evils of usury and other economic injustice.  If the US would stay within its means, this exposure would be minimal, just as it is between individuals in the US and the US banking system.

The system is dumb and set up by those who benefit from usury, I get it, and I agree it should be changed.  But, to say the people were not a huge factor in this problem is not reality.

V's picture
V

Back when I was 17 my future father in law told me something I will never forget. ' I f you borrow a little you have a creditor. If you borrow a lot you have a partner."

He was a CPA btw.

I believe everything Henry Paulson says. Why he tried to sell me a bridge the other day. Larry is right he is just covering his bottom.

China and Russia to a lesser extent are divesting themselves slowly of our debt Quantitative Easing if you will. China is using their reserves to buy Africa.......best bargain on the planet. Strabes is correct blaming the people on the bottom of the pyramid is fruitless.

V

PS just ask yourself why Paulson wanted immunity included in the bailout bill?

strabes's picture
strabes
Quote:

In effect, this system might actually work if a) people didnt over extend themselves and b) our government spending/debt was kept in check.

Look at the mid-decades of the 20th century when everyone was conservative, yet small farmers across the country were destroyed since they were hostage to the banking system stripping their profits.  A small farmer making 5% profit doesn't do too well when he needs to borrow at 5% in order to buy the fuel, equipment, fertilizer to keep operating. 

This system sucks.  29 year old kids driving Maseratis, as Jim Rogers describes them, should NOT be able to legally steal from the good people of this old republic that used to do all the work and feed us. The Jeffersonian idea is dead thanks to the Hamiltonian bankers (though I don't think Hamilton understood the danger of what he was advocating...I think he was a fooled ideologue just like most of the folks working at Goldman who think they're actually adding value and building a great nation).

I agree if people didn't give power to the banks they'd have no power.  But the people gave statutory monopoly power to the banks in 1913, so there is no real ability to take the power back unless that is changed.  It's sort of like saying the people could disempower the IRS by simply not paying.  Yeah, but nobody does because they are an official arm of the government.  We can't disempower the banking establishment, at least if we want to engage in commerce and avoid poverty while the system inflates, because we're all hostage to the closed monetary system it created.  People who try to really avoid it are thrown in prison (or assaulted by a gang of corrupt police like Byron Dale was).  Even if everyone shifted money to small banks, which I'm a fan of at this point because it would specifically harm the extremely dangerous JPM Chase, they are still part of the Fed's money system, and given the Fed's statutory power, they would suck it back up to the power center...exactly what happened through the life of the Fed.  It happens naturally over the course of time as the system operates with the Wall St cartel having lower cost of business than small banks who aren't direct members of the Fed network.  It happens unnaturally given the Fed's government connection when it decides to consolidate during downturns...the Depression, all the bailouts since the 80's, especially the response to the crash of 08.  And now the FDIC just decides to directly seize small banks and consolidate them into the bigs when they want to. 

The banks are the enemy. Citizens are hostage to the credit conditions created by the banking system because that is our money at this point.

Teddy Roosevelt understood the power differential between the big barons and the people and rejected the idea that both sides of the equation are equally responsible and capable of operating in a free market that pitted JD Rockefeller and JP Morgan against my great grandma.  He saw a need for government to actually exist and defend the republic's structure against the financial/corporate empire trying to takeover.  Unfortunately politicians since then let the republic die as states were completely overpowered by Wall St and the mega corporations.  States are irrelevant today except in defining our tribal loyalties on college football Saturdays.

Quote:

the US is now exposed to Russian economic warefare

Yes but that's after the fact.  Americans had better not get suckered by this and suddenly blame Putin and the BOC for our coming economic troubles.  TPTB will try to pull that foolery.  Don't buy that Sham-wow!  This was a deliberate setup.  Our politicians were just being stupid borrowing and borrowing (I agree with you there rickets!), but the financial powers behind the central banks and Treasury knew exactly what was going on.  It was the public agenda of the Trilateral Commission long before this ever happened...tying us at the hip with Asia (we already were with Europe) and setting up the end of the dollar system. 

Strategy Praxis's picture
Strategy Praxis

Rickets

Let's also remember it was millions of Americans who were too greedy and over leveraged themselves just as the bankers did that got us into this trouble. The finger pointing is madness, the banks are scapegoats. We should be ashamed at our banks and leaders yes, but also look at ourselves, our neighbors, or families - - the ones who bought 400k homes on 65k salaries and added two giant 40k SUVs on top of that all with close to nothing down. Everyone - the banks and the individuals - mostly played within the law and rules of conduct. These rules were made less and less restrictive, and that alone caused greed and leverage. If you blame anyone, blame those who changed these rules - including people who, with good intention, made it easier for the poor and for the minorities to buy homes. Nice thought, disasterous outcome (predictably). Now, people who can afford to make their monthly payment are walking away from upsidedown mortgages in droves. These people are scum and just as low as the banks and the regulators. Why is this never mentioned in the same conversation as the evil bankers. Americans as a whole have become greedy and untrustworthy with anything economic. … Its time we all stop being so angry only at the banks and the fed. Its time we all hold our communities and individuals within accountable too. Its time to reduce our excess, its time to reign in growth. Its time for sustainability on an economic level.

I'm afraid that blaming the pawns in the system will do little to alter their behavior. They are all acting in their short-term self-interests. This situation is so common. You see it everywhere.

Rickets: "Now, people who can afford to make their monthly payment are walking away from upsidedown mortgages in droves. These people are scum and just as low as the banks and the regulators."

This is what is likely going through their mind:

Why should I continue to pay my overpriced mortgage while my house drops in value? I could rent for less. Neighbor John down the street will not continue to pay their overpriced mortgage. They will default and there will be another foreclosure and my house will drop further in value. Why should I be the only good guy. Good guys finish last.

Of course, if everyone does this, everyone will suffer in the LONG run and everyone will pay the price in the LONG run. Why aren’t bankers lending to their communities? This is what is likely going through their mind:

Why should I continue to lend money to businesses in our failing economy and further put the balance sheet of our bank at risk? There are safer investments. Banker John down the street surely won’t lend to the community. Businesses in the community are going to fail, commercial real estate will go bust, unemployment will go up followed by foreclosures and credit card defaults. Why should I be the only good guy. Good guys finish last.

Of course, if everyone does this, everyone will suffer in the LONG run and everyone will pay the price in the LONG run. I can give dozens more examples. This represents a template of common behavioral patterns for a system with specific types of feedback loops. You can blame the pawns in the system all you want, but it will do little to change the behavior.

My blog discusses a few common templates, typically known as system archetypes. This is similar to Tragedy of the Commons:

Tragedy of the Commons

I agree with you that this behavior is undesirable and needs to be changed, but that is easier said than done. You will need to completely alter the incentives that are built into the system and build the sense of community values that this country had at a time in history not long ago.

Rickets: "My point was this: If the people dont give the power to the banks, then they have no power. This is similar to the idea of everyone moving their money from giant wall st banks to local community banks or credit unions. Suddenly, the banks have no power."

An analogy would be shopping at big box stores instead of local mom and pop businesses. If the people don’t give the power to the big box stores, then they have no power. The problem is that they are incentives built into the system to encourage this.

From my perspective this system didn’t emerge on its own. It was deliberately engineered to work this way. If you look closely, you can see deliberate strategy at work. The system produced great wealth for the people who engineered it – FOR A TIME. Read Tragedy of the Commons. The time is now up and the very system that has created great wealth for a few is going to destroy great wealth for everyone. If you are going to play the blame game – and I don’t see how that will reach a resolution of this challenge – do you affix equal blame on the major players who engineered the system along with the pawns who got played? I sense your extreme frustration and can sympathize. Unfortunately, this challenge is going to take very significant ingenuity to manage.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Strategy Praxis

Welcome!

Nice to have you aboard.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments