Earth 2100

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
keelba's picture
keelba
Earth 2100

I've been wondering all morning if someone was going to start a thread but finally decided I'd start my own.

Did anyone watch the program "Earth 2100" last night on ABC? I admit I was skeptical at first and didn't want to watch it, especially after watching "Un-Broke" last week. But I must say this program did a great job of pointing out today's issues and showed the possible consequences if we do not work to solve them now. They talked about every issue pertaining to the two "E's", environment and energy but I was a little disappointed that they did not really discuss the third E, economy.

No matter, though. There was enough in there to scare anyone into taking the first two problems seriously. I cannot remember all of the issues but some of them were: lack of renewable energy and consumable energy running out, lack of water, lack of food, lack of biodiversity in crops, climate change, overpopulation, disease and more. Any one of these is a big enough challenge on its own but when combined they create a very toxic brew and paint a very ugly picture of our future.

But they did not leave you completely depressed and on a down note. They did plant seeds of hope and showed how the year 2100 could be the best year in history, if only we'd work towards that goal today.

I do not know if ABC has any plans to encore the show but they really should. If there is another way to watch it, perhaps on youtube or through purchase, I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum
Re: Earth 2100

keelba,

I didn't see the entire show.  I started watching about half way through.  And I was not paying complete attention but what I did see should have been eye opening to anyone not in the know about the 2 Es.  I liked the story telling and the cardboard cut out animation look.

However, I think the show was ultimately weak and misleading.  The time lines about certain events were so unrealistic.  They didn't talk about Peak Oil at all.  And a story like this without any discussion of economics, especially how the central banking systems works, is actually useless.  This was typical MSM.

Broadspectrum

jneo's picture
jneo

I watch it this morning and I am amazed at how the society of the future was still trying to solve problems based on a Monetary system.  

When the earth was slowly coming to an end ie. resources, the Idiotic leaders of this country and others tried to solve our social problem in a monetary thought process.  It showed how basically you would have class differences on a massive scale.  We never stop and realize how we are all depended on each other.  The business man needs the consumer for example just like how the hearth needs blood.  

Since the Monetary system promotes the misuse of Resources and a certain degree of planned obsolescence.  It's no wonder why we the planet is in the shape it is in and our resources.

Instead of thinking long term, people think short term gain through the convictions of a Monetary system.  You gain more by working together not competing.  

Fundamentally what is more important, 1. A sustainable planet and way of life or 2. Stock markets, bonds, money.  If the resources are quickly vanishing, a Dollar bill or Bond will not plant a seed for you or quench your thirst.  

We need to change the way we think.  

Taking out Planned Obsolescence

Having Good Nutrition 

Have built in Redundancy along with efficiency and sustainability.  This is a good platform to follow for the BIGGEST INCENTIVE of them all SURVIVAL!!!!!

keelba's picture
keelba

What did you think about the part that showed the mock summit they had? For those that did not see the show, apparently an actual mock summit was conducted by top officials from countries all around the world to simulate what would happen if there were a real and immediate global threat such as climate change that required worldwide cooperation. The Chinese said they would love to be more green but required technology that private enterprise in the West had ownership of. The Western countries refused to force these private companies to hand over their technological secrets in the name of free enterprise. Eventually, the Chinese walked away without an agreement. In this case, greed won and the world lost.

rhare's picture
rhare

I watched 1/2 of it (the second half) and found it to be complete rubbish.  It was a giant advertisement for more government spending and interference, which would most likely result in more moral hazard and unintended consequences.  It also portrays that the government still has this endless supply of money to make changes.    It continues to lull the public into thinking that technology and a few solar panels are going to solve the problem without even bringing up the fact that the US is broke, can't afford to do any of these changes, and that in 5 years, the US won't be the leader or the problem.  It will have to be China and India with their very large increasing middle class populations.

I'm really surprised it wasn't on NBC since this felt like a giant ad for GE's cap-n-trade/green engineering business masquerading as a news/public interest program.  I'm curious who is behind the program and what financial interest they are deriving from this blatant "infomercial".

My .02.

-- Rob

jneo's picture
jneo

Like I said What is more important, Market Share or Survival?  The Money Masters and Elite of the world have their back up plan we are on our own.  

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Earth 2100?!! - What about even Earth 2015!

I think we are now at the point where we cannot look much beyond five years ahead let alone 100, 50 or even 20 years.

If a major global conflict was to develop the timeline could be even less.

The world at the moment has reached critical mass and probably the tipping point concerning the financial markets and monetary systems.

The United States push into the Middle East and Central Asia is soley purposed on consolidate it's energy requirements into the 21st century. This not already costly in its current form but may spin out of control in an all out conflict with one or more super powers ie China or Russia.

If anyone has read 'The Grand Chessboard' by Zbigniew Brzezinkski then the above will make more sense.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

It was MSM propaganda at it's best!  I watched the first 15 minutes and said "brainwash~!"

keelba's picture
keelba

Brainwash?

We are here on Chris Martenson's forums. I assume we have all seen and agree with the Crash Course. Are we saying that none of these problems are real threats: energy, food production, water, overpopulation, crop biodiversity and climate change? Doesn't the Crash Course talk about the 3 E's as all being very serious challenges in our near future? Of course no one can predict the future. There are an infinite number of possible outcomes 100 years from now but the video tried to show how these problems can escalate and feed off each other. Just like the magic drop of water, just because things don't look all that bad now doesn't mean they can't get very, very bad, very, very quickly.

Of all these problems, the one that is really the biggest threat and will be the undoing of our entire global way of life is energy. If we do not do something about our energy problems then everything else will crumble. Don't worry about where the money is going to come from. What is money? CM says that money is a claim on human labor. I disagree with that statement slightly because it is possible to trade human labor for machine labor, animal labor, computer labor, etc., although one might argue that it was human labor that built those machines, raised those animals or programmed those computers. Nonetheless, I believe a more succinct definition is that money is a claim on work. As long as we have the ability to do unlimited amounts of work we can do just about anything we want. Energy is what drives this work and as long as we have energy, we will have money, as much as we need.

We humans can endure almost anything, as long as we have time to deal with it. With an unlimited amount of energy we can create an artificial sun and grow plants in any climate, any weather and any place including underground. With an unlimited amount of energy we can easily desalinate the oceans' endless supply of water and can pump or transport that water to anyplace on Earth. With an unlimited amount of energy we can build buildings of any size, put in environmental controls and make them as comfortable as we want and house as many people as we want. We can create any amount of heat or cooling to live anywhere and in any climate but it all takes energy and work.

Mankind must find a new form of energy that can sustain our way of life or we will lose our way of life. The video Earth 2100 clearly showed why that is. One of the worst moments in the video was near the end where she described how the power was going out, at first intermittently and then completely and with it, the Internet. And with the collapse of the Internet went the collective knowledge of mankind up to that point too. That will be the beginning of the new Dark Ages.

I'm sorry if you watched the video or any part of it and did not get the message. I am one of the most skeptical people I know and was wondering throughout who made it and what was their purpose but in the end I felt that they did a very good job with it and whatever their ulterior motives might be, they didn't matter. I would imagine there are people out there that watch the Crash Course and think that it is all just an attempt to brainwash us into submission but that is something we all must decide for ourselves.

--Kevin

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Hi Kevin,

Yes, if one has seen the CC and understands the 3 Es then those issues are threats.  I doubt anyone in these forums would disagree in general terms but as we have also discovered, there are specific facts of the 3 Es that must be considered.

And as has been discussed also in these forums, seemingly unlimited cheap fossil fuel energy has brought our civilization to the brink of self destruction.  The illusion of a world of perpetual 4% economic growth has caused enormous overconsumption.  Cheap energy has driven the global economy, allowing it to grow as it has.  The global economy, let alone the US economy, cannot grow as has become expected without the cheap energy.  Yet the show had NYC prospering in 2070 but on the verge of destruction because the sea levels were rising higher than the sea walls that they had spent HUNDREDS of BILLIONS on constructing.  Or how about the desalination plants in San Diego which cost HUNDREDS of BILLIONS.  This is not being built now in 2009 so where is CA or SD County for that matter going to get that money to build anything that CA needs.  The State of CA is as broke as the.....USA.

That's why I said in post #2 that this show was only about 2 of the 3 Es, energy & environment.  They had totally left out the economics.  The sad part is that even though everyone is talking about hundreds of billions of dollars in these bailouts and deficits in the trillions there is NO money.  Is it any wonder that persons are confused.  People ask, "What do you mean there isn't any money?"  And even if there was the money, the correct priorities would have to be set upon what the money is to be spent.  I didn't see the part about the Council or whatever, so I won't comment on that part. 

And don't forget you need raw materials to make things.  Oil is not the only resource of which the planet is running out. 

As I said, it would be an eye opener...BUT What was missing was any sense of URGENCY.  The time lines are too far out which while the drama of the girl unfolding is very gripping it allows the viewer to feel as if there's plenty of time to solve these problems.  There were also some very incorrect statements about climate change that were made and some other perpetuation of other myths that reinforce the main stream perception that all is well for now...thus the brainwashing feeling.

Everything we allow into our consciousness, sub or otherwise, is a form of brainwashing.  I use the term "The Domestication of the Human Animal".  On the most basic level, our parents did it to us and their parents did it to them.  And if you have children you are doing it to them.  Scrubbing ones own brain is the true beginning point of attaining true awareness of self and environment and purpose.  Consciously deciding on what you want in there...it's a fine line and not easy.  

Hopefully, if the movie did anything at all, it has led other seekers on the road to change.  And maybe when they do a SCROOGLE http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm search on the show, the Chris Martenson web site link will be part of their search return.  Then that person finds and TAKES the CC.  Then we might have some of the exponential growth that we truly need...growth of human awareness and consciousness.  I at least have that hope.

Broadspectrum  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments