Don't Kill The Goats: Starve the "Milker"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
Don't Kill The Goats: Starve the "Milker"

So in an attempt to recognize one of the many things that I have learned from this community, I wanted to discuss an excerpt from the Alpha Strategy, written 30 years ago by John A. Pugsley (H/T Mooselick). This particular section summarizes the problem with trying to affect change via the political system.

Throwing the bad guys out is not the answer, because the bad guys are not in office to begin with. Politicians and bureaucrats are not your problem. They never have been and they never will be. Your life is being disrupted, and your property stolen, not by the politicians and bureaucrats, but by the people who hire them. It is not the man at the microphone, but the people in line. This is why the sting has been so incredibly successful for such a vast span of time: attention has always been focused on the political process, and the attack has always been aimed in that direction. 

Pretend for a moment that you have cultivated a cabbage patch on your island, and Maynard has some goats. Every night Maynard opens your gate and lets his goats into your yard, and each night they feast on your cabbages. You decide to approach the problem by appealing to reason. You put together your arguments about how this is ruining your garden, stifling your incentive to grow cabbages, and will hurt the whole neighborhood in the end. You then walk out of your house, march down to your garden, and have a heart-to-heart talk with his goats. 

A ridiculous approach, you say? Of course. While the goats are the ones who eat your cabbages, 

Maynard is the one who milks the goats. In the end, he is the beneficiary of their theft—he is the culprit who must be dealt with. Even if you find a way to communicate with the goats, it will not help. No matter how many goats you succeed in winning over to your point of view, the moment a goat sees the light and agrees to stop eating your cabbages, Maynard will stop getting milk. Immediately, Maynard will rid himself of that goat and replace it with another one that will eat your cabbages again. So it is with politicians. Even if you convince one to stop plundering you, he will be quickly replaced.

And this excerpt summarizes a more effective approach to changing our country:

Step One is to defend you own wealth. Saving real wealth protects your wealth against the predators, and is a first and important step in making it unprofitable for them to continue their actions. The Alpha Strategy has positive steps that every individual can take immediately.

Step Two is to make the plunderers aware that you have caught on to their game. Your time and energy are limited, so don't waste them on any efforts to fight the government, or government policies. Remember, government is a decoy. Direct all your attention to exposing the real thieves. This can be done in many ways. For example, when you hear about a company requesting a subsidy from the government, don't write to your politician. Write, instead, to the president of that company, and tell him just exactly what you think about his action. When you hear about a business lobbying for a tariff, or a regulation to inhibit competition, bypass your politician. Contact that company directly and let its owners know how you feel. When you find a union pleading for laws to prevent other laborers from competing for jobs, let your voice be heard—not by your congressman, but by the members of that union. Remember that many of these individuals do not even understand that their use of government is actually theft. Explain your position clearly, and ask them to stop. 

Everyone knows how difficult it is to get the attention of politicians. Businessmen, however, have a much more direct and immediate stake in what you have to say. When you find one trying to destroy his competitor with government force, tell him that you know exactly what he is doing, and that you will boycott his products and publicize his theft until he stops. It is that simple. When customers begin boycotting products, businessmen must pay attention.

Rather than send a lobbying team to pressure the politicians into changing laws in your favor, instead devote energy to analyzing the lobbying efforts of others. Find out who is pressuring the politicians for special privilege, and then go directly to those individuals. Pull away the cloak of government that they are hiding behind, and expose them for everyone to see. If enough people start pointing the finger of responsibility in the right direction, at the people who are really the thieves and swindlers, future history books will mark that point as the beginning of change. 

Step Three is to alert your friends and neighbors to the nature of the sting, and to all of the confidence games being promoted in this economic carnival. Alert them to the direction from which the attack is coming, so that they can begin to defend their wealth, and work with you to build the barricades in the right place. If you believe this book has been effective in arguing the case for a free market and exposing the sting, recommend it to them. Or write one yourself. 

The next decade promises to be the most turbulent decade in this century. The plunder is mounting. The die is cast. The economic storms are unavoidable, and the outcome for most individuals will be the destruction of their wealth. 

There is only one alternative to a world of inflation, recession, social conflict, and war: it is a theft-free society. The concept is not utopian. It is consistent with all the laws of economics laid down in Chapter One, and it is in perfect harmony with the principles of evolution. It can be realized, and eventually it will be realized. Whether this theft-free society is achieved in your lifetime or mine depends on how well we each defend our wealth. 

So go to work, and good luck.

IMO, the important aspect of this plan is identifying those entities that are lobbying the politicians and economically boycotting them. This would mean each individual would refuse to do business with them. Any corporation that lobbies for its needs over the needs of the people (milking the system) should be economically starved. Its public stock should be shorted by the people, and its competition supported. 

Why bother with the politicians (goats)? Attack those that benefit from political policy.

Jeff

(Wow, you can see for miles from atop of this soapbox....my apologies)

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Re: Don't Kill The Goats: Starve the "Milker"

JAG,

While I agree that these corporations are bloodsuckers and should be reigned in, I've learned here are Martenson University that it's the FED with their debt money that is the bigger problem. It seems like the  billions stolen by the corporations is chump change next to the trillions stolen by the FED and kleptocracy run by TPTB behind the scenes. They are the real problem.   IMHO.

JAG's picture
JAG

Earthwise,

I think you overlook that the Fed is a corporation, its the world's largest private bank.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Why don't you just milk the goats when they come to eat your cabbages?

goldrunner1's picture
goldrunner1

How about a system where we own the goats and tell them what cabbage they can eat.

earthwise's picture
earthwise

JAG responds:

Earthwise,

I think you overlook that the Fed is a corporation, its the world's largest private bank.

You are right. I did. Another lesson learned at CMU.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Jag.

Thanks for that post. I'm going to get a copy of that book.

What if we just poisioned the cabbage?

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Remove the cabbages......  stop servicing your debts.

The milkers will soon starve.

Mike

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Don't poison the cabbage... the goats are pretty much just doing what is in their nature.  Spike a few cabbages with some high-strength laxatives instead and feed it to them shortly before they wander back to their keeper's property.  I doubt anyone would have the stomach to milk the goats that day Laughing

Come to think of it, the 'strategic defaults' some homeowners are doing is much like feeding laxatives to the goats.  It makes the politicians (goats) uncomfortable and look bad, while creating a big mess for Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, etc (the 'milkers').

- Nickbert

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

The possibility that Jesus was not a myth and did no miracles, but was killed for promoting the Jubilee year, and attention diverted from the whole messy affair by making it look like he had performed an amazing miracle, has looked highly possible to me for many years. Certainly political radicals have been killed and lies told about them in other cases, and we need not believe in anything mystical to hold this as a possibility.

Whether or not this is true, concepts like the Jubilee year have a strong relationship to current social problems and resource use. The Jubilee year was a redistribution of land, and debts forgiven. There is nothing mythical about it, and nothing particularly unique about re-distribution of resources in tribal groups of the past. Such concepts has been generally shoved aside with the use of money, and social paradigms that people should strive to be as independent of each other as possible. Because of that we live with extremes of rich and poor,and with enormous inefficiencies in resource use and social frictions. This inefficiency could function with constant expansion around the globe to new sources of energy and materials, and with using increasing amounts of fossil fuels, but as we reach the limits of possibilty with this kind of behavior,
efficiency of social units and their use of resources becomes vital again.

There is nothing religious about this point of view. There is nothing religious about ideas of evolution and certain people being more likely to
survive the denial of the need for more efficient social structures, more rational social paradigms. Again, the things Jesus was saying, plays strongly into these ideas, with no need to involve mystical beliefs. He reportedly spoke of people surviving who did not fight with truth, who lived with greater respect for each other, not trying to live independently of each other. "Love your neighbor as yourself". He reportedly spoke of the need to consider sustainability "What man goes to build a tower without first considering the cost, if he has enough to finish it? And is laughed at if he doesn't do that?"  Not an exact quote, but that hardly matters, what is written is almost certainly not an exact quote either. People relying on the "invisible hand" of the market, have not looked ahead with any objectivity.

ao's picture
ao

Excellent post Jeff.  Thanks for bring it to our attention.  I've always enjoyed John Pugsley's editorials in the Sovereign Society newsletters ... a lot of wisdom, insight, and common sense.

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich
JAG wrote:

Why bother with the politicians (goats)? Attack those that benefit from political policy.

OK, I'm gonna go next door in the morning and let my landlord know I'm on to him. He's a multi-millionaire and he pays next to no income taxes, where as I'm getting creamed. Oh crap ... I guess I need a new place to live ...

Quote:

(Wow, you can see for miles from atop of this soapbox....my apologies)

Yeah, but I think the lack of oxygen is getting to you...                     ... my apologies, too Smile

Come on guys. This is a terrible idea. There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.  It's not even a good analogy. Politicians are nothing like goats. If they were, we wouldn't have a problem. 

Quote:

Every night Maynard opens your gate and lets his goats into your yard, and each night they feast on your cabbages. You decide to approach the problem by appealing to reason.

Here's an appeal to reason. Try putting a lock on the gate. Wink But don't stop there. They're our goats. (Remember? Of the people, by the people, for the people?) And we need to take back control of them, and properly contain them. (Constitution- limited government) Otherwise there will always just be another "Maynard."

But if anybody is the metaphorical 'goat,' it's us. We the sheeple. Politicians are not mindless, harmless, innocent dupes, as Pugsley would seem to imply. They're rational, calculating beings, fully capable of reason (some of them), and they definitely should know right from wrong. And therefore they should be held accountable. Apparently, Pugsley doesn't think the judge or the policeman taking a bribe is worth worrying about. Sorry. I'm not OK with that.

The notion that the only side of the Wall Street/Washington equation we need to worry about is Wall Street, or that we should just worry about business, and not government, IMO, is sheer folly, and will only lead to more 'goats feasting on our cabbages' (to return to Pugsley's inadequate metaphor). Remember, the Federal Reserve Act got pushed through in 1913 under the (now laughable) pretense that it would control the New York banking cabal (Maynard).

Even the idea that all the politicians (the goats) are owned seems a little misleading. Who owns Jay Rockefeller? Michael Bloomberg? And what about, for example, all these Goldman/Citigroup guys cycling in and out of government. It seems to me they're part of the management, at least. 

Quote:

It is not the man at the microphone, but the people in line. This is why the sting has been so incredibly successful for such a vast span of time: attention has always been focused on the political process, and the attack has always been aimed in that direction.

This guy was about 30 years out in front of the rest of us, so he deserves a break, but this strikes me as wrong, too. The reason the sting has been so incredibly successful is because we are so easily divided and pitted against each other, duped into believing there is an important difference between coke and pepsi, and that the other side is always to blame. No doubt this is made easier  because monopoly public education has so effectively done it's job producing compliant worker bee citizens, trusting of authority, and incapable of critical thinking.

Quote:

IMO, the important aspect of this plan is identifying those entities that are lobbying the politicians and economically boycotting them. This would mean each individual would refuse to do business with them. Any corporation that lobbies for its needs over the needs of the people (milking the system) should be economically starved. Its public stock should be shorted by the people, and its competition supported.

Fine, but just remember; no matter how many criminals you may scare off - as long as you've got a corrupt police force, you are never gonna be safe.

Cheers

Greg

JAG's picture
JAG

Greg,

I think you take your politics too seriously.....The whole point of this thread is not to take politics too seriously.

If you want to be critical of the cited book, the obvious point of attack is the following:

• The author suggest that you buy gold and silver at the beginning of what would turn out to be a 20 year bear market. As gold went from $800/oz to $250/oz twenty years later, do you think it offered a hedge against inflation? 
  • The appropriate hedge against inflation at that time was the stock market, not gold, not silver, not food, and not basic living necessities, etc.

I hoped someone would have brought up the fact that by the time this book became popular back in the eighties, the author's advice was the last approach that you would have wanted to implement. I wonder what it foretells that this advice is again so popular?

The only thing that I agreed with in the whole book was the part about not wasting your time on politics....and yet here we are arguing that insignificant point.....

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
GregSchleich wrote:

Politicians are nothing like goats. If they were, we wouldn't have a problem. 

Cheers

Greg

You mean except for being stubborn, hard-headed and full of s*&t?

In all seriousness, nice work on the rest - I always enjoy reading your posts, I may not agree with everything you put forth, but it always makes me think.

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
GregSchleich wrote:

Politicians are nothing like goats. If they were, we wouldn't have a problem.

You mean except for being stubborn, hard-headed and full of s*&t?

Dogs, to be fair, ole Dubya did seem to make a pretty good goat, come to think of it. But if you've ever seen Frank Caliendo's routine, you know he makes an even better turkey!

JAG, I hope this proves I'm not COMPLETELY humorless. I'm trying to get a few points back! Smile

But ... I do have a few more serious thoughts I hope to share later - after I get a little work done ...hopefully

Best

Greg

docmims's picture
docmims
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Why don't you just milk the goats when they come to eat your cabbages?

+1.  Are goats good on the barbie?

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich
JAG wrote:

Greg,

I think you take your politics too seriously.....  

Jeff,

Like many people on this site, I'm the farthest thing from partisan. I've got no interest in the horse race, or the jockeying for position, or the machinations that go on within the duopoly. (My candidates usually get about 2 or 3% nationally!) But if you're talking about taking the trouble to vote in local elections, then perhaps you're right. I'm part of the hand full of citizens in my region who typically vote in special district elections (No mystery how Maynard took control of the goats around here).  In my parents town, for example, the "volunteer" fire department essentially voted themselves a brand new (IMO, completely unnecessary) $5 million firehouse, in a special election in which less than 2% of registered voters participated. So I guess the other 98% agree with you. But I'm just wondering - who should I be protesting to? 

Quote:

The whole point of this thread is not to take politics too seriously.

That may be the point YOU take away from it, and it may be the direction the thread was going in too, but I think it's a significant mischaracterization of the point Pugsley was making in the posted excerpts which are the basis of the thread. Despite the humorous goat metaphor (which inspired some tongue-in-cheek responses) I don't think he was suggesting that we should all just 'lighten up'  -  'don't worry about it'  -  'don't take it too seriously.' For him to suggest, as he does, that our attention on government is misplaced - it should be directed at powerful business interests instead, is VERY different from "don't take it too seriously." I think he's as serious as a heart attack, and I think he's seriously wrong, for the reasons I cited in my earlier post.  

Quote:

If you want to be critical of the cited book, the obvious point of attack is the following:

• The author suggest that you buy gold and silver at the beginning of what would turn out to be a 20 year bear market. As gold went from $800/oz to $250/oz twenty years later, do you think it offered a hedge against inflation? 
  • The appropriate hedge against inflation at that time was the stock market, not gold, not silver, not food, and not basic living necessities, etc.

I hoped someone would have brought up the fact that by the time this book became popular back in the eighties, the author's advice was the last approach that you would have wanted to implement. I wonder what it foretells that this advice is again so popular?

I find this quite interesting, and I think it might rattle a lot of people's cages around here. It also seems to support a suspicion I've long held (and I'm guessing you may have thought of this too), which is that if we all knew what we know now, 10 or 20 years ago, we probably would have been extremely worried then, too. But it also makes me worry, if we follow Pugsley's advice, we may end up with a lot more marauding goats, in the next number of years, too.

Quote:

The only thing that I agreed with in the whole book was the part about not wasting your time on politics....and yet here we are arguing that insignificant point.....

Well then I guess the book would be a complete wash for me! ... Obviously, the question of whether or how we can ever retake our captured government, and learn to govern ourselves again, DOES NOT strike me as "insignificant," or "a waste of time," but obviously you disagree, so I'll take this to mean, for you, the debate is settled, and it's a waste of time to talk about it further.  

Best

Greg

PS: You've got about 10x as many posts as I do, so if you've got bigger fish to fry, don't let me harass you. Seriously. Sorry to have rained on the parade, here, a little bit. I mean no harm!

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

"Wasting time on politics" is a valid notion.... up to a point.  I wasted way more than my fair share before I came to my senses, but we'd only be wasting our time if we continue concentrating on "conventional" politics.  I stood in seven elections for the Australian Greens over a period around the turn of the century, but even that is "conventional" politics. 

Make no mistake, politics will never work for we the people ever again until we dismantle the Matrix.......

Will it ever happen...?  Well I'm sure not holding my breath.  The main problem remains apathy, adn I fear that when the sheeples wake up to what's going on, they won't be thinking about electing someone honest who doesn't have corporations' hands in their pockets, they'll be thinking pitch forks (or worse..!)

Like I've said in these forums more than once, the problem will remain for as long as half the population has an IQ under 100......  in other words, it'll never go away!

Mike

JAG's picture
JAG

Greg,

Nice post.  There was no parade to be "rained on" per se, I was just rambling.

Also, you should post more (and I should post less).

All the best...Jeff

PS: Thanks for the laugh with Caliendo.

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich

Jeff

Much too nice of you.  I don't think you should post less (you're a great contributor to the site), and I don't think I CAN post more. (notice I'm always a day late as it is) The funny thing is I sort of landed on this thread by accident - and it struck a nerve, I guess. Just your luck!  Nothing like running into a man on a mission! Thanks for being cool.

Best

Greg

GregSchleich's picture
GregSchleich
Damnthematrix wrote:

Make no mistake, politics will never work for we the people ever again until we dismantle the Matrix.......

Mike

I think this distills it down to the basic catch 22 we're faced with:  We can never take back the government until we dismantle the Matrix  -  And we can never dismantle the Matrix until we take back the government. 

I happen to regard taking back the government as the slightly less 'impossible' task - the reason for my rather earnest posts here.

Quote:

Will it ever happen...?  Well I'm sure not holding my breath.  The main problem remains apathy, adn I fear that when the sheeples wake up to what's going on, they won't be thinking about electing someone honest who doesn't have corporations' hands in their pockets, they'll be thinking pitch forks (or worse..!)

Well I certainly hope your worst case scenarios don't materialize, but I hold a pretty similar view. 

Quote:

Like I've said in these forums more than once, the problem will remain for as long as half the population has an IQ under 100......  in other words, it'll never go away!

Over here, our public education bureaucrats have a pretty effective way of dealing with seemingly intractable problems like this. When standardized tests fail to yield the desired results, they simply re-standardize the tests, until they do.  I'm sure the standardized IQ test could be recalibrated so that ... EVERYONE is above average!Smile

Cheers

Greg

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

I'm sure the standardized IQ test could be recalibrated so that ... EVERYONE is above average!Smile

Greg......  you made my day!  I need lots of laughs these days.

Mike

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments