Does mankind deserve a second chance?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

I have a couple questions for people to ponder.  I have,  actually, thought a lot about these questions:

1. Does man deserve a second chance after destroying our environment?
  2. Do we deserve another chance when we have been so selfish?
  3. Do we deserve another chance for all the misery we have caused in the world?
  4. Does a certain portion of the population need to go away as our world can not support so many people?

Heavy questions have tough answers.

sosMsos's picture
sosMsos
Re: Does mankind deserve a second chance?

Ivan Illich one of the greatest analyst, came to the conclusion - no!

"Mankind has to remove itself  from the planet as fast as possible, to give the rest of  Creation a chance to survive." Everytime when it is claimed we make a progressive step forward - in fact we make two backwards.

http://www.amazon.com/Limits-Medicine-Medical-Nemesis-Expropriation/dp/0...

imo must read ( Ivan Illich analysed already in the 70th that the medical industrial sector (and of course the military industrial sector ) are the most life destructive forces due to compounding money system.There wont be any truthfinding medical science as long as there is a compounding money system, the only interst would be to create more ill people not to heal as the result of the force to grow.

The whole modern medical science thus  is based upon dogmas, dogmas that claim to  improve biology even though they are not able to understand biology itself. - (i.e. the dogma of germ theory, the dogma of molecular genetics.)

Nazi Eugenics is a joke in comparisson to what modern medicical (pseudo science) has already caused to life.

The "useless eater" in africa are the biggest target through the life destructing vehicle of "moder"n medicine.

More african citizens have been poisoned/ killed through life threatening vaccination and HIV medication than jews had been killed in holocaust.

The WHO as a department of the EIS a department of the CIA are the big players, they provide the only "scientific" references on epidemics, the rest of the world believes this as a fact and just checks if their laboratory analysis matches with these reference...

I.E swine flu: if you ask your health department for a first/ introducing biological description of the virus taken from human tissue - You will find none world wide. Except the reference from the WHO/ EIS - derived/ postulated from 4 cases in Mexico.

PS: (and what Obama tries to do, is to guarantee the medical industrial sector its future growth, in the way that he forces every American to subsidize this live destructive medical system through a public insurance system.

I would be glad we had the american health system here in europe, thus i would not feel bent by law to subsidize this shit.)

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68
ewilkerson wrote:

I have a couple questions for people to ponder.  I have,  actually, thought a lot about these questions:

4. Does a certain portion of the population need to go away as our world can not support so many people?

Humans deserve as many chances as we can muster.  Any species that gains self awareness will have to go thru the stages of awareness that we are going through to grow to maturity.  Sure we have behaved stupidly, but we have done so based on out collective understanding at the time.  As we understand more, we can do better, and I think that the whole point.

Probably most sentient beings brought into the universe destroy themselves in the process.  That may explain why we havent seen any other signs of life in the universe so far. 

Assuming that we extinct ourselves, the the next species on earth will have to go through the same process.

In terms of the population, they will go away willingly or unwillingly, planned or unplanned depending on the energy that is left to support them and the environmental condition that we have remaining.  We theoretically have the ability to decide to control this, but practically, we likely wont make use of it, so it will happen however it happens.

Jbarney's picture
Jbarney

Yes, humanity does deserve a second chance.

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

no - women should now take over.

Poet's picture
Poet
ewilkerson wrote:

That's just conjecture. There will be no second chance.

Besides, would we be smart enough to even know it was a second chance? Even if we were told it was a second chance, would we as a collective group of independent actors coalesced into tribes, nation-states, and corporations be stewards or pillagers? I think we all know the answer to that.

Poet

Doug's picture
Doug

1-3  don't matter.  We have the power to save ourselves or destroy ourselves.  Only we can hold us to account and only we can try to save or destroy our and many other species.

4 Whether some number of people have to die to get down to a sustainable population or not, I suspect a significant percentage of us will die (in other than normal ways) along the way.  The four horsemen of the apocalypse have yet to be heard from.

Doug

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
EndGamePlayer wrote:

To answer those questions in the original post, one would have to answer the following question first:

Is humanity collectively intelligent enough to solve modern civilization's current problems?

from SEPTEMBER 2010 - 

When it comes to intelligence, the whole can indeed be greater than the sum of its parts. A new study co-authored by MIT, Carnegie Mellon University, and Union College researchers documents the existence of collective intelligence among groups of people who cooperate well, showing that such intelligence extends beyond the cognitive abilities of the groups' individual members, and that the tendency to cooperate effectively is linked to the number of women in a group.

That collective intelligence, the researchers believe, stems from how well the group works together. For instance, groups whose members had higher levels of "social sensitivity" were more collectively intelligent. "Social sensitivity has to do with how well group members perceive each other's emotions," says Christopher Chabris, a co-author and assistant professor of psychology at Union College in New York. "Also, in groups where one person dominated, the group was less collectively intelligent than in groups where the conversational turns were more evenly distributed," adds Woolley. And teams containing more women demonstrated greater social sensitivity and in turn greater collective intelligence compared to teams containing fewer women.

Moreover, the researchers found that the performance of groups was not primarily due to the individual abilities of the group's members. For instance, the average and maximum intelligence of individual group members did not significantly predict the performance of their groups overall.

...they believe their research has already identified a general principle indicating how the whole adds up to something more than the sum of its parts. As Woolley explains, "It really calls into question our whole notion of what intelligence is. What individuals can do all by themselves is becoming less important; what matters more is what they can do with others and by using technology."

"Having a bunch of smart people in a group doesn't necessarily make the group smart," concludes Malone.

http://www.physorg.com/news205076011.html

Over time, while individual human beings may scale the heights of genius, as a species are we collectively  more intelligent than yeast?

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Heck yeah!  Without mankind, how will the upcoming 'Hobbit' movies ever be completed? Laughing

Seriously though, I think at the very least my 2yo son (and countless other children) deserves a shot at a first chance.  Anyone wants to deny him that chance, and I'll steamroll the son-of-a-bitch....

- Nickbert

Hagen's picture
Hagen
EndGamePlayer wrote:

I agree, right after they should get rid of all men - exept me

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Hagen wrote:
EndGamePlayer wrote:

I agree, right after they should get rid of all men - exept me

Yeah, I guess that would make you one busy guy.Foot in mouth

k-i-smet's picture
k-i-smet

Mankind has failed to ever have a first chance. Rather than behave in a neighborly manner we have historically operated on a me, me, I, I, approach while leaving this aproach in the hand of those deemed Royal , authorities, or experts. Anytime you ask somebody else to be responsible for your quality of life...you shall be disappointed, for the results shall always be skewed to favor their agenda. Consider this statement, "when the road you are on does not go to where you want to be...take a different road." There are countless roads, however I know of only one which honors all of it's travelers with the quality of life they deserve..."Humaneomics." I am not going to expand on that claim...it is your responsibility so search the web for if you do not you have no right to complain.

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash
EndGamePlayer wrote:

LOL!  as hilarious a statement as this is, it actually has merit. 

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

xraymike79, 
I appreciate the input.  Your study was quite interesting.  Men got us into this mess.  Maybe women can get us out.
Travlin's picture
Travlin
nickbert wrote:

Seriously though, I think at the very least my 2yo son (and countless other children) deserves a shot at a first chance.  Anyone wants to deny him that chance, and I'll steamroll the son-of-a-bitch....

I agree Nickbert.  You said it all.

Travlin 

jneo's picture
jneo

Have you been to peopleofWalmart.com  click through that for about 20 minutes, I see no hope for the hopeless/mindless consumer.  

Saffron's picture
Saffron
ewilkerson wrote:
  Your study was quite interesting.  Men got us into this mess.  Maybe women can get us out.

Perhaps this idea has merit ;-)

Three Wise Women would have ...

Asked for directions, arrived on time, helped deliver the baby, cleaned the stable, made a casserole and brought practical gifts. Then there would be

Peace on Earth

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

Actually, I think it is going to boil down to how we handle the upcoming crisis.  Do we learn to share and not be so materialistic?  Do we allow these elites on Wall Street and elsewhere to steer the world?  I guess I could go on, but you get the picture.  If we evolve to cope with our new world, it will have been our doing.  Maybe we will become a new species and leave the horrible parts of  us behind.  Honestly, I'm not hopeful, but we have to try.

inga's picture
inga

Did we ever leave peacefully on self sustaining permaculture small acreage, meeting our own needs and assisting those that did not?

I suspect the Great Pyramids and the Mayan temples were not built by volunteers in their spare time. 

Just as I could never convince my neighbor to turn off the 7 outdoor lights he has lit at night, so ALL can see HIS 5000 sq. ft. temple in the dark and say, 'Wow, that guy is a success in life'.  I have one measily fluorescent squiggly blub on my 1700 sq. ft. home exterior.  If I go out at night, I use a flashlight.  I don't believe he considers that he is ruining the dark sky and wasting resources and polluting the environment (coal fired electricity) to light the temple.  Why on earth does one need all these lights?  We are in the middle of no where.  This kind of lack of consideration is rampant.  It is also part of the psychology of 'Why does it matter, I am just a cog'.

In general, mankind (and women are no exception) are narcisstic, either consciously or not.  When one ponders the web of life we are all involved in, to meet our own needs, it is astounding.

In my family, hubby would rather live in a high rise condo on the coast (which is sinking in my opinion) and have his needs met by a complex net of providers (theives)...poor guy, instead he is stuck in the boonies (cold and snow) gathering eggs out of a coop, because, I lack general trust (paranoid to some) in this 'complex net' (military-industrial complex--add medical insurance complex to that too)  to continue functioning and I feel I have a responsibility to leave something for my grandchildren (even the few not so good looking ones, lol).....a chance.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments