Is the DVD coming this week?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
Is the DVD coming this week?

I'm hosting my regular community "Three Es" meeting on Saturday and I'd love to show the final chapter of the Crash Course.  I'm just wondering if the DVD will be released and made available for download by Friday?  If not I need to make other arrangements.  Thanks!

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: Is the DVD coming this week?

Hi switters,

I'm sorry to report that you should probably make a backup plan. There is still a possibility that we will release the disc this week, but I can't promise it.

Here's the status: The disc is basically "done", according to our DVD Mastering contractor. He doesn't have a fast enough Internet connection to torrent it to us, so he's going to FedEx the disc to me today, and I should have it tomorrow. If all goes well and FedEx doesn't loose it.

But we really need to do a quality control review and make sure no content got lost, and that there are no problems with the disc. We also have to finalize our art contest decision and get the final artwork for the label onto the site for download.

I'm working really hard to make this happen as soon as possible - we know the holidays are coming. But this weekend or early next week is probably more likely at this point.

Some good news: We have a mass replication partner signed up, so we expect it will be possible to order DVDs in bulk and have them delivered well before Christmas. Expect a big announcement in the blog in the next few days.

Erik

switters's picture
switters

No problem, Erik.  I think I found a way to download Chapter 20 and convert it so I can play it for the group.  Thanks for your efforts.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

switters (and others),

Phew! It's been a hectic day in Crash Course DVD land. We ran into a major snafu when our DVD mastering consultant reported that he had to use a dual-layer (7+GB) disc format in order to fit the whole Crash Course onto a single disc and still get decent video quality with NTSC encoding.

I vetoed the dual-layer disc because we know that most people don't have the ability to burn that type of media on their own computers, and we want this to be easy for everyone.

It looks like we will end up leaving Ch. 20 off the disc in order to make it fit on a standard DVD. This started out as a disc space concern, but Chris and I later realized it's probably a blessing in disguise. Ch. 1-19 lays out the history of how we got here, and it's pretty timeless. But it probably makes more sense to direct people to the site to view Ch. 20, because the financial landscape is changing so quickly that we may want to change what Ch. 20 says anyway.

Yes, I understand the counter-argument that some of you really want the whole thing on DVD so you can show it to a group or whatever without a net connection. We are working very hard to consider all options and priorities. Most likely there will be a 2nd version of the DVD around the first of the year addressing these problems. We feel that right now we just have to do whatever it takes to get SOMETHING out fast so that we don't miss the holiday season. Right now it looks like that will mean leaving Ch. 20 off the disc, but to be honest it's been changing hourly all afternoon.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that there could be a delay of another day or two while we sort out this mini-crisis. Please don't plan to rely on the DVD for your immediate need.

Thanks,

Erik Townsend
Business Manager
PeakProsperity.com

switters's picture
switters

Erik,

Perhaps if you offered Chapter 20 as a Quicktime file (or other format) for download on the site, that would solve both problems.  Users who want to play it without an Internet connection could do that, and it could be updated as often as desired.  When it's updated, a message could be sent to subscribers so they can download the latest version.

Just a thought! 

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Thanks switters, good suggestion.

Right now our plan is to just make some choices and get something out the door. A lot of people are waiting for this DVD, and we don't want to let them down.

Once that time pressure is off we'll re-evaluate how to best address the overall need.

Thanks again,

Erik

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments