Don't Believe in Miracles? Then You've Got to See This . . . .

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Don't Believe in Miracles? Then You've Got to See This . . . .

OK . . . I admit it . . . This has absolutely nothing to do with the three E's . . . But, who can resist posting this . . . I mean, it's got a speeding train, a helpless baby, and a frantic mother . . . . Hollywood couldn't do this any better . . . .

Miraculous Train Collision

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Re: Don't Believe in Miracles? Then You've Got to See This ...
Cloudfire wrote:

OK . . . I admit it . . . This has absolutely nothing to do with the three E's . . . But, who can resist posting this . . . I mean, it's got a speeding train, a helpless baby, and a frantic mother . . . . Hollywood couldn't do this any better . . . .

This has been all over the news here in Melbourne.

Yes indeed a lucky escape with the pram falling between the tracks.

The other side is the mother now has a publicity manager, has signed a media deal and is destined to tour the country and probably the world to tell the story.

Stayed tuned for an appearance on Oprah in the not too distant future!

As for Hollywood... well that's not out of the question either.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
rowmat wrote:
Cloudfire wrote:

This has been all over the news here in Melbourne.

Yes indeed a lucky escape with the pram falling between the tracks.

The other side is the mother now has a publicity manager, has signed a media deal and is destined to tour the country and probably the world to tell the story.

Stayed tuned for an appearance on Oprah in the not too distant future!

As for Hollywood... well that's not out of the question either.

Eeesh . . . I could have done without the sequel . . . . Makes ya wonder . . . Maybe this was an act of Hollywood . . . . I certainly wouldn't put it past 'em to set something up like this (with a dummy baby), to kick off a "reality" tv show . . . . Or, maybe they're just being opportunistic . . . Guess we'll never know. 

You'd think, that if this was real, that mother would be humbled . . . . Instead, she's falling for the glamor trap . . . . and possibly exposing her child to the same influences as the Jon and Kate Plus Eight scenario . . . . From one danger into another . . .

It's also such a sensationalist video tape, that I've got to wonder if it's being played over and over in Melbourne, to distract from other news, in the same way that they use Michael Jackson's death, Jon Bennet Ramsey's murder, etc, etc, etc. . . .

rowmat's picture
rowmat

These days anything that becomes a news sensation quickly finds a marketing niche and $$$$.

I would think the mother would have been approached within minutes of the story breaking with all kinds of offers for signing a contract.

Anyway she did sign up with a publicity agent and was paid to appear on a current affairs (trash news) show.

From what I saw I don't think the situation was staged and appeared it was a freak accident... but after that elaborate boy 'not' in the balloon scam you have to be aware that publicity stunts are becoming more common and in some cases quite elaborate.

There were three miners trapped in gold mine for about two weeks in Tasmania a few years back after the roof of the mine collapsed.

One was killed in the collapse and the other two survived.

It was a big story and after they were finally rescued they signed all kind of media, book and film deals worth hundreds of the thousands of dollars and went off on a world tour to tell their story. (They even appeared on Oprah)

What I really found disturbing was that the two survivors were constantly being referred to as 'heros' by the media.

Yes they were caught in a life threatening situation and were fortunate to survive... but does that automatically make them 'heros'?

I think not, but the publics perception of what is heroic has been distorted by the media to hype up and 'celebritise' people as a marketing and money making tool.

I don't think their lives are particularly good these days.

I hope the family involved in this situation don't come to regret their decision later and if I hear the media refer to the baby as a 'hero' I'll puke!

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
rowmat wrote:

If I hear the media refer to the baby as a 'hero' I'll puke!

Don't give 'em any ideas . . . Next, we'll be hearing about the baby's "super powers", and how he stopped the train, single-handedly . . . . [eye rolling] . . .

ao's picture
ao
rowmat wrote:

What I really found disturbing was that the two survivors were constantly being referred to as 'heros' by the media.

Yes they were caught in a life threatening situation and were fortunate to survive... but does that automatically make them 'heros'?

Most of our modern "heroes" are a perversion of the word.  Ever notice how many obituaries say "Smedley Doogood passed after a long and courageous fight against cancer".  Like ole Smedley had much of a choice?  I told my wife that if I ever die under similar circumstances to write, "After a cowardly, snivelling, half-hearted shouting match with cancer, ao died a miserable death and went back to the dust he came from."  My friends and family would appreciate the humor, the others would go "Huh?".

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ao wrote:
rowmat wrote:

Most of our modern "heroes" are a perversion of the word.  Ever notice how many obituaries say "Smedley Doogood passed after a long and courageous fight against cancer".  Like ole Smedley had much of a choice?  I told my wife that if I ever die under similar circumstances to write, "After a cowardly, snivelling, half-hearted shouting match with cancer, ao died a miserable death and went back to the dust he came from."  My friends and family would appreciate the humor, the others would go "Huh?".

Lol!  You've got a way with words, AO . . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Not exactly a miracle, but . . . some amazingly good luck. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

A non-zero probability is still...

non-zero. 

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Cloudfire wrote:

Not exactly a miracle, but . . . some amazingly good luck. 

I'd call it 'drunk training'.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Not a miracle by your definition,  just luck.

If your god saved this baby, why the hell did he kill all the other ones before that have been in similar situations? Bastard,

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Ed Archer wrote:

Not a miracle by your definition,  just luck.

If your god saved this baby, why the hell did he kill all the other ones before that have been in similar situations? Bastard,

This thread is meant to be a bright spot, Ed . . . and you know that I cannot properly respond to your question within the guidelines of this site.  I don't know what you are so angry about, but I sincerely doubt that it is because these two people had good outcomes to horrific circumstances.  I also doubt that anything that I say could dissuade you from your anger . . .Your words don't hurt me . . . I fully understand that there will always be people that feel as you do . . . But, I do worry that they will hurt you . . .

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Tsk, I should have added a smiley face to drain the anger out of my comment.  It was meant in a more humorous way than it came across.

I still think it is blind luck, but I'll refrain from adding anything else to that in interest of diplomacy. My words were not meant to hurt your feelings, although they also weren't designed not to either to be honest. Sealed

;)

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Ed Archer wrote:

Tsk, I should have added a smiley face to drain the anger out of my comment.  It was meant in a more humorous way than it came across.

I still think it is blind luck, but I'll refrain from adding anything else to that in interest of diplomacy. My words were not meant to hurt your feelings, although they also weren't designed not to either to be honest. Sealed

;)

I don't believe in luck myself . . . Whether "miracle" is the appropriate word is hard to say, but, if either of these incidents had happened to me, it'd sure get my attention, which, as I understand it, is one of the purposes of miracles . . .

One of the reasons that I liked both videos is that, in both cases, bystanders showed deep concern for the victims.  That's heartening in a world where bystanders often stand by and watch a catastrophe as though they're sitting in the cheap seats at the Colliseum.

Another intriguing oddity, in both videos, is that people actually reached out to touch the trains, as though they could stop them with their bare hands.  It appears that the mom actually had her hand hit by the train, and the gentleman actually reached out as though to hold it back . . . The mom reached both arms out toward her baby, lying on the tracks, as though she could will him back into her arms . . . . Just one of those touching quirks of human nature that shows how helpless we really are . . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments