Is the Economic Crisis a Bad Thing?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Is the Economic Crisis a Bad Thing?

For quite some years now, I've felt out of sync with my peers.  After 9/11, I was frequently shouted down when I decried the abuses of the Patriot Act.  No one seemed to share my apprehension about the ridiculous bloating of home size and luxuries.  It seemed I was alone in being disturbed by Americans' infatuation with absurd luxuries . . . heated towel racks . . . really, did this make sense in a world where children starved every day?  I was completely in the dark when conversation turned to last night's sitcom . . . I had stopped watching television in 1995.

I was thought odd because I really didn't feel any connection with the price tag of the car I drove.  It was interesting to me that my coworkers thought my 10-year-old car was evidence that I was broke.  Meanwhile, my entire paycheck was saved, while we lived on my husband's income, in an appropriately sized, but paid-for home. 

Yes, the title I chose to give this forum is a bit cynical . . . but for me, there has been a silver lining in all of this.  For once, I'm not looking like the crazy one.  The question is, now that the insanity of the modern "American way" is exposed, will people be contrite and seriously examine their values, , , or will they hold on to those values, and just become more vicious in their attempts to hold on to an unsustainable fantasy world?

stevekane111's picture
stevekane111
Re: Is the Economic Crisis a Bad Thing?

From a Climate Change perspective, I think the current economic crisis is a good thing. If the economy declines our carbon emissions are sure to decline, as well. In fact our consumption, in general, will decline, maybe significantly, maybe drastically, something that in our wildest dreams could not have been put through global governments.  That the decline will be painful and likely inequitable is not sufficient to disregard its benefits.  It will not, of itself, change people's sense of entitlement.  They will be howling in the streets before long asking for their vacations and BMWs back. Personally, I'm more worried about food.

Gadfly's picture
Gadfly

Definition of Crisis according to Dictionary.com:

" condition of instability or danger, as in social, economic, political, or international affairs, leading to a decisive change. "

Here are some synonyms: big trouble,catastrophe, disaster, etc.....

Does this answer your question?

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

I'm sad to say that in many places, it'll be more of the latter than the former. I hope you saved up enough for a gun. :(

strabes's picture
strabes

One can see some benefits to the crisis, but you can't ignore the inevitable starvation, riots, death that will occur globally. It will be painful. 

BSV's picture
BSV

Please allow me to take this thread in a slightly different direction. Suppose you have prepared adequately for hard times by stocking up on food & essentials, by putting in a garden and doing the other things necessary to survive in a gloomy scenario. Let's assume that you have stockpiled an adequate supply of food and essentials and can anticipate growing enough food to sustain you and a small number of people (family and friends) in future.

Then, assume that you have dear friends who did not take the warnings seriously and who have not prepared. You care about these people. Are you willing to let them starve or will you share your limited stocks of food and essentials with them?

Suppose that you have prepared adequately and have the means to protect what you have grown and stockpiled. Would you really be willing to shoot starving strangers who are desparately trying to survive by stealing your food? Suppose hungry neighbors come calling and ask for help. How will you respond?

Suppose that you have prepared adequately and as a result are declared to be a criminal "hoarder" by the federal, state or local government and given an amnesty opportunity to turn in all your accumulated foodstocks. How would you respond? I hope we don't have to confront these issues but it may happen that we must. It is better to think these issues through beforehand.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
c1oudfire wrote:

<snip>

I was thought odd because I really didn't feel any connection with the price tag of the car I drove.  It was interesting to me that my coworkers thought my 10-year-old car was evidence that I was broke.  Meanwhile, my entire paycheck was saved, while we lived on my husband's income, in an appropriately sized, but paid-for home.

My compliments - from my perspective you were doing just the right thing.

c1oudfire wrote:

Yes, the title I chose to give this forum is a bit cynical . . . but for me, there has been a silver lining in all of this.  For once, I'm not looking like the crazy one.  The question is, now that the insanity of the modern "American way" is exposed, will people be contrite and seriously examine their values, , , or will they hold on to those values, and just become more vicious in their attempts to hold on to an unsustainable fantasy world?

I think, in many cases, it will make people more appreciative of what they have. As has been noted elsewhere on this site, Chris Martenson and family gave up a financially comfortable, yet unsatisfying, lifestyle and moved into a simpler, less encumbered, existence and their happiness/satisfaction quotient rose significantly. There is much to be said for that and it would be nice if all of us were able to find a community such as the Martenson's did.

Unfortunately, there will also be that slice of Americana that perpetually holds their hands out demanding to be taken care of. They will not be too happy when they find themselves cast adrift. Those will be the bad times and I hope I'm not near any of those communities when they come unglued.

strabes's picture
strabes

BSV, I've wondered about those same issues.  If the situation is going to that level, especially the last paragraph about our equivalent of Hitler's SS declaring you a hoarder, I'd rather get out of here now and move to New Zealand.  I just can't figure out a way to put a probability on it to decide if it's high enough to leave family/friends.  I don't know if states will fight against the feds and follow through on their new commitments to the 10th amendment.  If that happens, we have a chance of avoiding tyrannical control.  We'd still have to deal with starving neighbors, but I'd be more than willing to stay and figure out ways to come together in community to help them.  There's opportunity for love, redemption, and blessing in that.  Tyranny however only brings hatred, control, and darkness.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Regional turmoil as Queensland carrier collapses
Matt O'Sullivan
March 16, 2009

http://business.smh.com.au/business/20090315-8ywi.html

THE nation's regional aviation sector has been dealt another blow after
the Queensland carrier SkyAirWorld had all of its aircraft repossessed.

Joining a growing list of casualties in the sector, SkyAir-World called
in the corporate paramedics on Friday owing tens of millions of dollars.
The carrier will almost certainly not fly again as its only remaining
assets include tools, spare parts and an air operator's certificate.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Arthur Vibert's picture
Arthur Vibert

It will be bad for some, good for others. I live in an affluent county in Northern California and I am astonished at the number of people I know who are breathing a sigh of relief because they no longer feel compelled to "compete" in the materialism game as in, "who has the newest German automobile, who took the best vacation to the most exotic locale, who has their kid in the most expensive school with the best and most expensive tutor, psychiatrist, etc."

We have a modest house and (thankfully) never got caught up in the game. I think many who did are exhausted by it, in large part because of the profound shallowness and meaninglessness of it. If the crisis has a good side, it's just that - showing people that there are far more important things in life than acquisition and consumption.

Most people, sadly, still haven't gotten this message and will continue to assume that the battery operated car, or windmills or little green men will let it go back to the way it was. The ones who are looking back are the ones who will have the hardest time.

Arthur 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

You should feel vindicated for being fiscally responsible and sensible.  Had you been watching TV, you may have ended up wasting money on junk like I did - 60" TV with surround sound (I love sports on TV).  But, at least we stayed away from using our home as an ATM. 

I think we should take responsibility as it is merited but we should also remember, our monetary system is a scam - doomed to fail from the start.  We are going to see a great financial awakening that will be nothing less than a revolution.

Larry 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments