8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Davos's picture
Davos
JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Door #1 or Door #2

Hi Davos,

Just reading it now....be back in 15 hours to comment.

PS: I think I might owe you a few beers, the dollar does not look like its going to rebound anytime soon.

All the best....Jeff

Davos's picture
Davos

Sounds good, but I drink books so I'll buy the next round. Took me 75 minutes to read that. I have NO idea which door I'd pick. Take care

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Davos,

Facinating reading.

I have to go now my flight to Manila is being called.

Ken

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

I dunno.......  sounds just like another conspiracy theory you Americans are so fond of!!

Mike

JAG's picture
JAG

I think it might be a revolving door....very interesting read indeed. The question is, are our gold coins made from a golden buddha statue? That could be some bad Karma...Surprised 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

An interesting read.  I'd imagine big chunks of the Yamashita story are true.  For an alternative ending to the story of Gen. Y's Gold, trying reading "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson.  A ripping good yarn, and the sort of speculative fiction that makes you feel smarter at the end of the day.

Viva -- Sager

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Davos,

Thanks for this interesting post.  I have a great deal of personal interest in Yamashita’s gold as my father was in the Philippines before General Douglas MacArthur's return.  He was in counterintelligence (CIC) under MacArthur, who did not want any OSS involvement.  Both the CIC and the OSS were precursors to the CIA and a lot of the personnel were transferred / recruited after the war.

His official mission was to support the guerrillas, interrogate their officer prisoners and to gather intelligence as to what the Japanese army and navy were doing.  He never discussed the war or his clandestine work with anyone but he shared a number of stories with me.  We had some great discussions that helped shape my view of the world.

The OSS was primarily in Europe and worked closely with the counterintelligence agencies of the European allies.  The CIC only worked with British counterintelligence.  And towards the end of the war, they began secretly working with some wealthy elite families in Japan.   

Most of the Asian CIC activities were staged and coordinated out of Australia.  Some of the CIC agents, like my dad, were trained and deployed out of New Guinea.  Which makes sense as the jungle training environment is better suited.  In addition, I've read that the CIC agents from New Guinea had a second chain of command, more directly linked to MacArthur's staff. 

Back to your question...Door #1 or #2?  I can say with some certainty that the Philippines served as a staging area for huge amounts of Japanese gold that was stolen from Asia.  I think it is safe to say that when MacArthur landed, the U.S. already knew where most, if not all the gold was hidden.  There were a number caves and other hidden stashes through-out the Philippine islands.

In choosing Door #2, I want to add that I think the outcome suggested by Door #1 is more likely.  And this brings up another point; where did the gold go?  My opinion is that the booty was secretly divided up with the recipients being U.S. and British intelligence agencies (CIA and MI5 are obvious but I would suggest at least two more secret agencies were born), influential Japanese insiders that helped secure Japan as an advanced post for U.S. forces and the Marcos family in the Philippines.

I would be greatly surprised if this gold suddenly resurfaced to be sold in the market.

Larry             

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments