Earthquake News--Chile

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Earthquake News--Chile

An 8.8 earthquake has shaken Chile, the city of Concepcion, population about 200,000 lies closest to the epicenter. An ongoing thread relating to the earthquake, and your sentiments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Reuters:

* Quake kills at least 122 people

Stocks

* Buildings toppled, bridges and roads damaged

* Operations halted at two major copper mines (Updates with death toll, adds details)

By Alonso Soto

SANTIAGO, Feb 27 (Reuters) - A huge magnitude-8.8 earthquake struck Chile early on Saturday, killing at least 122 people, knocking down homes and hospitals, and triggering a tsunami that rolled menacingly across the Pacific.

TV Chile reported that a 15-storey building collapsed in the hardest-hit city of Concepcion, where buildings caught fire, major highway bridges collapsed and cracks opened up in the streets. Cars turned upside down lay scattered across one damaged bridge

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSNLDE61Q02O20100227?type=marketsNews

saxplayer00o1's picture
saxplayer00o1
Re: Earthquake News--Chile

"CNN reports a 40-metre wave has hit the small island of Juan Fernandez, 700 kilometres off the coast of Chile. Tsunami alerts have been issued for 53 countries. They cover virtually all nations on the entire Pacific rim as well the islands of the Pacific Ocean, including Fiji, Nauru, the Solomons, Vanuatu, Kermadec Island, the two Samoas,Tonga, Kiribati, and the Cook Islands."

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

I'm on the West Coast and we've got alarms going along the beaches.
It's all over the local news. I'll post up if there is anything to report on the WA/OR coast.

Cheers,

Aaron

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Goldman Sachs:

Consensus estimates for the tsunami in Hawaii is for 3-4 foot waves on a seasonally adjusted basis. Excluding one time charges, it is possible to see the waves come in 1ft less then the consensus estimate.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

My mom and stepdad happen to be on the Big Island of Hawaii right now at a place close to the beach.  They sent word that they moved up the hill to stay with friends just in case, and that they'd fill me in on what they see.  The wave(s) should have hit by now, but I haven't heard back from them yet on what they saw (if anything).  In the next few hours it should be hitting coastal Alaska, but expectations are the tsunami waves there will be less severe.

- Nickbert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments