Dr Martenson on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
chris_m's picture
chris_m
Dr Martenson on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Just a thought.  I know a lot of people watch this show because they believe that media & politicians don't always give us the most accurate representation of what's going on out there.  I think this would be an excellent venue to promote the CC & generate a lot of interest.  The host quite frequently has guests on who have points of view other that what the mainstream is promoting at the time.

Has this been tried?  Any interest?.  I'm not a 'Brigade' member but I felt I needed to put the idea out there.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Dr Martenson on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Just my opinion - but I think the undercurrent of humor that the Daily Show is would mask the importance of Chris' message. 

Stewart does a great job presenting significant "bad news" issues - but he does so in a humorous light - and when the laughter is gone, the issues are still there. 

No doubt it would reach a lot of viewers - and maybe success is measured in the handful who check out the site and watch Crash Course - but it seems to me that most people watch the Daily Show for the comedy. 

Tough one to call...........

inthelionsden's picture
inthelionsden

I say any exposure is good exposure... It would be up to chris to convey as best he could the gravity of the situation.  Humor can allow space for that in a beautiful way.

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes

Jon Stewart is a bright guy. If he decides to wrap his mind around Chris Martenson as he did with Ron Paul, the episode could be a good thing.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

1440 -

That's the challenge.  I've seen guests come on trying to be serious, Stewart toyed with them, and they were so focused on their message they didn't even know it.

chris_m's picture
chris_m

Thanks for the response Dogs but, I think it would be worth seriously considering.

The "undercurrent" of humor may only help to ease people into the idea.  Too much 'doom & gloom' I think would turn the fence sitters away but if presented with a bit of levity it may spur their curiosity enough to at least watch the CC.  After all if you can get a junkie to rehab it doesn't matter what his reasons for going are just that he's their.

I think if CM was properly prepared & didn't try to get too 'serious' but kept his message as " the next 20 yrs will be unlike the last 20" & don't get bogged down in too much of the specific factual detail an appearance could serve the purpose well which is ultimately to view the CC & start to change opinions & behaviour. 

Again worth contacting the producers of the show & at least send them the link to the CC.  The worst that can happen is a polite 'no thanks'.  I think the potential benefits far outweigh the risks.

As a backup (I'm a Canuk) there is also a show called "The Hour" in Canada.  Current events with a bit more of a serious tone but viewership is a lot smaller I think.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

I'd love to be on TDS.  That is, in fact, one of the highest goals I hold.

Of all the media out there, I think Jon Stewart could be trusted the most ot make an intelligent, if not brilliant, pass at the material.

I've seen him do it countless times with material the rest of media wouldn't even touch, such as with the child soldier/author from Africa.  

Best,
Chris

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Well off I go on a new mission akin to "Message To Garcia"

First email to TDS goes out this evening.

chris_m's picture
chris_m

Great.  Keep us posted when you have time.  Let me know if help is needed.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

I think the more people that email TDS the more likely we are to get them to at least look into it.

ByronS's picture
ByronS

I think that "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO would be a much better venue. More time could be devoted to the CC topics, and the interviews are not so heavily weighted towards getting laughs. Bill Maher pulls no punches, and is more likely to ask the tough questions.

His show this season has been dealing far more with economic issues, for obvious reasons. He even does a new segment titled "How F**cked Are We?". Good stuff.

Virtually uncensored as well.

stfrequency's picture
stfrequency

Bill Maher comes off as more bristly and elitist than Stewart, IMHO. They may be batting for the same ideological club, so to speak, but The Daily Show is substantially more altruistic in their presentation. Plus I imagine the viewership is much broader for TDS. Even Colbert would give this material a better treatment -- his reverse sarcasm is pure genius, and his audience is completely clued-in to the serious subtext.

**fingers crossed for a Crash Course appearance on Comedy Central**

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
ByronS wrote:

I think that "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO would be a much better venue. More time could be devoted to the CC topics, and the interviews are not so heavily weighted towards getting laughs. Bill Maher pulls no punches, and is more likely to ask the tough questions.

Maher has a well established track record of losing his objectivity if you are on the other side of the issue with him.  He is an entertainer who passes himself off as something of a journalist.

At least Jon Stewart clearly understands that he is a comedian and entertainer - who presents the humorous side of issues that by themselves aren't so humorous.

Just my opinion.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Hey DIAP!  Nice post on Jon Stewart's The Daily Show (TDS) Guest Suggestions!  I just added a post to your thread too.  It would be GREAT to see Chris on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart! 

Here's the link in case anyone else wants to join in: http://forum.thedailyshow.com/tds/board/message?board.id=guest-suggestions&message.id=805#M805

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Martenson Members need to Visit The Daily Show Site

It looks like every time someone replies to a Daily Show forum post it bumps back up to the top. 

Time to start flooding TDS with an endorsement of Chris for a guest.

My post - http://forum.thedailyshow.com/tds/board/message?board.id=guest-suggestions&thread.id=792

The Daily Show home page - http://www.thedailyshow.com/index.jhtml

You'll need to register and look in the Forum tab. Scroll down to Guest Suggestions to find the post.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Here is the link to where you can see DIAP's request for getting Chris on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on the Guest Suggestions queue.  Like DIAP said, it looks like it is time-ordered with those suggestions with the latest posts at the top.  So the one for Chris has now  fallen down to third, as there have been more recent posts for other suggestions.  Time for some other folks to help out and join the thread, so DIAP's request stays near the top!

http://forum.thedailyshow.com/tds/board?board.id=guest-suggestions

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Picked up another 30 reads on the post last night and a couple of replies.

I would encourage everyone to head over to The Daily Show site.

Read the post (links provided in the above posts) and consider posting a reply encouraging TDS to get Chris on as a host.

I'll be posting to this thread every so often to keep it on the radar screen.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Reposting to get back on the margin.

Good response so far - we need more people to comment on The Daily Show site to have a chance at getting Chris on as a guest.

grl's picture
grl

Dogs, I tried yesterday and today to register as a member with TDS so I could post a comment. I tried on different browsers, enabled cookies etc and something is stopping me from registering with TDS cite. Could be my firewall but I doubt it. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Lisa,

I did too at first.  I have Vista and had to search near the top bar of the browser I use - (Internet Exploder, er, Explorer) and allow pop-ups from the site.  Minor annoyance, but once I turned off the pop-up blocker for The Daily Show site, I was able to get in and register.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

I just added my .02...let's keep the posts going!!!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Thanks joe -

(Another excuse to post and keep the thread visible)  Cool

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Another update -

120+ views and the thread just went hot - now marked in orange.

Thanks for helping out.  Hit it with some more posts when you get the chance.

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes
Lisa G wrote:

Dogs, I tried yesterday and today to register as a member with TDS so I could post a comment. I tried on different browsers, enabled cookies etc and something is stopping me from registering with TDS cite. Could be my firewall but I doubt it. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

I had the same problem.  Don't know why, and don't remember what happened.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Thank you DIAP and everyone!

I have the deepest respect for the Aikido moves that Jon Stewart and his team of writers have managed to pull off over the years.

It's Zen-like even; "When is fake news more real than real news?"

If the universe is listening....

On another note, a UK TV producer recently called and is actively mulling the notion of somehow converting the Crash Course material into something that could resonate with their audience...all very preliminary at this stage of course, but I think this indicates that there's an opening here and I am hopeful that we'll soon break through into the TV realm in a larger way.

crazyhorse's picture
crazyhorse

Just joined (TDS page) so I could keep the thread going.  Hope it helps to get the message out!

grl's picture
grl
Lisa G wrote:

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Lisa,

I did too at first.  I have Vista and had to search near the top bar of the browser I use - (Internet Exploder, er, Explorer) and allow pop-ups from the site.  Minor annoyance, but once I turned off the pop-up blocker for The Daily Show site, I was able to get in and register.

Thanks Dogs, it worked and I added my comment.

Congrats Chris on the contact from the U.K. - hope it turns into something BIG! 

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes

joemanc,

Love your signature line.  A Ron Paul fan like me

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes

Done.  Hope Chris appears on the Daily Show.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Just added my 3 cents!

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Done!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments